We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eighth International Rock Garden Conference, 2011  (Read 51680 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Eighth International Rock Garden Conference, 2011
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
It has been brought to my attention that the programme inthe AGS Newsletter show that there is "Dinner" listed for Sunday night., while the online programme shows the event finishing after the talk on Sunday afternoon. I  suspect that the online programme is correct.... but regardless of which is correct, there is obviously a need for a price for Sunday night accomodation at least.... those "shoulder night " rates I spoke of earlier...  ::) ??? :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
There are quite a lot of question being asked about further details of the Conference and while we could each contact Pershore with our queries, that will do little to provide the information we seek to a wider audience so I have posted a thread on the AGS Discussion area  to pose some of these queries in the hope of receiving a public reply which will be of help to many of us.
The thread is here:

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/events/Alpines+Conference/330/

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »
Dear Maggie, firstly please be reassured that A post conference tour to Scotland  is being set up, ( I am assisting with this) I need a bit more information from gardens and gardeners but I will be in contact with tour organisers again soonest. I have also sent some iformation about possibles to AGS President Val Lee. I have no info about pre conference tours. The final tours selected from the suggested itinery  will be made by the AGS, I can assure you I am organised, I think that until the AGS get ideas of numbers maybe it is difficult to advertise now.?? cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 04:30:53 PM »
Thank you, Ian.... of course you would be organised with preparations for such a Scottish tour... with your reputation as the leader in Scottish Hospitality, I would expect nothing less  :)...... but why is there no mention of any thing like in the AGS info ....there are messages coming in to me asking about these things.
Your evenhanded generosity is laudable though it seems to me there is less chance of getting enough number registering for the event if there is not full info about  all the programme and ancillary attractions for people to be tempted into coming in the first place. :-\

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
Up to 9.15am on Thursday (NZ time), and no response or further contribution on the new thread set up by Maggi on the AGS site.

You may be right Ian about the AGS needing an idea of numbers attending, but they can't get those until possible attenders know the relevant information and can decide whether to attend or not, so a vicious circle.

I've even been thinking about a quick dash to the NH, the conference including tours and the "shoulder" days mentioned by Maggi but even for that short time I can't see it costing less that a total of $10,000NZ so just not possible. I'll ask Maggi and Fermi to spare me a minute's thought while they're in residence and that will be the closest I'll get I'm afraid. :'(

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »
Hi again, I am going to send all the details I have for a Post conference tour to all concerned at the AGS by the weekend as I said the final decision is up to them and I have no costs. They suggested to use a tour company who will book hotels etc. I hope at least for a reply, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 11:45:52 AM »
Up to 9.15am on Thursday (NZ time), and no response or further contribution on the new thread set up by Maggi on the AGS site.

I hear that the AGS Centre may still be without it's internet and email connections so that is likely the cause of the silence.

I would suggest you make those contacts by personal emails, Ian, in an attempt to reach someone directly.

It occurs to me that if Pershore is not operational on these levels then it might be an idea to have one of the employees somewhere, with a laptop and an internet connection, which can connect to the rest of us more easily.  :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:56:11 PM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
That seems like a very good idea Maggi.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martinr

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »
All, Val Lee has posted a response to Maggi on the AGS Forum. Basic message is patience required, some last minute hiccups and the recent difficult weather in the UK have meant not all the details are finalised yet.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
As I replied to Val Lee  on the AGS Website;
 I am astonished to hear that the weather could impact on planning details that might reasonably have been expected to be ready for outline publication, if not in finest detail, at the time when the booking service began.
The questions I raised are surely of considerable importance to anyone thinking of attending the event and as such meriting priority with the booking service and I do not believe that asking for clarification constitutes impatience, nor do I intend replying in those terms to those who have contacted me, either personally, or via the SRGC to ask the same questions.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2010, 01:33:05 AM »
Welcome  news from the AGS Website re Conference booking cancellation penalties and shoulder nights  :
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/sales/conferences/bookings/2011/

"Residential rates are inclusive of 3 nights accommodation in Single en-suite rooms on the Conference Centre Campus. The costs include morning and afternoon refreshments, plus breakfast on Friday, Saturday & Sunday mornings, lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, together with evening meal on Thursday and Friday - the Saturday evening meal will be the formal Conference Dinner which is also included in the Residential Rate.

Cancellations
For cancellations received before 31 August 2010 all payments made will be refunded with a reduction made for any bank charges incurred.

AGS reserve the right to retain deposit amounts for cancellations made after 31 August 2010.

Additional Nights Accommodation
If you are interested in booking an additional nights’ accommodation, or if you would like information about alternative hotel accommodation in the area, please contact AGS Centre for details.

In the near future, the online booking system will be extended to accept bookings for extra nights in the Conference Accommodation."
Such info was added to AGS site on 9th February, please see later post on this......

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:53:07 PM by Maggi Young »

anne gibson

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
I booked the AGS conference at Stratford last September as a day delegate and totally misunderstood the booking form, paying the day rate for only one day-because I thought the price covered every day  :-[. Several months later I e-mailed to ask if when I would receive confirmation of my booking and was told I hadn't received it because they did not know which day I would attend! I would have thought that lack of information would have meant they would have contacted me earlier rather than not at all!
It was all sorted out but I compared the booking form for the SRGC discussion weekend and found it a lot easier to understand and took the liberty of suggesting to them that AGS use a similar format ;)
The price for 2011 conference caused a moment of matrimonial disharmony but maybe him indoors thinks it's worth it for three and a half days peace!
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2010, 10:45:44 PM »

The price for 2011 conference caused a moment of matrimonial disharmony but maybe him indoors thinks it's worth it for three and a half days peace!
Well, as I said before, Anne, Alpines 2011 was unlikely to be the biggest bargain long weekend we've had .... because whereas a hotel can make great offers on such breaks to tempt you in to fill space, these conferences are a different kettle of fish.... we don't just want a getaway break, we want the chance to meet with hundreds of friends and be entertained and challenged by a series of great talks and other programmed activities..... and for that type of event we must expect to pay a premium over the Bargain Break rates!
The increase on ten years ago is not so very great...... not even enough for an MP's duck house!

The canny among us who have been saving since last time will have coped with a pound a week squirreled away....after all,  this is a once-every-ten-years-be -there-or-be-square event..... and now there is only just over 14months to work out the best train route to Nottingham from  here......anyone know a good translator of Rail-Speak?? :)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »
I spoke to Otto who attended the last one and because the exchange rate is better it should actually work out cheaper for us from Australia! Last time was about AUD$1,200, this time AUD $1,000! (Going on the Exchange Rate at the moment.)  ;D ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

anne gibson

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
I have a vision of a Rockers special train coming down from the north, everyone wearing their t-shirts, polo shirts and waving their tote bags as you pull into railway stations!  :D
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal