We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Events 2009  (Read 127675 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2009, 01:40:23 PM »
Paddy, I stopped buying 'Atkinsii' look-alikes a while ago, to see what they were like, as it seemed fairly pointless. I know there are people who have insisted that what was 'found' was a completely new cultivar, presumably a seedling, and maybe some are, but I don't think it's impossible that in some cases an ancient cultivar like 'Atkinsii' might have found its way into a garden decades ago, been forgotten about, then 'discovered' many years later as something 'new'. Then again, as I'm finding with my breeding programme, so many snowdrop seedlings look like others that it's quite possible a new 'Atkinsii' could arise as a seedling where no 'Atkinsii' were before. However, given how long the real 'Atkinsii' has been around, I suspect at least some of the 'new' ones may just be 'Atkinsii' under a different name.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:46:34 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »
Paddy, re. whether to select out 'James Backhouse' from 'Atkinsii' clumps makes sense, I agree with you. It seems a wierd thing to suggest. I think 'Atkinsii' is simply prone to aberrations and that people can select out the oddities if they like, to grow those separately or to keep their 'good' clumps clean, but I wouldn't do that with my 'Atkinsii' and then call them 'James Backhouse'. Why should I? I have no reason to think they are that (if it exists). My Atkinsii came from a very good source and were always 'Atkinsii'. Any aberrant plants from them are in my opinion simply aberrant 'Atkinsii'.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »
Apologies if this one has already been mentioned:

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »
I finally heard from the organiser of the CGS Snowdrop Group day of lectures. She has been sick and has a new telepone number.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »
I finally heard from the organiser of the CGS Snowdrop Group day of lectures. She has been sick and has a new telepone number.

Strange, I left message on the voicemail.  So is the Cerney Event on or not?  It's getting late to register now, Mark could you PM me the new telephone number?  Are you still giving a talk?

johnw
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:51:55 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

steve owen

« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
 ;D ;D
CGS Snowdrop Group newsletters now arriving from Jenny H. Looks like things may be ok.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
Is anyone going to the Snape Cottage (Dorset) Snowdrop Days the last two Sundays in February 1030 to 1700?

http://www.snapecottagegarden.co.uk/snowdrops.htm
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
I will be going ,i only live 40 minutes away.they do a great almond slice .i will be going on the 15th , i think its a great garden . they have a good primula collection too.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

steve owen

« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
emma, once you have scoffed the almond slice, good news; they also have enough good snowdrops to work up room for a second slice........
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

emma T

« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
Thats very true ;D
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »
I've been there and suggest anyone within a hour or two drive really should go.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

emma T

« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
Did anyone go to the wisley snowdrop splendour today?,im heading down there tomorrow ,providing it doesnt snow to hard.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
Is anyone going to the CGS Cerney Event on the 21st?  We will be in the area as we are going to Colesbourne the next day. If we don't attend the CGS can you recommend gardens or nurseries to visit in the immediate vicinity, even naturalized snowdrops?  Hellebores, primulas, other bulbs, trees, shrubs etc etc are all of interest. Will not be doing a car rental.   

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
Did anyone go to the wisley snowdrop splendour today?,im heading down there tomorrow ,providing it doesnt snow to hard.

I went.  I enjoyed the talk although it didn't tell me a huge amount I didn't know.  I have to give a talk to my local gardening club shortly so I am looking for pointers.  There were quite a few snowdrops on sale and I bought a Galanthus platyphyllus, or at least what was supposed to be a Galanthus platyphyllus.  It is in flower now, which is too early according to the Book.  I was disappointed by Wisley's snowdrop display, very few named cultivars but they have some wonderful Witch Hazels and you mustn't miss the butterflies in the glasshouse.
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2009, 11:14:31 PM »
Galanthus platyphyllus is a late flowerer. Mine aren't even close to the surface of the compost yet. They are very distinctive with little or no sinus notch on the inner petals.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal