We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scotland tour May 2009 - suggestions?  (Read 6524 times)

Christina Fryle

• Fryle - Christina & Leif
Scotland tour May 2009 - suggestions?
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
We are planning a journey for our garden society to Scotland in May. I believe there will be a few participants (beside myself) who are SRGC members. Of course we will visit several of the well known official gardens and nurseries - but it would be very interesting and fun to see some private gardens too.

Just to let you know something about who we are: Our members have a keen interest in plants; how to grow and propagate them. Our society has a seedlist much like that of the SRGC. Most of us are familiar with the Latin names of plants.

We will hire a coach (suggestions for a good coach company are welcome too!) to travel around. We will start out from Edinburgh om May 4 travelling west with stops like Greenbank Garden, Benmore Botanic Garden, Crarae Castle, Arduaine Castle then northeast to Cluny House, Explorers in Pitlochry, perhaps Christieīs Alpines, Glendoick, Bellīs Cherrybank Gardens. Then south towards Edinburgh again with stops like Binny Plants, Kevock Garden and (if they will let us visit) the private Inwood and Shepherd House Gardens. And of course the Botanic Gardens of Edinburgh on our last day, May 9. 

That should give you an idea of the route - but nothing is definitely set yet. Do you (or someone you know) have a garden we could visit along the way? We would really like to meet ordinary, but dedicated, private gardeners, like ourselves. From other journeys we made I know both the garden owner and the visitors usually gets a lot out of those visits.

And of course; any time you are thinking of a Swedish garden tour I will be delighted to help you out!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:51:30 PM by Christina Fryle »
Christina Fryle, Varberg, Sweden/Peloponnese, Greece
Editor of the members journal for STA - The Swedish Society of Garden Amateurs.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Scotland tour May 2009 - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
Hello, Christina, lovely to have you join in the Forum.
It sounds like  you already have some great plans for your Scottish Trip, but I do not doubt that our Forumists will have some good ideas for you, too!

My husband, Ian Young, says, has he met you at the Botanic Gardens in Gothenberg, a few years ago? ( he is not good with  remembering people names!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Christina Fryle

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming, Maggie! Yes, I met Ian in Gothenburg Botanic Gardens a few years ago. Lots of other friendly people too - and lots of whiskey ;-) One of the best things with the place I live in is that itīs only one hours drive from Gothenburg, so itīs easy to get inspiration.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Christina, please do not drive east from Edinburgh, you will end up in the North Sea ! Travel west towards Glasgow.  I have a few more suggestions for the west coast.
Geilston Gardens near Helensburgh ( National Trust for Scotland) is a beautiful small estate which would be at its best about this time
Glen Arn is a must if you like Rhododendrons.
Each of these could be done easily on the one day and still leave time to reach Benmore about 1 1/2 hours later.
Benmore can take me up to 4 hours to get round if all the rhododendrons are flower.
From Benmore to Crarae is about 1 1/2 hours and you could stop at Ardkinglass nurseries for a look at the plants - mainly Azaleas, Rhododendrons and  trees
I could certainly recommend Achamore gardens on the Isle of Gigha if you had time but this would take the best part of a day.  However, it is one of those gardens that live in your memory -partly because of its location.
In Perth, Branklyn gardens is a must. It's probably the best small garden in the country.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:22 PM »
Hi Christina,
Just a thought ... would any of the SRGC groups be holding a meeting during your stay ... evenings are also a good time to watch lectures, meet other enthusiasts and talk excitedly about plants.  Hope you have a magnificent trip ... Maggi, would their be any Shows that they could attend ... I don't have the dates and venues to hand?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »
Maggi, would their be any Shows that they could attend ... I don't have the dates and venues to hand?
I'm working on it, Cliff! Sadly, most Groups finish their meetings in April and the nearest show is Glasgow ( held in Milngavie) on the 2nd May. :(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:44:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Christina Fryle

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »
Thanks for the warning, TC! Of course we would like to see some other water than the North Sea - and not leave the country so soon after landing. Sadly enough there is no ferry from Gothenburg anymore, so we canīt do as much plant shopping as we would like. Alpines will be OK though. You could put quite a few in a suitcase...

I checked the show times before and noticed we just missed the one on May 2. But maybe someone from our group will arrive early enough to go there. We are travelling to/from Scotland on our own as we are arriving from different places in Sweden - very far apart. It is easy to book a cheap flight from here - but not for a whole group.

In late August I visited Geilston. It was very nice - and obviously a spring garden. But I was a little disappointed by the lack of labels. I guess it is the same with most of you. Donīt you want to know the name when you see a plant you like?
I will check Glen Arn as Rhododendron is a special interest with quite a few of our members.
Branklyn is on my wish list - now it popped up on my special wish list!

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:18:41 PM »
Dear Christina,
I would suggest you contact all of the places you intend to visit a bit in advance,
as I am sure they would kindly offer you tea and cakes etc if they know you have come
along way to see them.
Giles

You will need to plan another visit further North sometime to see Inverewe (my favourite garden).
A fine loch-side site with a nice walled garden and lots of rhododendrons and weird stuff.

Christina Fryle

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:45:40 PM »
Yes, I will contact all the gardens well in advance. And I am sure we will arrange more journeys to Scotland in the future to see other parts of the country as well. One up north - and one south at least. I would really like to visit Inverewe some day.

As it is tiring to spend too much time on the roads we will concentrate on one part of the country at a time.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
As it is tiring to spend too much time on the roads we will concentrate on one part of the country at a time.
I think that is sensible, Christina. Scottish roads are not always the best and sometimes, while the distance in miles/kms may look quite short, the actual journey time may be quite long and, as you say, tiring.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
Hi Christina, I am sure that your planned trip will be superb. We here at Christie's nursery would be delighted to see you all and if you come in late May near the end then perhaps part of your trip could be a visit to Gardening Scotland at the end of May a great day out for everyone with masses of plants for sale Floral displays fancy pots sweeping brushes,everything for gardens, the biggest show in Scotland. At our nursery here in Kirriemuir we would have masses of meconopsis (big Blue poppies)and primulas with other plants to interest you plus a free cup of tea or whatever, sorry we could not stretch to the whisky but it would be wonderful to meet you. cheers Ian the Christie kind,
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »
I am sure mum would be happy to have your group, she doesn't have any visits for next year yet. She is about 4mls from Perth.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Christina Fryle

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »
Thanks a lot, Ian, for your kind invitation. As you could see in my first post we were already hoping you would take us in! Our journey is planned to take place May 4-9, so we will miss the highlights of the end of the month. But hopefully there will be a lot to see anyway.

Christina Fryle

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Susan! Perhaps it is rude of me - but as I am new to this forum I am not sure who your mum is? So I would not know who to ask...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »
Christina, I think that early May will be better for your trip just becasue ofthe big garden show at the end of the month.... at the beginning of the month people will be less busy and have more time for visitors, I hope!
 Susan's wonderful Mum and Dad are Jean and Tom Band who have a super garden in the village of Pitcaringreen, just a few lies out of Perth.... I do not doubt that you can contact Jean via a pm to Susan, via this forum and Susan will be your liason officer!! 8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal