We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus Poll - Your top 5  (Read 23457 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crocus Poll - Your top 5
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:46 AM »
Not really. I was multi tasking -

Clever you! The ability to do this is usually only displayed by women. Not that coffee can be called a "task" :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 03:05:20 AM »

Clever you! The ability to do this is usually only displayed by women. Not that coffee can be called a "task" :-\

I don't know, getting through a cup of bad coffee can be pretty tasking!
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2008, 07:56:25 AM »
Too many coffee shops especially big names on high streets and those in airports sell poor quality coffee
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »
Not really. I was multi tasking - coffee (real  ::)), googling for 24V transformer for lights, Scottish Rocking ...

You're a man of many talents Mark ! ;D
Thanks for the exercise !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »

I don't know, getting through a cup of bad coffee can be pretty tasking!

Many grounds for complaint.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2008, 11:02:58 AM »
Cliff,

And here I was, going to comment about it being part of the daily grind!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
Maggi my comment of the city name was due to the article calling it Göteburg Botanic garden. The other is a latinised form I presume.
Yes in Scotland there are a lot of Nordic expressions so having a burgh is not surprising but that may have been from the Germanic base in the English language? I think the spelling may have varied a lot at the time of the Nordic presence in Scottland so it can not be ruled out from that but maybe on the age of the city?
I presume there is a similar word in Dutch but can not think of any name of a city with it.
The Danes have an island named Borgholm that is close to Sweden as well as a city Ålborg or the alternative spelling Aalborg that also make a good flavoured aquavit (schnapps).  ::)
All the best
Joakim

Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gerry Webster

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2008, 12:43:44 PM »
I presume there is a similar word in Dutch but can not think of any name of a city with it.

Tilburg - in the south.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
Thanks for that Gerry now we have it there as well.  ;D
Is there an English term like burgh meaning castle in to days English? Is there a city name in England that has burg/burgh in that meaning ?
Sorry for the lack of English geography knowledge.  ::) :-[
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2008, 02:20:38 PM »
Thanks for that Gerry now we have it there as well.  ;D
Is there an English term like burgh meaning castle in to days English? Is there a city name in England that has burg/burgh in that meaning ?
Sorry for the lack of English geography knowledge.  ::) :-[
Kind regards
Joakim

Would Aldeburgh qualify?   (or Chris de Burgh)!  :)  Oops, he is Irish.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
Joakim, place names in the UK ending with the modern 'bury of burgh and sometimes bury' are normally derived from the Old English word 'burh' meaning 'a fortified place' or 'a defended place'. Some of these places were defended in pre Anglo Saxon times and there may well be a Celtic element in the word 'burh'. When the Normans came in 1066 it was sometimes in these defended places that they chose to build castles. Old English developed from the forms of speech used by the Anglo Saxon invaders from around 500AD and as such had a 'Germanic' root but it is highly likely that their speech was influenced by Scandinavian invaders. So modern English has developed from all of those races who have 'clobberd' us in the past including Picts, Scots, Anglo Saxons, Danes, Norse, French, Romans together with forms of Celtic speech used by the indigenous Britains who lived the country prior to Roman times, the nearest equivalent of which is the Welsh language today.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:06:07 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2008, 03:15:36 PM »
Joakim, place names in the UK ending with the modern 'bury of burgh and sometimes bury' are normally derived from the Old English word 'burh' meaning 'a fortified place' or 'a defended place'. Some of these places were defended in pre Anglo Saxon times and there may well be a Celtic element in the word 'burh'. When the Normans came in 1066 it was sometimes in these defended places that they chose to build castles. Old English developed from the forms of speech used by the Anglo Saxon invaders from around 500AD and as such had a 'Germanic' root but it is highly likely that there speech was influenced by Scandinavian invaders. So modern English has developed from all of those races who have 'clobberd' us in the past including Picts, Scots, Anglo Saxons, Danes, Norse, French, Romans together forms of Celtic speech used by the indigenous Britains who lived the country prior to Roman times, the nearest equivalent of which is the Welsh language today.

97014-0        Thanks, David!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »
Just to add a little more useless information! Edinburgh means 'fortification at Eidyn'. Just like taxonomists place name experts have differing views. Some think the 'Eidyn' bit refers 'Edwin's fort', Edwin being King of Northumbria from 617 to 633. Others say the the name is recorded before his time. In c1180 a document records the name of what is now Edinburgh as 'Edenburge'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
Just like taxonomists place name experts have differing views.

And just like a lot of the names taxonomists coin, Edinburgh isn't pronounced the way it looks (or at any rate, the way it looks to me).
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

Gerry Webster

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »
More off-topic & useless information - the Duke of Edinburgh's family name is Mountbatten, formerly Battenberg. Posting this was a piece of cake.   
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal