We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2009 SRGC Discussion Weekend  (Read 26445 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: 2009 SRGC Discussion Weekend
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Susan and I would like to add our thanks too. We had a lovely weekend and it was tough to come home! I'm spending my day sorting out our array of purchases. Surprising how much there is. Poor Susan is back at work but I know she is looking here at break times in anticipation of more pictures.

p.s. The wine WAS expensive but a Scottish hotel with two american whiskies and only one single malt really makes me shake my head.... :o

That surprises me! :o They usually have at least the six classics - Oban, Talisker, Cragganmore, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie and Lagavulin - from United Distillers!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
Anthony, there was a very limited range of anything over the bar, be it beer, wines or other spirits. Mind, the prices meant that a limited number of drinks were sold anyway.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

SueG

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
It was a great weekend, and having wrestled my home internet connection and new computer into submission, I can pass on my thanks too to all those people who worked so hard to make it a sucess.

It was a great weekend for catching up with old friends and making new ones. At least next year we'll know how to cope with the lack of decent drinks and maybe bring our own!

I've come home reinspired to get back to my own plants now.

I know I took some pictures - will see if I can get the camera to talk to the computer next.

Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Where is it being held next year?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

SueG

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »
Same place Mark - does two years in a venue before changing, if that makes sense.
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »
Looks like a great event, thanks Cliff for posting photos of Forumists and their wonderful plants  ;D

What a wonderful gift Luit and Vroni gave to the SRGC to raise money, if not a glass!

Maggi looks in her element too but it's too tantalising not knowing what the chocolate choice was  :P

Just wondering........     ::)   was anyone wearing a Forum T-shirt during set-up  ???   
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
Thanks Robin,
There certainly were forum T-shirts much in evidence (but not, unfortunately, in front of my lens) and forum members wore special badges (kindly supplied by JohnnyD.) that allowed identification from quite a distance.  :D
I have a reasonable number of photos still to post - from the show after judging and general shots in the plant sales area and the lecture hall - but these will have to wait until later in the week.
I'm just going to leave you tonight with an image of one of the stars of the weekend - not human, not animal - this was an absolutely beautiful exhibit manhandled to the show venue by Howard & Judy Humphreys - an enormous planted log (once part of an ancient oak gatepost) carved out and planted with this incredible gentian. The ropes required to lift it in and out of the boot of the car are clearly visible but the actual size of the exhibit is disguised by the lack of a scale. More images to follow but please enjoy this amazing piece of planting.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »
Wow! Incredible  :o  What an outstanding idea to show their Gentian off to perfection planted in a log - somehow the blue looks better than ever in the natural wood setting....well done to those who winched it in as well...thanks for the vision Cliff, looking forward to more  :D

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »
Robin,
I understand that the chocolates for Maggi were 'Mozartkugel' from Austria. For those with limited German it translates as Mozart balls.  ::)

Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2009, 12:01:44 PM »
Robin,
I understand that the chocolates for Maggi were 'Mozartkugel' from Austria. For those with limited German it translates as Mozart balls.  ::)

And they were delicious  ;D
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Darren

« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »
They were indeed. I am however concerned that, in her generosity, Maggi may have not gotten many of them herself - the box was looking pretty sparse when it reached our table. Hope you didn't need to resort to nicking Ian's toblerone Maggi?
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
I had a couple, Darren, and there are even some still in the box, which will be photographed to show in due course! Ian has his Toblerone secreted away for himself to enjoy later. During the weekend, we scoffed a large quantity of scrummy dark chocolate covered gingers, made by the fair hand of Johnny Dower..... it was a little greedy to have eaten them all so quickly.... but I was anxious to be able to give Johnny back the rather smart container they came in.... that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.  :-X

Luit and Vroni's choccy surprise was a delight and it was moving to see the warmth that greeted Johnny's announcement of that presentation ..... it seems that I am held in some affection in spite of my wielding a Moderator's stick to occasionally unruly Forumists! ;)

I was also completely taken aback by the arrival, courtesy of Art600 and Luc G., of a large package of fine Belgian Chocs made by Leonidas..... rest assured Ian and I are enjoying those as well.... we have just had two each to round off our lunch. :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:20:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
All in all it was a very chocolaty weekend, but those pleasures were as nothing compared to the opportunity to spend time in the company of so many dear friends.
A real highlight for me was the HUGE sum of money raised by the sale of the Narcissus bulbs..... 84 varieties, over one thousand bulbs, donated by dear Luit Van Delft, with the help of Mr Connoisseur himself, the master of the Connoisseur Collection, Mr Cees Breed.It was a unique chance for the company at the weekend to obtain, for themselves, a little piece of this historic collection.... seldom seen in the hands of such a dedicated collector. Many of the bulbs were well nigh unavailable in commerce at any price and so the opportunity was irresistible to the assembled hundreds, who fell  upon them with delight!  Luit and Cees enabled  a sale which raised £1134 for the SRGC in recognition of the respect and fondness Luit feels for the Forum in bringing together so many gardening friends from around the world.
Another £55 or so  was raised from two collections of 10 (mixed) bulbs , of the finest sort, for the Auction, which goes to the Weekend Funds.
A little present was made of Narcissus 'Birthday Girl' bulbs, from the collection, to Diane Clement, who happened to be celebrating her Birthday on the Friday.... it seemed a most appropriate gift to a Forumist in the circumstances!!

I know that there are those out there in the crowd at the weekend, who, in spite of our best efforts to educate them, and in the face of the magnitude of the generous gift by Luit, inspired by his gratitude for the work of the Forum, who do not grasp the extent and sheer scale of the value to the SRGC worldwide membership, and to an even wider gardening audience of the SRGC Website and of this Forum in bringing together like-minded folk from all over the world... literally, and giving them a place to come together to meet, to exchange views, to swap seeds and plants, to discuss travel plans and plant locations.... and to debate everything from taxonomy through cultivation  and weather forecasting  to cookery and grandchildren.
In short, the forum provides a platform for thousands of us to communicate on a daily basis, as part of what I can truly say I believe is the friendliest club of its kind. Where else can you pose  a question of plant ID and get an answer inside the hour and an enquiry after your health at the same time?! The forumists may not have all the answers, but we will know someone who does, and who will  happily give advice!

As Ian said, looking around a packed lecture room: "see how wonderful it is to have so many good friends and knowledgeable people convene in one place: and realise that that is precisely what we have here, on the forum, every day of every year..... we.... YOU.... are the biggest group of the SRGC, having the most interaction and the widest interests, all addressed as and when you wish... what a boon to the Club this is, how else would so many members at home and abroad feel so involved in matters?"

Those who do not realise the impact and power of this place are, sadly, not likely to have the scales lifted from their eyes, but Ian and I thank you all for the time and effort that each of you puts in to make this place the success that it is. Truly, the SRGC Forum IS Rocking All over the World!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:40:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
Maggi, you always speak from your soul on the subject of the Forum - it is you who give it soul....we missed you on the Forum over the SRGC Discussion WE but managed to carry on knowing that you would be back today to liven things up and bring us together in you own inimitable way    ;)  

I am so glad you had such a celebratory time in the company of Forumists from all over who came to support such an important event  :)

I was eating Swiss chocolate all over the WE whilst gardening in order to join in the spirit of the occasion   ;D

Darren

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »
Very well said Maggi (and indeed Ian on the day). We are still touched and amazed by the generosity of the narcissus bulb donation.

JohnnyD's forumist badges certainly piqued the interest of the non-forumists as we were being quizzed about the forum all weekend.

Glad to hear that there isn't an Aberdonian chocolate famine.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal