We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14688 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »
Lesley and Rogan,

My compliments on beautiful flowers; really enjoyed them.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 08:48:32 PM »
Than you Paddy, and welcome back Rogan. The Sandersonia turned up in my garden a few years ago, goodness knows from where, maybe a seed in a pot from somewhere. The Tigridia is lovely.

I do hope Fermi is not getting caught up in all that beastliness in Mumbai. I imagine his homeward trip from Goa would include a flight from there.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
Hi Rogan:

Great to hear of you.
May I mention that T. durangense and a number of others come from Mexico (North America) and not from South America.

"Tigridia durangense, a midget Tigridia with stunning denim-blue flowers from South America:

Best regards
Alberto

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:33:07 AM by Maggi Young »
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2008, 10:33:17 AM »
I do hope Fermi is not getting caught up in all that beastliness in Mumbai. I imagine his homeward trip from Goa would include a flight from there.
Hi Lesley,
thanks for your concern; we fly back tomorrow night via Bangalore, so hopefully no problems spring up there!
Looking forward to being able to download and re-size my pics to be able to post some to the Forum!
Welcome back Rogan! We've missed you.
Does the Tigridia set seed for you? ;)
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »
Hi all

Just a couple of pics of some things that have just finished flowering

The Stenomesson, I asssume, is S. miniata.

The Romulea flowered a year after sowing the seed.  Not the most exciting flower but cute.

Ross

Christchurch, New Zealand

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »
I do look the look of the Stenomesson Ross.

The following pics are of bulbs i've grown from seed flowering currently for the first time.

Firstly Geissorhiza ornithogaloides although my reference material does not mention a dark centre .While typical of a number of the species in having very small flowers the bright colouring would make a dazzling sight when grown in numbers.

Ixiolirion tataricum x NARGS sown march 05.A darker blue than what is shown.

The label is faded on this Gladiolus--however in having anthers longer than filaments i think i'm correct in keying it out as G.italicus.

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
Ross,

Great pics.  Nice Urceolina (now Stenomesson).

Dave,

That Geissorhiza is a stunner!!  Beautiful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
Fermi asks:

"Does the Tigridia set seed for you?"

Yes it does, and I normally have some to spare - I'll put you 'on the list' if you'd like? I do have some seed left over from last year, but I'd prefer to send you fresh...

Alberto wrote:

"May I mention that T. durangense and a number of others come from Mexico (North America) and not from South America.

My apologies to Tigridia durangense and Mexico - of course I know it comes from there but, I was writing without engaging my brain - once again!
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2008, 10:53:43 AM »
Rogan,

I hope there are more Tigridia pics to come from you soon?  A genus I love, but still so many species out there that I don't grow and have yet to discover!  ;D 
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »
I live in a climate bordering on the sub-tropical, so most species of Tigridia are not very happy here - even T. pavonia is lackluster at the best of times. For some reason though, T. durangense is as happy as a lark and grows and flowers prolifically for me. I also have several plants of T. orthantha, but once again they barely survive from one year to the next and only make an appearance above soil level in mid-summer and are gone by autumn. So I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed!  :-[

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
Rogan,

A shame, I was hoping that you would be showing more.  T. durangense is something you don't normally see, so usually indicates a collector, but I can see your reasons for not growing many more.  ;)  If they don't grow in your climate there is not really THAT much you can do.  ;D

So do you grow Cypellas?  Many of those like a bit more warmth?  I have Cypella aquatilis in lower here at the moment, in a water bowl.  Seems very strange to have a Cypella growing in complete saturation.  :o  Very happy though.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2008, 01:46:56 AM »
I have Cypella aquatilis in lower here at the moment, in a water bowl. 
Lower than what - the waterlilies? ;D ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
(back in Australia! And very happy to be home)
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2008, 03:33:27 AM »
Er, Ok.... I have it in flower here at the moment.  :P

So are you home-home yet, or back in Aus but not yet actually home?  Glad to hear that you got through the Indian troubles and home safely.  Was a bit worried that you'd get caught up in some of the transport problems.  Great to hear that you weren't.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »
"So do you grow Cypellas?"

Fantastic! Just love 'em! Cypellas, Herbertias, Alophias, Calydoreas, etc. - but not a complete collection by any means.

If I had to choose a favorite it would have to be Cypella hauthalli opalina - just an amazingly beautiful little plant and easy in my conditions:

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2008, 09:04:52 AM »
Rogan,

Well then you'll still have plenty of "nearly Tigridias" for me to enjoy!  ;D  That Cypella is a stunner isn't it?  It isn't one I grow, but I don't think I have yet seen a "bad" picture of it.  Yours is a particularly nice pic, thanks for posting!!  It has such a great form to it, doesn't it?  It will be interesting to see what other ones you are growing.... if you get time to post pics of them of course, as I understand how time just gets away from you.  I have numerous pics to post myself, but never seem to get the time to prepare and post them.  ::)  Too many nice things to view up here, rather than preparing my own pics.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal