We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The ebay season begins....... ( includes ikariae/ woronowii comparisons)  (Read 89560 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: The ebay season begins....... ( includes ikariae/ woronowii comparisons)
« Reply #450 on: February 06, 2009, 05:14:06 AM »
I see Jimlad21 is selling 'Rosemary Burnham', which is now at £131. Too expensive for us northerners. :P

And pensioner southerners

And hard working southerners too!   ::)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #451 on: February 06, 2009, 06:07:55 AM »
But also for ossis (people of East(ost)Germany) ;D >:(
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

loes

« Reply #452 on: February 06, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »
and if you win it it`s hard to keep alive as I understand
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #453 on: February 06, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
not sure if this is the auction mark metioned but this seller has a suspect mrs thompson on ebay at the moment -

looks nothing like my mrs thompson, the inner mark is to large, also the outer segments dont look quite correct .this is my mrs thompson in normal 3x3 formation notice the small inner mark -

No, it's not Mrs Thompson. Nice looking snowdrop though with a good mark. The seller has a number of other snowdrops on ebay, most of which look right (Hyde Lodge doesn't) so I think it's just a mistake. Can't definitely put a name to that snowdrop being sold as Mrs Thompson. The mark on the top flower looks a bit like Bill Bishop, while the mark on the lower flower looks different (maybe an immature flower on a small side-bulb).

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Mavers

« Reply #454 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »
We all know the snowdrops we could all have a very messy group drool over..............

If for us mere mortals 'Rosemary Burnham' is difficult to grow, how do some growers manage not only to overcome this difficulty but have enough spares to sell on?
Mike
Somerset, UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #455 on: February 06, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »
I think skilled snowpdrop growers must have "in-the-green fingers"? ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #456 on: February 06, 2009, 11:57:20 AM »
The policy of many is if it's new and there is only one bulb twinscale it that summer. I would imagine Jim has done just that and now has enough to pass on. His bulb collection is amazing. When 'Rosemary' arrived in N Ireland for the first time I begged the owners to have them twinscaled. They wouldnt and both bulbs died or were eaten.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #457 on: February 06, 2009, 12:05:03 PM »
Mark ,you mention 'getting them twinscaled' :) Is this a service one can get quotes from yellow pages  ???

Are there twinscalers to be avoided at all costs ???

Are some always successful  ???

Is the service expensive/ free for keepsies etc, etc  ??? ???

I'm planning on trying it myself, but should I only do it with easy ones  ???  Sorry, lots of questions there

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #458 on: February 06, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
I'm sure Mark will give you chapter and verse on twin scalers but I think there are one or two people who will do it "free for keepsies", say 1/4 of the resultant bulbs.  I am planning to get my virescent elwesii (Rosemary Burnham look-alike) done this year.
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #459 on: February 06, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
Alan put it well. Some do it and charge money, some do it free and other keep some of the resulting bulbils
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #460 on: February 06, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
Jo just give it a try there is no mystique in it. If you are happy with slightly less new bulbs you do not have to go as far as twin scaling. You can just cut the bulb into sections vertically,say six and go from there. The essential thing is hygiene. Some bulbs succeed in producing bulbils and others do not. Nothing ventured ,nothing gained
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #461 on: February 06, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
Following on from the Avon bulbs Big Boy post I have just received the following email from them:

Dear Snowdroppers,

At the moment it seems unlikely that we shall be distributing an extra-special snowdrop list this spring. It is proving to be a rather ‘different’ snowdrop season with Somerset experiencing more snow than we have for many years and it is difficult to assess our stocks. We may reconsider the situation later on.

It may be worth mentioning that a few ultra rare snowdrops are being released and sold through ebay. It is not a ‘vehicle’ of choice for us but it does have the (commercial) advantage of maximising the return on a few snowdrops that are otherwise difficult to price.  We too have bills to pay !  Currently G. Big Boy is available from us this way, it will be followed shortly by G Art Nouveau and G. Acton Pigot No 3 for those of you who are interested, and possibly a few others will follow. On ebay we sell under the name bhfchris (though we make it clear that this is the Avon Bulbs tag)

Regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #462 on: February 06, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
Jo just give it a try there is no mystique in it. If you are happy with slightly less new bulbs you do not have to go as far as twin scaling. You can just cut the bulb into sections vertically,say six and go from there. The essential thing is hygiene. Some bulbs succeed in producing bulbils and others do not. Nothing ventured ,nothing gained

Thanks for the feedback on twinscaling.  I will definately give it a go after such encouragement.  Does anyone know of any cvs or sps that I should definately not try  ???

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #463 on: February 06, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Rob, I was forwarded an email from the seller of 'Mrs Thompson' who says the bulb being sold is Mrs Thompson but that they used a photo of a different snowdrop because they couldn't take one of their 'Mrs Thompson' because of the snow. I believe the seller is genuine, though not sure about the advisability of using an incorrect photo, maybe better to use none at all.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
Rob, I was forwarded an email from the seller of 'Mrs Thompson' who says the bulb being sold is Mrs Thompson but that they used a photo of a different snowdrop because they couldn't take one of their 'Mrs Thompson' because of the snow. I believe the seller is genuine, though not sure about the advisability of using an incorrect photo, maybe better to use none at all.
What happens if the buyer is expecting the snowdrop in the picture?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal