We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Events 2009  (Read 126395 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
Maggi, my English is bad, not my eyes ;)

I missed out the picture from my post.

Hagen, I apologise if you thought I was being rude to you  ??? :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »
You mean Günter Waldorf (Aicha),

Someone else I should have said Hello to.  I kept my eyes open just in case you were there Hagen.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2009, 11:35:46 PM »
John's photo shows Mark Brown in the middle.

Gunter was there!?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »
I will reiterate Maggi
Mark, can you pick out those other folks you mention..... please?

When you can spare the time picking out their pictures would be very useful Mark. :-*

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
Could some kind soul who was at the Gala tell me who the people were at the far right hand end of the hall selling snowdrops? ...past Colin Mason's stall.  Cheers

Anita Thorpe was at the far right of the hall.

That was a pic of me, John and my arms are a couple of inches longer from carrying bags. I'm too short though for my bags to get Steves' knees, more likely to clonk his ankles  :D

Here are some of the only pics I took, we were pathetic about doing a photo call  :-\

Lovely pics Rob, Comet is great and quite late for me.

I think I might have got Emma T in one

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks Jo, nice pictures from Myddleton House too.  I think that may be Rosie Steele top right in picture 2, she was there.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #456 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
It looks like most of our forum friends are at the RHS show!

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Not me. I'm stuck at the word processor. Have managed to get out and do some pollinating since the gala, though. Finally some decent weather!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »

Not me. I'm stuck at the word processor. Have managed to get out and do some pollinating since the gala, though. Finally some decent weather!

I'm glad things are improving over in the west, let's hope we have seen the last of winter Martin.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »
Here in Aberdeen today it reached the dizzy height of 15 degrees at midday for about half an hour...... dropped off again quite quickly, but it has given us our own "Galanthus Event" .....we have actually been able to see some growing now . Very nice they are too, little white things.... some VERY little, with occasional green bits.... sweet!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:03:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2009, 05:02:52 PM »
I have received this press release from the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority who run Myddleton House......

News Release                   
17th February 2009

Release number 2009/0213   
"What am I bid for this Bulb?

One hundred and fifty pounds! That is the price paid for a rare E. A. Bowles Snowdrop from Myddelton House in the Lee Valley Regional Park at the weekend.

The Snowdrop, Galanthus plicatus Poculiformis Group E. A. Bowles, to give it its full name, was discovered by visiting snowdrop expert, Mike Myers. What makes the Snowdrop unusual among plicatus types is that all of the petals are of equal length and are without any green markings, there are six outer petals and no inner ones and that makes it a unique variety.

It is believed that the plant self hybridised some time ago and was subsequently named after Mr. Bowles, who created the gardens at Myddelton House in the late 19th and 20th Centuries. Bryan Hewitt, Head Gardener at Myddelton House and biographer of E. A. Bowles explained “Mr Bowles was regarded as an acclaimed Crocus expert and has many varieties of Crocus named by him, but Snowdrops were also a special interest and that is why we have these fantastic displays at Myddelton House each year, it is therefore fitting that he now has given his name to this new Snowdrop.”

The bulb from the prestigious plant was dug up and given to plantsman and nurseryman Joe Sharman of Monksilver Nursery in Cottenham, Cambridgeshire to be propagated and at this years International Galanthus Gala, which was staged at Myddelton House last weekend a bulb from the new breed was proudly auctioned and raised £150!

It is planned that the variety should be commercially available as soon as it can be propagated in sufficient numbers, the copyright is held by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, the owners of Myddelton House, and the Regional Park will receive royalties on every bulb sold.

The International Galanthus Gala attracted over 300 visitors on Saturday afternoon from Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands as well as from all over Britain."

(For more information contact Neal Grant, Lee Valley Regional Park Authority on 01992 709830, (M) 07785 303718, (E) ngrant@leevalleypark.org.uk

Lee Valley Regional Park stretches 26 miles along the course of the River Lee from Ware in Hertfordshire to East India Dock Basin on the Thames. The Park’s 10,000 acres comprises of a mix of heritage sites, nature reserves and open green spaces and sports facilities)

I've attached these photos of this very pretty snowdrop, taken by John Finch last year at an RHS London Show(where it was awarded a Preliminary Commendation by the RHS)  and posted just over a year ago in the forum....
105423-0

105425-1

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »

It is planned that the variety should be commercially available as soon as it can be propagated in sufficient numbers, the copyright is held by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, the owners of Myddelton House, and the Regional Park will receive royalties on every bulb sold.

Ups, They give me some time to collect the money over the next 5 years. That`s OK, I mean! ;)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #462 on: February 17, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »
I have received this press release from the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority who run Myddleton House......

News Release                   
17th February 2009

It is planned that the variety should be commercially available as soon as it can be propagated in sufficient numbers, the copyright is held by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, the owners of Myddelton House, and the Regional Park will receive royalties on every bulb sold......

Can you copyright a bulb??!??  Does the person who paid £150 for one also have to pay royalties if she manages to bulk it up and then sells some of the offsets?
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #463 on: February 17, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
Can you copyright a bulb??!??  Does the person who paid £150 for one also have to pay royalties if she manages to bulk it up and then sells some of the offsets?

Yes, and yes. It must have been registered under the Plant Breeders' Rights legislation, which works in a similar way to copyright, provided the plant or bulb is genuinely distinctive and hasn't been offered for sale before registration.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #464 on: February 17, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Sorry, meant to say that obviously the plant or bulb must be new as well as distinctive.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal