We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Events 2009  (Read 127650 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #330 on: February 07, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »
I reckon that last years gala had about 180-200, though I expect this years' venue, a school, would be able to tell you the capacity of their hall. So if its a sell out like last year that would be your answer.

Thanks Jo. I guess it makes sense that the gala can never really grow beyond the capacity of the average school hall, as that's the usual sort of venue. I'll print out a couple of hundred flyers to put on seats and a few extras to have about my person in case anyone asks for one.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »
Just home from the visit to Wol and Sue's garden. Unbelievable collection. Biting cold wind poor light so no photos taken. If this event happens again you must book, Anthony, and come see the all the fuss about snowdrops is about. 5 attanded yesterday with out tickets tut tut. Good to see they allowed some who couldnt come yesterday to tag on today

Brillant snowdrops for sale and many I hadnt see before. Going to the RBGE snowdrop event and/or Early Bulb Day? Be there early.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2009, 09:19:52 AM »
I would have gone to the RBGE conference I'd had the same holidays as the schools in Stirling Council. They have the Wed, Thurs and Friday of the week beginning 16th Feb. I get Friday 13th and Monday 16th. :( As the kids are off for staff inservice on 16th & 17th I don't even get both days to myself. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »
Well my 'garden open' ; this weekend is definately cancelled. Its snowing at the moment and we still have a blanket of snow. 
A couple of images from this morning.  I thought Where Em ? was appropriate  ;D ;D

vivienr

« Reply #334 on: February 08, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »
Hi Vivien

Welcome to the Forum. I'm afraid, although my roots are in Huddersfield, I don't know the area well. You could always pop up to the Early Bulb Display here in Dunblane? ;D

I have had my trip out for this year - not sure if I can manage another one but it is tempting. Do you have to be a club member to go?

I am not a Huddersfield local - come from Rothbury in Northumberland - so almost Scottish (the village has a pipe band etc)  :)

(I hope I have done the quote and smiley thing right - I am new to this stuff so please excuse me if I mess up!)
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #335 on: February 08, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »
A few images from Glen Chantry on Friday, not the best of days - as you can see most of the drops were closed as it was so cold, but it gives a little idea of what it was like.  The clumps of snowdrops appear all through the garden, in all the beds, under trees in grass, but one of my favourite sections is under the dogwoods.  Wol extolled the virtues of Magic Flame which you can see in the first snaps (also in Saturdays Telegraph Gardening section).  We had a great plant sale to begin with in the welcome warmth of the polytunnel, then a walk round the garden with Wol, teabreak to warm up and then back to the polytunnel for a chat about snowdrops with Q&A section.  Sue Staines on hand to keep Wol on the straight and narrow!!  The snaps are of some of the nicer clumps and things that I like, first the lovely Yaffle, Sutton Courtenay which is fast becoming a snowdrop close to the heart, Sickle and lastly the desirable Jonathan which is currently at the top of my wants list.  Hope that gives you a little lift if you are under snow - or needing a white fix!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #336 on: February 08, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »
Welcome, Vivien, great to have you here......no need to be a member to come to the Dunblane early bulb day..... and it's FREE!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #337 on: February 08, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »
Brian, lovely shots from Glen Chantry..... but  what is that green stuff?? ::)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #338 on: February 08, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »
Jo, what a shame to have to cancel, but really it had to be done ....just hope that you don't get a lane full of determined visitors, stuck in their cars!!
 :-X

Jo

« Reply #339 on: February 08, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »
Coo, Magic Flame is impressive. I look forward to getting to Glen Chantry one day.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #340 on: February 08, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
Jo - that is such a shame.  I hope you hadn't baked too many cakes.  Are you going to rearrange or leave it until 2010 now?

Regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #341 on: February 08, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
Maggie, after the weather forecasts we were staggered that we hardly saw any snow on our 75mile journey at all!

Jo do come to this wonderful garden, but you must do it soon as this is their last year of opening, they say

"By August we will have been opening to the gardening public for twenty years and Wol will be sixty five. We have decided to retire and close the garden and nursery. Health permitting, we intend to continue gardening at Glen Chantry for our own pleasure without the pressures of running the nursery and opening the garden to the public. It seems fitting to us what started as a passionate hobby should return to that state. We are immensely grateful to the very large number of garden visitors and nursery customers from all over the world whose support, enthusiasm and appreciation has made all the unremitting hard work worthwhile."

http://www.glenchantry.demon.co.uk/
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Jo

« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2009, 01:43:37 PM »
Jo - that is such a shame.  I hope you hadn't baked too many cakes.  Are you going to rearrange or leave it until 2010 now?

Regards

John
[/quote
We'll leave it till next year now and stuff ourselves with cake. I'll appear at the gala and CGS day in a rounder form than normal. ( Diggory as opposed to Atkinsii )
We are open by appointment through the NGS as well so if people are really keen they can phone up.

Brian, I don't suppose Glen Chantry is open for the gala weekend or by appointment then ? I imagine that I would only be able to visit later in spring when they open more regularly  :-\

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #343 on: February 08, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
Alan - re: snow plows

We had a messy little storm last week. As the city's snow removal funds are running low the plow came down the street once on both sides (one previous storm he made 8 passes on both sides!). I guess this time he decided he had better do a good job.  The massive blade went 4 feet over the curb and cleaned out the entire front section of my neighbor's rock garden. I wondered why all the big rocks showing today at the top of the melting pile. A friend tells me his neighbor's double 3 foot high x 2 ft wide rock walls on either side of his driveway entrance, some 6 ft from the curb, were completely destroyed. One should run when you see these plows coming with idiots behind the wheel.

johnw 
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #344 on: February 08, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
Considering the cost of repairing the damage, it's no wonder the city's funds are running low.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal