We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fruits of Recycling  (Read 4962 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Fruits of Recycling
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 08:26:26 AM »
Nice work David !
It must feel great to have a brand new patch like that ready to be planted up
Dont forget to show us the result next year !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
Thank you Luc.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 03:58:24 PM »
I also used my summer holidays to change a part of my garden. I've expanded my terrace by a wooden construction to meet our space requirements.
Unfortunately I had to sacrify the old "habitat" and some area from my crocus lawn :'(.

I reused previous collected sand stones and new ones from a house demolition to build the new, larger wall. I refilled the free space with the old loamy soil as fundament and added a new mixture of sand and compost on top (20-40cm).

Pictures show status before and after the renovation and the bulb harvest.

We wondered how many bulbs have grown/spread on only 3.5m². My wife helped me with the utmost care to dig out the bulbs within almost a half day of hard work. The loamy soil was partly hard like a stone!
I hope the new soil will much better please the crocus corms which remained generally quite tiny.

Finally, last Sunday I could close part one of the project, finished after ~1.5 weeks of work, sweat and hefty back paines! But the result pleased us - there is much more room now for bulbs expansion ;D

Part two will be started in early winter to remove some weed scrub and replanting of roses.
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 07:28:34 PM »
Looks very nice Armin. I'm not showing your pictures to my wife in case she gets ideas about decking.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »
I like the idea of David's in forming pockets for individual bulbs.
When we were in Kirkwall a couple of weeks ago we visited the garden behind the Orkney Museum (sorry, I cann't remember the actual name of the house). This house used to belong to a Mr Traill from the early 1800s who was very likely part of the family of Clementina Traill, wife of George Forrest.
The point of this story is that in the garden we found a construction much like Davids but significantly larger, domed up to about three feet high and with many, many pockets. Perfect, I thought, for displaying individual alpines in their own soil mixes and aspects. We spoke to the gardener who told us that th structure had been built about 20/25 years ago - but never planted up. What a shame. I could just imagine the Traills, who were collectors in their own rights, using it to grow their own collections 200 years ago.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal