We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 18691 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: December 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:09 PM »
A double mauve Campanula which I don't have a name for.  Quite a delicate little thing to less than 30cm tall.  Doesn't seem to spread much either.  I'm sure I've asked about a name for this before, but I don't think we ever came up with one?

Paul, Campanula trachelium 'Bernice is a possibility, but this grows here about 50 cm.
But looking at the leaves it might be something like C. trachelium or macrantha etc.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 02:23:18 AM »
Thanks Luit.  I'll look them up when I get the chance.  That's way more than I had to go on before. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 05:08:24 AM »
A double mauve Campanula which I don't have a name for.  Quite a delicate little thing to less than 30cm tall.  Doesn't seem to spread much either.  I'm sure I've asked about a name for this before, but I don't think we ever came up with one?

Paul, Campanula trachelium 'Bernice is a possibility, but this grows here about 50 cm.
But looking at the leaves it might be something like C. trachelium or macrantha etc.

Paul,
 I too think it could be C. trachelium 'Bernice', which was available from David Glenn , and other nurseries.
      Otto.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:30:39 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 05:10:13 AM »
Paul,
 I too think it could be C. trachelium 'Bernice', which was available from David Glenn , and other nurseries.
      Otto.
Otto,

Thanks for the confirmation that it is here in Australia.  I picked it up at a nursery somewhere without a name, so good chance it originated somewhere down there at some stage.

Thanks again.
P.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
I have got to post a pic of something that opened for me today.... Deinanthe caerulea  I am SO chuffed.  Otto gave this to me when I was down there visiting, and to be honest I had no idea what it was and I never got around to looking it up.  When the first flower opened today I was amazed.  I had no idea what to expect, but it certainly wasn't this!!!  The pic shows this as mauve/lavender, when it is really a beautiful blue.  I'll try to get a better pic of the colour at some point in a different light, but I couldn't wait to post the pics up so I did it anyway.  The flower is just so different.  I hope that this isn't a common plant overseas and that everyone doesn't just think "so what".... it certainly isn't common to me, that is for sure!!  ;D

Thank you SO much Otto.  I am totally blown away.  8)

Added 11-12-08 : Actually, the colour in this pic is spot on.  It IS a lovely lavender colour not true blue.  ::)  I think my brain is turning to mush!  :o
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:28:39 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »
Fab plant, Paul.... in the Hydrangeaceae..... correct spelling of name is Deinanthe caerulea
The flower certainly puts me more in mind of a passiflora,  than a hydrangea.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
Sorry Maggi, that would be my lysdexic typing (well actually my reading from the tag obviously).  ;)   I've corrected the name.
We too commented on the Passiflora-like flowers, but the funny little "bract" near the buds is very hydrangea-like.  Never seen anything quite like it, so VERY cool.  8)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:57:39 AM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 05:16:48 AM »
Howdy All,

I've just updated the closeup pic of the flower of the Deinanthe.... it didn't seem to be able to open up the larger version, so I have put a new one up there and it seems to be working now.  Just wanted to let people know in case they had tried and it didn't work.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »
Paul,
Either you are a superb photographer or you have an extraordinary large flowering plant (or both?). I never noticed so good looking flowers on my plant - now I am aware of that it is something very special!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 06:58:56 AM »
Gerd,

Each of the two flowers I have out currently on the plant (2 separate shoots, the first flower on each) are around 3.5cm across. The flowers angle downwards, at around 45' or so.  The plant in total is approximately 25cm tall.

So does that put me into the "superb photographer" or "extraordinarily large flowering plant" category?  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:20 AM »
Paul this is indeed a super picture of Deinanthe.
Really a so called "must have"plant. I grow it somewhere in the shade and must have made pics of
it too, but never managed to make such one like yours, because its flowers are hanging a bit and
the plant with me is rather low by the ground.
I presume your plant is still in a pot? I don't believe it likes being in pots too long. :-\
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
Luit,

Yes, the plant is still in a pot.  I will be keeping it there too I think, as I will be able to keep track of it (And therefore look after it) better there.  I'm intending to pot it carefully up into a bigger pot very soon, disturbing it as little as possible, just to give it some more root insulation for summer as it is in a small pot at the moment.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
A few more from our place.
The first is a Pelargonium rapaceum I got last year from Garry and Sue Reid who sell a lot of bulbs, especially from South AFrica.
96204-0

96206-1

96208-2
It has foliage which is reminescent of a pulsatilla!
96210-3
The next is also from the Reids as Zephyranthes zeymeri,
96212-4

96214-5
A new flower is Alstroemeria diluta which was from last year's NARGS Seedex,
96216-6
It's a bit elongated from being grown in the shadehouse, I think.
Conanthera campanulata flowers in the garden each summer but seems to be starting earlier.
A bit hard for me to capture on film; I'll have to invest in a piece of grey cardboard! ;D
96218-7
Another new flower is a tiny penstemon, P. caespitosa, raised from NARGS Seedex 2004,
96220-8
cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Fermi,

All great stuff!!  Love the Pelargonium in particular.  Thoroughly enjoying the red one I got from you in September (which you posted pics of here recently) at the moment.  Have you noticed that unlike most Pelargoniums I've seen it keeps shooting new flowerheads from the fork at the top of the flowering stem?  It has the the almost pinnate leaves at the bottom, then the flowering stem, and at the top there is a "branch" from which new flowers are appearing.  I have 3 flowerheads produced so far, but no idea whether there will be more.  Such a great red too.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
Paul are you talking about P. 'Ardens'?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal