We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Events 2009  (Read 127675 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2009, 07:04:56 AM »
How cold is it there? And how much snow? No need to respond if above -5c or less than 10 inches.

johnw

John, you have no idea how little snow it takes to bring massive disruption to road and rail transport in the UK.  We are not used to it so lorry (truck) drivers Jack-knife their lorries and block roads and motorways.  And we don't have the snow ploughs to clear it up in much of the country because snowfalls are so infrequent.  There is a classic line from a rail spokesman that the automatic doors on their rolling stock would not close because we had "the wrong type of snow".  I can only speak for the south of England but here any type of snow is the wrong type of snow!
Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
Just had a phone call from my son who works in London where there is a couple of inches of snow this morning. The Northern tube line was not running, there were no buses, and he walked from Kilburn to Baker Street tube station before picking up a Metropolitan tube to get him to Westminster. On the roads buses and cars appeared to be running fairly normally! We couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »
We couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery ;D

I am sure I could.  hic!  :D

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
I'll join you John. In Feb 1987 we had a foot of snow. Then I lived in Polmont, about 3 miles from my school. I left the house, by car, at 8.15 a.m. About half a mile from the school, where a roundabout wasn't, there was a dip which led up to a railway bridge over the road (the "skew" bridge). Vehicles were going down and up one at a time. I got to school at 10.15 a.m. just in time to meet all my colleugues leaving! ::) I spent the rest of the day in the Whiteside Hotel near my house. By 7 p.m. my friends and I had spent all our cash and decided to cash a cheque. The owner's son said, in future boys, pay by cash. ??? We never went back. :P It's not a pub anymore. The school was closed for a week. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »
Brandy Mount Snowdrop day on Wednesday 4th February has been cancelled due to the snow.  :'(

Anyone contemplating visiting on Saturady 7th and Sunday 8th February are advised to phone before travelling.
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
Alan - I was once traveling by rail from Amsterdam to Antwerp and when we got near Rosendal the train came to a halt and sat "until the snow subsided". There wasn't a quarter of an inch ion the ground and after 20 minutes it had melted into the ground. Then away we went.

I have seen your snowploughs and there are too light for any amount of snow. But what would cope with this?  St. Anthony's, Newfoundland a few years ago.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:54:19 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
Alan - I was once traveling by rail from Amsterdam to Antwerp and when we got near Rosendal the train came to a halt and sat "until the snow subsided". There wasn't a quarter of an inch ion the ground and after 20 minutes it had melted into the ground. Then away we went.

I have seen your snowploughs and there are too light for any amount of snow. But what would cope with this?  St. Anthony's, Newfoundland a few years ago.

johnw

I think it is attitude not the conditions. I went to school in the fifties and never ever had a day off due to snow or bad weather or lack of heating or anything. I rode a motorbike to work through the winter of 1963 (coldest recorded for us 3 months without going above freezing) without proper cold weather gear because that was what was expected. I  got cold and came off a couple of times but gave it little thought. I sometimes wonder whether we haven't just turned into a nation of wimps :-\

Except of course in Newcastle where such weather means the need for a short sleeved tee shirt  ;D
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
Weather can be deceiving. My brother has a friend from the Middle East who has visited since the early 1970s. When first he came here he would regularly leave the house in a short-sleeved shirt on a sunny day in January not understanding that just because the sun was shining it was still cold. He would get about 50 metres and return cursing the strange Irish weather.

Conversely, last summer I walked about on the top of the Schilthorn - the James Bond revolving restaurant in Switzerland - in sandals, shorts and shirt in a foot of fresh snow and found it perfectly comfortable.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »

Conversely, last summer I walked about on the top of the Schilthorn - the James Bond revolving restaurant in Switzerland - in sandals, shorts and shirt in a foot of fresh snow and found it perfectly comfortable.

Paddy

Paddy are you originally from Newcastle then  ???  :o
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »
 ;D
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

steve owen

« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2009, 05:18:19 PM »
Galanthus platyphyllus is a late flowerer. Mine aren't even close to the surface of the compost yet. They are very distinctive with little or no sinus notch on the inner petals.

If it is not platyphyllus, what could it be?  If it is platyphyllus then somebody has a stock of a much earlier flowering form.  Nobody at Wisley could/would tell me who supplied these snowdrops. 

Perhaps its a duck-billed platyphyllus.
Which bring me onto the latest from grand-daughter 1 (aged 6);
Q. What goes "quack quack miaoww"?
A: A plat-billed duckypuss.
Sorry. Its all this snow. ;D ;D ;D
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
Q. What goes "quack quack miaoww"?
A: A plat-billed duckypuss.
Sorry. Its all this snow. ;D ;D ;D

Ho ho!   ;D

I remember being told one at school (all those years ago) - I can't remember the actual joke (sorry  :-[) - but the punchline was 'Duck filled fatty puss'.  ::)

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »

Paddy

Paddy are you originally from Newcastle then  ???  :o

Not at all, Ian, made of tougher stuff altogether!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »
That I can believe Paddy. :) My granny on my mother's side was from Ireland. Her mother was still cycling to church at the age of 90. I think it was the red hot poker in her weekly Guinness that did it? :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:08:44 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal