We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Have you swapped with a forum member?  (Read 16641 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Have you swapped with a forum member?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2008, 03:17:02 AM »
Lesley,

Do you know if the Ranunc is available over here in Aus?  I just love it, but also realise that it might not take our heat in summer unfortunately.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Lesley, that Ranunculus is just fantastic.. I would love to grow it in my garden :)

And,Yes, I have swapped seeds and plants with forum members and also lots of other friends around the world. It's great fun.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2008, 10:15:01 PM »
Paul I'd be very surprised if the buttercup is around in Australia but then, I'm constantly being surprised. Magnar - and Paul - I'll add your names to a growing list. I just hope it makes LOTS of seed. I would expect the Norwegian climate would suit it very well. Louise and Peter had a dozen or so flowering plants at the DBG Rhodo Day jolly today (I was there at 7.30am and spent almost $200 in 15 mins! :) :'()
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2008, 08:14:34 AM »
I too. Thanks for all generous people of this forum who don't hesit to send some fine plants even I cannot always send so rare ones. It is actived by a special state of mind which takes its roots in the generosity.
Dom
do

Pontoux France

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2008, 10:48:06 AM »
Paul I'd be very surprised if the buttercup is around in Australia but then, I'm constantly being surprised. Magnar - and Paul - I'll add your names to a growing list. I just hope it makes LOTS of seed. I would expect the Norwegian climate would suit it very well. Louise and Peter had a dozen or so flowering plants at the DBG Rhodo Day jolly today (I was there at 7.30am and spent almost $200 in 15 mins! :) :'()

Lesley,

Thanks kindly.  However, given that it is quite unusual it is perhaps best that you send available seed to those in climates that are more suited to it than mine, and then to me if you happen to have any left over.  With such a commodity it is more important to get it to people who are likely to be successful with it (and therefore potentially able to spread it around as well in the future) and only after that to people in climates like mine where summer heat is likely to become a problem I would imagine.  I'd love to grow it, but would hate to lose it and have deprived someone of seed who COULD have been growing it properly.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
I have, but I'm equally happy to part with something I have more than 1 of (must increase that number :-\)  just for the pleasure of it.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

loes

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »
so far I only swapped once as I do not have much in return yet. ;)

that is...I must wait a few months and then I get my plant,in flower I think.

I am patient  :P
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Gerry

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
I joined last year and did a fair bit of swapping [ ;D begging]. Everyone was very kind.

Gerry

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »
More than swapping, I was generous given many plants. I find all members of this forum willing to help and share with others. Yet, I was a bit unable to really thank for what was don for me, but that may change this year. If there is anybody who have way to Tarzanska Lomnica, may send me a PM.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
I haven't swapped jet. Not in this forum that is.
My opinion is. Gardeners will go someday, so do gardens. The plants we shared are the happy footprints of our gardening time.

At the moment I have only some lilium seeds to share. Species:  pumilum, bulbiferum bulbiferum, auratum and a hybrid (siberia x casablanca)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:26:37 PM by partisangardener »
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
i will agree with earlier sentiments: there are some very gernerous folk who sent me things even without me begging ;) in some cases, i do not have things to send them in return, then there are others with whom i will do 2 way swapping, and some to whom i am sending things without asking anything in return--so hopefully, overall it will about balance out :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
It does indeed balance out Cohan. A sends to B who sends to C who sends to D who sends to A. Which reminds me that I have cuttings ready to go to Bulgaria, Canada and Scotland this week. Will be in touch privately. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Eric Locke

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »

On a slightly negative note.
Usually swapping with forum members is a pleasure, but I do find on odd occasions that forum members can be rather rude by not even acknowleging plants/bulbs /seeds  have arrived even after emails to check  on this . >:( >:( >:(   As for a swap !!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a chance. :-X

Eric

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
Eric,

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences.

I have had many, many gifts of plants and many exchanges also and have had only one experience as you describe. On balance, and it's an overwhelming balance, my experiences have been very positive and pleasurable and it is certainly something I would continue.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
I have had a few bad experiences (one very bad ) but most have been good, say 90% good 10% bad,but I would still say it is a worthwhile experience.
I have got lots of plants and bulbs that I would have difficulty obtaining elsewhere, and one soon gets over the disappointments.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal