We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14874 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »
November seems a very sparse month in the SH, largely, I suspect, due to Fermi's inability to post pics at present. Hurry home Fermi.

The weather here may have something to do with it too. Temps in the high 20s, low 30s with hot, searing winds and no sign of rain even though the weather forecasters promise some, every evening. What liars they are!

These have coped reasonably well with the weather this last week. First some saponarias.

Saponaria 'Olivana'
94724-0

Then a seedling of my own between 'Olivana' and ocymoides. I call it S. 'Gala Day' as my nursery is Gala Plants.
94726-1

This is a seedling from 'Gala Day,' the father being S. pumilio.
94728-2

Then S. pumilio itself.
94730-3

And S. lutea
94732-4

Unfortunately I've missed taking a pic of S. pumilio x S. lutea. In a batch of S. pumilio seedlings, 4 were dull instead of shiny leaved and even tighter growing, so I put them aside and when they flowered the colour was a peachy pink and the flowers in little, very short-stemmed clusters - as in S. lutea - rather than in single flowers - as in S. pumilio. The 4 are  identical. They're in a different place and flowered a little earlier and are finished by now. I'll get them next year hopefully. They are very small-growing plants, perfect for a trough.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
I had totally forgotten I had a batch of seedlings of Lilium japonicum, from Jim Archibald I think, until I saw this rather scruffy flower, the first to appear on a plant just 15 cms high, the result of ongoing wind and drought. There are about 10 I think so they'll be better treated from now on. The colour is really lovely.
94734-0

Then my annual pic of Lewisia rediviva alba. I'm always so pleased it hasn't rotted through the winter that I take its picture to celebrate.
94736-1

A small nursery batch of Primula cockburniana.
94738-2

Allium unifolium surrounded by dying foliage from earlier bulbs. It needs to be planted out.
94740-3

Back in the old Forum there was a super plant pictured, called Dicentra 'Ivory Hearts,' I think a hybrid of D. peregrina and another species. When it appeared on a seedlist two years ago I got 3 seeds only one of which came up but here it is and I'm delighted with it. I'd say the colour is pure white rather than ivory but it has the locket-shaped flower of D. peregrina over very pretty foliage.
94742-4

94744-5

And last for today, the charming little Jasminum parkeri. My mother's plant of this made a huge ball about a metre high and wide but mine is staying small and flat. About 3 months ago there was seed which I meant to collect - little black berry-like fruits - but when I went to get them next day, every one was gone. Where? What ate them or took them away?
94746-6
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »
Now, Lesley, don't begrudge Fermi his holiday... you have some super tinhings to show us too.
I always think that Saponarias are rather neglected plants.... nobody seems to take much interest in them yet there are some really good plants, and colours, as Lesley shows us.  { I think some Silene tend to fall into this category too, with only a few small types being considered choice, when there is a HUGE plant of a Silene ????? ( name completely escapes me  :-[ :-\ :-X) in a front garden up the road from here which has grown, over about twenty years, to be over a metre and a half across and is a dome about 0.3m high and it flowers (white) from the early spring to most of the way through the winter... it's still flowering now!}

The Lewisia rediviva alba is exquisite, who could resist that?

Do you know, Jasminum parkeri never liked life here?  Sat around for years looking pathetic then died. :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
What a terrible time of year for you Lesley.  ??? ::) ;D
If you were living in my area I would right away jump in my car and buy all your Saponaria hybrids.
They seem to hybridize very easy with you?  This one between 'Olivana' and ocymoides, S. 'Gala Day' must be
a very good plant, rich flowering and not so enormous as S. ocymoides.
S. pumilio would not grow with me but hybrids have a good chance.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 10:37:42 PM »

The Lewisia rediviva alba is exquisite

I'll say!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:44 AM »
I no sooner wrote about the very dry conditions here - the soil is dust dry to a great depth - than we had a downpour! It lasted all of three minutes and then disappeared. No more rain but the temp has plummeted from 22C when I got up at 7am to 10C now. I have a heater on as I type!

Fermi's had QUITE enough time away.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 04:27:04 AM »
Fermi's had QUITE enough time away.
Not quite enough!
Very nice saponarias, Lesley. I grow S. caespitosa and even got enough seed to send to one of the exchanges this year! I'll have to look out for hybrids. I've never got seed of S. pumilio to germinate, so I might ask you for soem next season!
cheers
fermi
PS I'm back in Oz on December 1st but don't get back to work till the 8th; may have to sneak in to use the computer!
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 04:54:47 AM »
Lesley,

Thanks for the great pics!!  particularly that stunning Lewisia, and that wonderful orange Primula I've never heard of before.  Very, very nice!!

I have lots in flower here at the moment and took a bunch of photos yesterday so hopefully will upload some pics to this topic this evening.  Lots of post in the ANBG thread as well as SO much in flower there at the moment.

Thanks again for the pics.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:40 AM »
Wow Lesley !  What a treat !
I agree with Maggi, I also find Saponarias underrated - perhaps many of them are too easy...  ;D

I "had" Dicentra "Ivory Hearts" as well - bought and planted it in May 2007 - it flowered it's heart out (literally) until late autumn, alas... it didn't survive winter...  :'(

.... and about that L. rediviva.... I hope you'll be posting more pictures of it for the next 10-15 years, I can never get enough of it !

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the white Lewisia rediviva has never set any seed though I do hand-pollinate. I suppose I need another clone. But there should be plenty on the Primula and the Saponarias. Of course you might get hybrids  :) as I grow all mine in a patch in a raised bed, close proximity. I agree that as a genus it is very under-rated, a shame because every one is a super plant, very floriferous, lovely colours and good alpine plant habit.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
That little white Lewisa rediviva is a beauty Lesley, I've been trying to get hold of one for ages. If I ever find any seed I'll share it with you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
Hello All, I'm back after an absence of some months - and have I missed you and your interesting discourse! It is great to read your interesting posts once again and drool over your excellent pictures. I needed a period of time to sort my future out, which now seems reasonably assured - let no more be said!

I have a few things flowering in my collection right now (or about to) which give me great joy every year:

Sandersonia aurantiaca which grows in the midlands region of Natal, not too far from where I live and Tigridia durangense, a midget Tigridia with stunning denim-blue flowers from South America:

Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
Rogan,

Excellent pics.  The first is about 15cm tall in my garden at the moment, and the second is currently about 2cm tall in a pot on my back verandah at the moment.  You're well ahead of me flowering-wise obviously.  ;)  Lovely to see them both, and welcome back.  Hopefully all goes well for you now.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2008, 11:14:33 AM »
Rogan, so good to have you back again..... all best wishes to you, of course  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
Nice to see you back Rogan.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal