We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 18922 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: December 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:17 AM »
Mark,

No, although that is one I covet badly for that glorious colour.  Midway down the first page of this topic Fermi posted a pic of a red Pelargonium that he has in flower at the moment, plus a pic of it's leaves.  I got a pot of it from him when I was visiting in September and it is flowering for me to.  Great colour, and interesting leaves, but I have never seen quite the arrangement of the buds on the stems before.  I have taken a pic of mine if you're interested?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »
Nice Fermi. The Zephyranthes and the Conanthera take my eye in particular. I'm growing Conanthera campanulata from seed so now I know what to look forward to in a couple of years time.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »
Nice Fermi. The Zephyranthes and the Conanthera take my eye in particular. I'm growing Conanthera campanulata from seed so now I know what to look forward to in a couple of years time.
Hi David,
there are a few other conanthera species that are worth growing and more showy that this one; I'm hoping to get a few more from seed soon.
This morning I got a couple of pics in the garden,
Oenothera missouriensis,
96562-0
And O. acaulis
96564-1
A spiny dianthus which I'm told is now D. webbianus, but I know as D. erinaceus,
96566-2

96568-3
And if you liked the zephyranthes, here's the promise of things to come after the rain on the weekend!
96570-4

96572-5
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:26:52 PM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 02:51:43 PM »
Hi Fermi, it will be a year or two before I can risk any Zephyranthes out in the garden. Thanks to Hans Joschco I have seed growing from Z. chlorosolen, Z primulina and Z smalli.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »
Paul that Deinanthe is lovely and a favourite of mine. Its name apparently means "wondrous flower" a very apt description. I am suprised that it does so well in Oz as it seems to like water shade and cool here
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:18:45 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »
December is a special month, not only due to the fact that it is X-mas, but also because it is Disa uniflora season! I do not grow many orchids, but for some reason D. uniflora does well here (some seasons), despite it being sub-tropical. This is the true wild species from Table Mountain (I wouldn't grow any other...):
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »
Rogan,

Beautiful!!

Ian,

It is only new to me this year thanks to Otto in Victoria, but it is so far looking pretty decent.  One can but hope.  How long does it remain above ground for you?  Does it stick through the whole of summer?  If guess as a reference I should also ask how long Trillium stay above ground for you as well, as that is so dependent on microclimates.  A friend here in Canberra has Trilliums that remain above ground for at least 6 weeks more than mine do, yet both hers and mine flower just fine.  Obviously my higher sun in my garden forces them dormant earlier, but gives them more food while they're in growth so they still end up flowering.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »
While we're on the subject of orchids, here's another charming little fellow that has taken a liking to the many Cupressus trees that grow in and around Pietermaritzburg. Mystacidium capense has 'naturalised' itself and flowers in countless thousands on the branches and trunks of these trees during December - a very remarkable sight indeed:
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 10:14:33 PM »
Mystacidium capense has 'naturalised' itself and flowers in countless thousands on the branches and trunks of these trees during December - a very remarkable sight indeed:

Now that's what I call a good Christmas decoration !  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
WOW, that would be something to have naruralised in here our Dutch garden, Rogan.  8)
But think I will have to remain dreaming.  ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:52 PM »
Paul mine pretty much stays above ground all summer but will sulk if it gets hot and then the foliage suffers. My original plant was from Jack Drake and I planted it in too much sun- here you have to remember this is Britain. I only found out what a marvellous plant it was when I moved it to a more shady position and kept in moist. Funny how perceptions of what the perfect climate would be for this because until I moved it to more sheltered quarters it never flowered and I would never have thought anything hotter or drier might be suitable. There is obviously more to this gardening lark than I thought :-\.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 12:29:25 AM »
Ian,

Mine came from Otto this season, so buds would already have been set up I assume?  I have it in morning sun and it can still get pretty warm where it is, but I do keep the water up to it mostly (has wilted a bit a couple of times without any apparent harm).  I've just carefully repotted it into a bigger pot to give it more nutrients, root insulation, and water holding capacity.  That was maybe a week ago and it is still looking fine so I think it was successful.  Same with the Cypripedium that I received at the same time..... it also repotted and looking OK.  I'll be hoping for flowers from both next year.  If it gets too warm I can move them to the shadehouse, but I thought that both would like some morning sun rather than full shade.  At the moment while it is working I am not moving them!!  ;D

Here, The Trilliums are already looking rather sad, but in Lyn's garden I am sure they are still looking fine.  They'll be dormant here within a few weeks, then their noses will appear again about April or so, before starting to shoot in about August/September.  Just to give you an idea of how long they're in growth, for relative climate info.  Then again, our sun here is stronger, so should actually create more nutrients while they are in growth, which is why I think the shorter growing season in my garden doesn't seem to bother them.  ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »
I did my best to filch the Deinanthe while Paul wasn't looking, when we were at Otto's, but he noticed. Wish I'd been sneakier.

Two manukas or Leptospermums in flower at present are L. lanigerum, an Australian species from 2004 seed and about 2 metres in height so far.

96620-0

and this little one, a seedling from L. scoparium which like Topsy, "just growed." It's in a raised bed and will probably get too big but for now it is fairly prostrate. The colour is deeper, richer than the picture suggests, real crushed raspberry colour.

96622-1

Primula flaccida is looking surprisingly good considering how dry it has been until this last few days. These few are in the nursery and as there are both pin and thrum-eyed plants I've been banging their heads together (gently.)

96624-2
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:32 AM »
Lesley,

Given some of the fantastic nursery plants of yours that you've posted here at times I think that a visit to your place would be truly heartbreaking, knowing that they I could take them home with me.  You grow some VERY nice plants for sale!!!!  8)

And I'm glad you weren't sneakier.  I never would have found out how wonderful the Deinanthe was if you had.... I just love it!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »
Paul no heart break. You only get to see the tiny parts that are civilized here.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal