We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: early narcissus  (Read 23914 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: early narcissus
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
A nice potfull Luc!
You have a camera too?  ;D ;)

;D
Yes Luit, and when I have something worth photographing I even use it
 ;D ;)
Just wondering Luc  :-\ ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Gerry Webster

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
Gerry, my father obtained bulbs of Narcissus romieuxii JCA805 off Jim Archibald in 1971 and selected out several different distinct bulbs, labelling one XXX. Some 20 years later when the stock had increased sufficiently to offer for sale XXX he named it 'Treble Chance'. He also had a selection labelled JCA 805Y (i don't know wether he originally attached the Y to 805 or not) but i'd always assumed that it was an early recognition that these bulbs were Yellow Form of JCA805, ie Y = Yellow. I'm rather vague about this bit but i think the name 'Atlas Gold' possibly came from Fred Hunt ??

Rob - Thanks for the info. I guessed that Y might mean yellow. Your plants of 'Atlas Gold' are in bud & I look forward to seeing the flowers. Unfortunately the buds on 'Treble Chance' were eaten by a b----y slug.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:23 PM »
Gerry, my father obtained bulbs of Narcissus romieuxii JCA805 off Jim Archibald in 1971 and selected out several different distinct bulbs, labelling one XXX. Some 20 years later when the stock had increased sufficiently to offer for sale XXX he named it 'Treble Chance'. He also had a selection labelled JCA 805Y (i don't know wether he originally attached the Y to 805 or not) but i'd always assumed that it was an early recognition that these bulbs were Yellow Form of JCA805, ie Y = Yellow. I'm rather vague about this bit but i think the name 'Atlas Gold' possibly came from Fred Hunt ??

The RHS Daffodil Register shows that it was Potterton and Martin who registestered the name Atlas Gold in 1993 :
http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registerpages/daffdetails.asp?ID=224106

I have spent a frustrating time trying to track down details of the PC awarded to N. 'Atlas Gold'.......Oddly enough it does not seem to mentioned either in the SRGC journals nor in the ASGS bulletins, where Robert Rolfe carefully records the awards made at the Joint Rock Garden Plant Committee.... so, a mystery indeed. I'll see if I can get Fred Hunt's recollections on the matter!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »
It's certainly odd that there seems to be no trace of the PC awarded to 'Atlas Gold' in 2001. I looked through the AGS Bulletins around this date with similarly negative results. However, I did discover an interesting article on Hoop-Petticoats by Ron Beeston (vol 68, June 2000) with some nice photos. I do wonder, though, how many of the numerous names he cites would survive closer scrutiny.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2008, 03:02:46 AM »
My 'Treble Chance' and 'Atlas Gold' and 'Joy Bishop' all came from Potterton and Martin with those names, in June, 1993.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:05:18 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »
Narcissus romieuxii

From the well-known collection by Jim Archibald (JCA805); Morocco, Middle Atlas abv. Ifrane  (1962).
A common form but a pretty one. (My camera on auto doesn't handle these yellows too well).

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
Looks good to me, Gerry.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »
Very pretty indeed Gerry.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »
Anne & David - Thanks for your kind response. I've only been growing these little hoop-petticoats for 3 years or so but I find them very seductive. They may well lure me away from crocus, my first love. As for the image, I'm still a new boy with a digital camera & my photos are still hit & miss.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »
Lovely group. 8) Much more better than anything I have out at the moment. :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2008, 09:57:51 PM »
I'm still a new boy with a digital camera & my photos are still hit & miss.

Point and shoot, hit and miss. It's what we all do Gerry. Well no, I'll accept we have some very fine photographers on the Forum, but many of us are in the definitely amateur class.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2008, 08:41:46 AM »
Very goodlooking potful Gerry !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »
A couple of pictures here of a pot of Narcissus bulbocodium paucinervis praecox (that takes some typing!) which I got from Ian and Maggi in 2007. Leaves but no flowers last year but a flower this time but can't see any other buds yet. My question is though, is it what it says on the tin? Sorry about the somewhat fuzzy close up.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2008, 04:39:54 PM »
A couple of pictures here of a pot of Narcissus bulbocodium paucinervis praecox (that takes some typing!) which I got from Ian and Maggi in 2007. Leaves but no flowers last year but a flower this time but can't see any other buds yet. My question is though, is it what it says on the tin? Sorry about the somewhat fuzzy close up.

David - I've just looked it up in Blanchard's book. The correct name appears to be N bulbocodium subsp.  praecox var. paucinervis (get that on a label!).

On the basis of Blanchard's description it's not easy to determine whether your plant is correctly identified. He describes it as robust, with stems of 15-26cm at flowering time & flowers "quite large" - coronas 24-37mm in diameter. Your plant looks fairly small but of course this could be a matter of cultivation. So who knows?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the correction Gerry I've just amended my file titles and feel quite worn out now ;D  I think I read somewhere that in N b ssp. p p (I'm not typing all that lot again) the stamen is NOT exserted (which I take to mean 'sticking out of the flower?) whilst it is exserted on my flower. Does John Blanchard mention this at all please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal