We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The ebay season begins....... ( includes ikariae/ woronowii comparisons)  (Read 89569 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: The ebay season begins....... ( includes ikariae/ woronowii comparisons)
« Reply #405 on: January 31, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
Noticed one on Ebay I liked descibed as a rare Snowdrop. 'Blonde Inge' Is it rare?

David, 'Blonde Inge' is a nice little snowdrop and quite rare but it is a small one and you might be a little disappointed when you see it in the flesh. It's also not, in my experience, one of the easiest to grow or very fast clumping up. Depends how much you have to pay for it, and I do n't want to put you off if your heart is set on it, but I'd say there are other snowdrops, stronger growers and more showy plants, that you might be better considering when building up  your collection.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #406 on: January 31, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
my 'Blonde Inge' seems very vigorous,its rapidly made a great little clump,got one spare if any one wants one.i might have a picture taken last year.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #407 on: January 31, 2009, 06:01:20 PM »
Provided Maggi agrees that it is sensible to do so, how about a note here, or in a special thread, of how to complain to Ebay with telephone numbers, website links and any other useful similar information. It's bound to happen again in the future.

It is really the duty of photographers to take what measures they think necessary to protect themselves against unscrupulous sellers using images without permission  and to seek to ascertain whether a seller is selling what is claimed.... as has been shown on previous occasions, that can be easier said than done and is not a problem confined to Ebay.   

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #408 on: January 31, 2009, 06:18:02 PM »
There is now a suspect 'Mrs Thompson' listed. The photo shows flowers with only 3 outers
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #409 on: January 31, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
Provided Maggi agrees that it is sensible to do so, how about a note here, or in a special thread, of how to complain to Ebay with telephone numbers, website links and any other useful similar information. It's bound to happen again in the future.

It is really the duty of photographers to take what measures they think necessary to protect themselves against unscrupulous sellers using images without permission  and to seek to ascertain whether a seller is selling what is claimed.... as has been shown on previous occasions, that can be easier said than done and is not a problem confined to Ebay.   

Good point Maggi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #410 on: January 31, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »
Steve, re your photograph of 'Eccuson d'Or'. I only borrowed it for a few minutes to, as Maggi said, give it a wash. I thought you showed the flower from a great angle which showed the shape perfectly but I felt the indoor lights had put a bit of an off colour on it.

I hope it wasn't one of the snowdrops you say had virus infection. That would be terrible.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

steve owen

« Reply #411 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
Steve, re your photograph of 'Eccuson d'Or'. I only borrowed it for a few minutes to, as Maggi said, give it a wash. I thought you showed the flower from a great angle which showed the shape perfectly but I felt the indoor lights had put a bit of an off colour on it.

I hope it wasn't one of the snowdrops you say had virus infection. That would be terrible.

Paddy
No Paddy, this lady was Mrs Clean and the supplier is Mr Clean.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #412 on: January 31, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
OK, sigh of relief. Hope it grows away well for you now.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #413 on: January 31, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »
Recently http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2790.45 there was discussion on the forum about Galanthus ikariae on Ebay. There was concern as to whether it was right or not as no flower was shown. The seller, Melvyn Jope, has contacted me to let you know who he is and his seller ID for future reference. His ID is groman4444

Melvyn, in case you don't know, is the grower and supplier of the reginae-olgae selections featured in the snowdrop book.

Melvyn is a name I know, and certainly should know his stuff? I was just surprised to see ikariae in bud at Christmas, but then if he grows reginae-olgae in the greenhouse, perhaps this accounts for it? I would, however, be loathed to bid for something that 'might possibly be' or 'must be this because that's where it came from', unless I knew the seller.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #414 on: January 31, 2009, 10:03:07 PM »
Recently http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2790.45 there was discussion on the forum about Galanthus ikariae on Ebay. There was concern as to whether it was right or not as no flower was shown. The seller, Melvyn Jope, has contacted me to let you know who he is and his seller ID for future reference. His ID is groman4444

Melvyn, in case you don't know, is the grower and supplier of the reginae-olgae selections featured in the snowdrop book.

Mark

Is this meant to be an apology to a well known Galanthophile whose integrity you called into question (See Reply 50).  Anyone buying on EBay is told to read the Feedback.  If you read the Feedback for groman4444, it is 100%.
You are right when you expose sellers of doubtful snowdrops e.g. the seller of ‘Flocon de neige’, but it does nobody any good when your remarks are incorrect and are addressed to someone well known to most Galanthophiles, and who will be giving a talk at the Snowdrop Gala.”

Anthony D  In Reply 52 you said  “Too early and the leaves are  wrong to be ikariae.”  When the so-called experts have a hard time identifying a plant from a photo, it is rather harsh to use a photo to judge a seller!
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #415 on: January 31, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
I am still awaiting a photo of an ikariae flowering in December. In my opinion the leaves weren't correct. So what does that leave us? A flower we can't see because it's in bud, at the wrong time of year, with the wrong (in my opinion) leaves and being sold on EBay by someone, who until today, was anonymous. Need I say more? The seller certainly needed to.

art600

« Reply #416 on: January 31, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
I am still awaiting a photo of an ikariae flowering in December. In my opinion the leaves weren't correct. So what does that leave us? A flower we can't see because it's in bud, at the wrong time of year, with the wrong (in my opinion) leaves and being sold on EBay by someone, who until today, was anonymous. Need I say more? The seller certainly needed to.

If you buy on EBay you are a fool if you do not read the Feedback.  Melvyn Jope has a perfect score and the remarks would certainly persuade anyone to buy with confidence.  You can also email the seller for more information.

Arthur Nicholls

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #417 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »
If you buy on EBay you are a fool if you do not read the Feedback.  Melvyn Jope has a perfect score and the remarks would certainly persuade anyone to buy with confidence.  You can also email the seller for more information.

I wasn't buying. I merely passed comment, which I am entitled to do.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #418 on: January 31, 2009, 10:32:15 PM »
I believe Arthur makes a very valid point. It has been said here often enough that it is well nigh impossible to ID a plant from  a photo alone.   Mr Jope has a 100% approval rating, with many repeat buyers,who have all been happy enough to buy again.
Why must the photo be of the exact plant/bulb for sale?
If I were selling a rhodo now, which flowered in July, I would still show a photo of the flower now, to let people see what it looked like.  If I haven't got that photo, but onewhich shows it in bud, then I would show that..... not everyone has a full catalogue of photographs, not even all forumists, and we, by and large, are ptretty keen photographers!
There is a danger of seeing "spooks" round every corner .....I urge calmness! If a seller has a good record, then give the benefit of the doubt..... prospective buyers can make up their own minds. As we have seen before, it is more than possible to get a wrongly named plant from ANY seller/nursery, or even a sick plant from a well-respected  seller/nursery. Keep some perspective, please.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

« Reply #419 on: January 31, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

I wasn't buying. I merely passed comment, which I am entitled to do.

Following on Mark's comment in Reply 50, it could only add to the impression that the seller was trying to pull a fast one.

Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion, but when it is shown to be wrong, then an apology might be appropriate. :(
Arthur Nicholls

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal