We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife -Winter 2008  (Read 36526 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Wildlife -Winter 2008
« Reply #300 on: January 30, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »
Really tough on animals, that kind of heat but Lachie looks at ease. How beautifully clean and white he is. When we had a cat he was always filthy as he liked to dig in the garden and there were always crumbs of mud through his fur. Lachie is pristine in comparison.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »
Poor little Lily - I bet you'll be giving her lots of fuss and cuddles when she gets home, maybe a special meal for her tea?
[/quote]

I am jealous of Lily !!  I have just come back from the dentist after root canal treatment - without anaesthetic - and payed the dentist's bill.
My lady wife and I have been arguing heatedly over the identification of my scanned orchid pictures since I got back, and my special meal was carrot soup.
At my age someone will have to explain what is meant by"fuss and cuddles".
I am coming back as a dog !!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Tom, I think these days the size of the bill causes as much pain as the treatment.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
without anaesthetic
root canal work.....without anaesthetic...... you'd have to catch me first :o

Last time I had root canal treatment,  my dentist complimented me on how calm I seemed to be - I am a nervous  dental patient at the best of times -I told him that I was determined to put a brave face on things, regardless.... even if it were not going to be the most fun I'd ever had with my clothes on.....well, he says, frankly we can ALL take our clothes of for this, but it's still not going to be fun ::) :o ;D 
....then we had to wait for five minutes while the dental nurse recovered her equilibrium ..... those girls are easily shocked. :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
 ;D ;D :o

Carol Shaw

« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
At my age someone will have to explain what is meant by"fuss and cuddles".
I am coming back as a dog !!
Just make sure it is Maggi's dog  :)
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Roma

« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »
Managed to get a pic of the black pheasant today.  He was quite wary but didn't go too far.  He kept hiding behind trees as I was stalking him but manged to get him in the neighbours' garden.  It was taken from a good bit away and after zooming in and cropping it is not a very good picture but I'm sharing it with you anyway.  I'll keep trying to get closer. The purple and green sheen on his feathers is beautiful.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #307 on: January 31, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »
Camperdown Park in Dundee had a group of superb black pheasants, but that was over 20 years ago. A friend of mine us to spend his summers working for Dundee council, and has still got the scar fromwhen he was cleaning out the Arctic foxes. "What are you frightened of son? They dinna bite." "Aye right" :( His student buddie at the time was one George Galloway. He used to keep watch for the gaffer while my pall would cut a pensioner's grass for 50p.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2009, 12:08:09 AM »
Poor little Lily - I bet you'll be giving her lots of fuss and cuddles when she gets home, maybe a special meal for her tea?

I am jealous of Lily !!  I have just come back from the dentist after root canal treatment - without anaesthetic - and payed the dentist's bill.
[/quote]

I am the world's greatest coward when a visit to the dentist is required.  I was told that there was no need for an anaesthetic when I had root canal treatment, as the nerve was dead.  My white knuckles needed to be seen to be believed as the drill started.  No pain  ;D, even when the dentist had to get an even longer drill to cope with my extra long root. 
Still a coward when visiting, and always ask for an injection if there is a filling required - blow the expense, I cannot stand pain.  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2009, 05:37:05 AM »
We are lucky in Dunedin to have NZ's only dental school, wonderful for low income people who simply can't afford dentistry, and for wooses like me who get scared. Looked after by charming and delightful 4th and 5th year students, mostly Asian, who treat me as if I were made of delicate and precious porcelain. No pain, and approx one 10th the cost of usual dentist. Average waiting time per visit this last year? - 3 minutes!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carol Shaw

« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »
Thanks to a labour government NHS dentists have just about ceased to exist, at least where we live! The practice both David & I go to used to be NHS then simply changed to being private... we don't get any better treatment we just pay more. The practice tried to get us to take out insurance, this was going to cost around £30 a month and this was a good few years ago; we simply pay as we go and so far have never paid the equivalent of £30 a month for a year's treatment. Usually it is 2 checkup's a year each and occasionally a replacement filling.  ;D
Carol

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2009, 04:07:40 PM »
I'm having two crowns on the NHS at that's costing me ~£200. :o Don't know why it costs so much when a white crown is US$50 and a gold US$100. I'm having one of each as they don't do white crowns on the NHS for molars (i.e. beyond the 5th tooth) and it would cost me 300 quid extra for a white one!!! Maybe we could get Sandy to explain.....?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Carol Shaw

« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »
I'm having two crowns on the NHS at that's costing me ~£200. :o Don't know why it costs so much when a white crown is US$50 and a gold US$100. I'm having one of each as they don't do white crowns on the NHS for molars (i.e. beyond the 5th tooth) and it would cost me 300 quid extra for a white one!!! Maybe we could get Sandy to explain.....?

Back in the good old days when we had a NHS dentist he crowned a molar for me with an white crown... probably just a money issue Anthony. The self same dentist offered to rearrange my front teeth for me as one of my front teeth is slightly bucked - his point being that I was paying the maximum the NHS could charge at that time so I might as well have that done too. I quizzed him as to the strength of the crown as opposed to my own tooth and decided against. I sometimes wonder if I should have had done.
Carol

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #313 on: February 01, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
Hi Roma, great shot of the Black Pheasant we have one or two ordinary ones here at the nursery but do not allow any more as they cause much destruction hope you can get another shot(picture that is) and post, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
Sorry, we really seem to have our teeth into this issue. We have a Russian vendor at my Market and I believe she carries her life savings in her mouth. When she smiles, her mouth lights up in flashes of gold. All her teeth seem to be capped or crowned with the bright stuff.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal