We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Events 2009  (Read 127687 times)

steve owen

Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »
Did anyone go to the wisley snowdrop splendour today?,im heading down there tomorrow ,providing it doesnt snow to hard.

I was disappointed by Wisley's snowdrop display, very few named cultivars but they have some wonderful Witch Hazels and you mustn't miss the butterflies in the glasshouse.
And the small alpine house (not the big new one) at the top of the rock garden is a dream.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2009, 06:20:01 AM »
Colesbourne...

...can you recommend gardens or nurseries to visit in the immediate vicinity, even naturalized snowdrops?  Hellebores, primulas, other bulbs, trees, shrubs etc etc are all of interest. Will not be doing a car rental.   

Hi John

how will you be getting to Colesbourne if you don't have a car?  I would think it could be a difficult to do on public transport.

I was intending to visit the 'Painswick Rococo Garden' when at Colesbourne this year - but that is not to be.  Haven't been to the Rococo before but looking at the website it seems it can be done by train and bus:

http://www.rococogarden.org.uk/visiting.aspx

If you do go please take lots of photographs so that I can get a feel of the place.   (On a map it looks about 6 miles from Colesbourne accross country).

Cheers

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »
Galanthus platyphyllus is a late flowerer. Mine aren't even close to the surface of the compost yet. They are very distinctive with little or no sinus notch on the inner petals.

This is a picture of the snowdrop that was sold to me as Galanthus platyphyllus.  The leaves are supervolute and dark green with a matt finish.  The flower is quite small so the sinus notch is little, although when magnified in the photograph not so little in proportion to the petals.  If it is not platyphyllus, what could it be?  If it is platyphyllus then somebody has a stock of a much earlier flowering form.  Nobody at Wisley could/would tell me who supplied these snowdrops. 
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
Here is a link to Galanthus platyphyllus: http://www.hot.ee/sibullilled/thumbs/127.jpg The problem lies in that in the past woronowii has been called G. ikariae latifolius, and G. platyphyllus used to be called G. latifolius. Your plant looks to me like woronowii Alan? http://www.hot.ee/sibullilled/thumbs/131.jpg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:10:57 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »
My flower does not look that much like your picture of platyphyllus, Anthony, but I do not think it looks much like woronowii either.  In all the woronowiis I have seen, the inner mark always stops abruptly at the end towards the base as if a line had been drawn across the petal; this is clear on the link you gave.  This does not happen on my "platyphyllus".  My leaves are also more like the matt finish of the leaves in the platyphyllus picture than the gloss finish of the leaves in the woronowii picture.  But my inners are notched and not rounded and the flowering time is much earlier than it is supposed to be.

I guess one problem is that platyphyllus is so little known.  It must be a bit like trying to infer what Galanthus gracilis looks like having only seen Galanthus gracilis Highdown.  Some of the features of Highdown are characteristic of the species but others are not.  Or does the world's entire cultivated stock of platyphyllus derive from the same few bulbs/seeds?
Almost in Scotland.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »
If anyone is in the Midlands in mid February Olive Mason is opening for the NGS. Olive has a fabulous garden and over 400 varieties of snowdrops. Details as follows

Wednesday/Thursday 18/19 February 2009

Olive and David Mason, Dial Park, Chaddesley Corbett, DY10 4QB
Special snowdrop opening for the NGS with over 400 varieties on display. An entrance fee is required.

Open 2.00 pm – 4.00 pm.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
In all the woronowiis I have seen, the inner mark always stops abruptly at the end towards the base as if a line had been drawn across the petal; this is clear on the link you gave.  This does not happen on my "platyphyllus". 

Although my woronowii vary quite a bit in flower (& leaf) size, their inner segment markings are rather uniform.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
Here are three of my woronowii.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »
here I am in Suffolk. It's sooooo cold and snowing heavily
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2009, 10:02:31 PM »
Is anyone going to the CGS Cerney Event on the 21st?  We will be in the area as we are going to Colesbourne the next day. If we don't attend the CGS can you recommend gardens or nurseries to visit in the immediate vicinity, even naturalized snowdrops?  Hellebores, primulas, other bulbs, trees, shrubs etc etc are all of interest. Will not be doing a car rental.   

johnw

I was hoping a few weeks ago to be able to go to the CGS event and could perhaps have helped out but I won't be around then. S****ng business again!  Always gets in the way of snowdrop stuff.   >:(
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »

No snow here yet.... I thought from the forecasts that this snowy weather would hit up here first and then move down  the east coast to England...... it'd be nice if the snow had decided to miss us out altogether.... :P :-\

I feel sorry for all those poor little flowers who are going to get a nasty shock. :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »

Not too much snow in Cambridge so far, so your trip to Anglesey Abbey tomorrow might just make it if the roads are passable.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2009, 10:18:32 PM »
I am grateful to Ashley and Anthony for their pictures of galanthus woronowii (the connection to this thread being that I bought a "suspicious" Galanthus platyphyllus at an RHS event at Wisley).  Anthony, your third picture does resemble my snowdrop although the colour of your leaves seems almost impossibly dark.  Do you have more photos of that one, a close-up of the flower maybe?
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:44 PM »
John -  We just might get to the Cerney Event, the first Saturday train gets in to Cirencester at 10:25 and John Grimshaw is speaking at 11, it will be a scramble.  The event starts at 10 with snacks and sales (too bad missing the snacks). Thanks for the information on Painswick, we'll try to visit if there's time. Sorry you can't make it Martin.

How cold is it there? And how much snow? No need to respond if above -5c or less than 10 inches.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
I am grateful to Ashley and Anthony for their pictures of galanthus woronowii (the connection to this thread being that I bought a "suspicious" Galanthus platyphyllus at an RHS event at Wisley).  Anthony, your third picture does resemble my snowdrop although the colour of your leaves seems almost impossibly dark.  Do you have more photos of that one, a close-up of the flower maybe?
Here's the same plant again, but brighter and close-up.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:26:25 AM by Anthony Darby »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal