We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The ebay season begins....... ( includes ikariae/ woronowii comparisons)  (Read 89553 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: The ebay season begins....... ( includes ikariae/ woronowii comparisons)
« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
That person on Ebay cant spell either. I smell a rat.

Wol did say chips well fed can flower in two years and some do take a year out. Some cultivars can take forever to grow. He used an example but I cant remember what one. Martin you will have to ask him at the Gala
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Thanks for the offer, Paddy. I placed an order with a grower for three 'Compton Court' to give it a try (I like the sound of "vigorous grower" when compared to Arnott and I also read that it often produces two scapes per bulb) so I'll see if I get my bulbs from them. If not, I'll get in touch with you.

I also hope that high ebay prices won't affect the level of generosity amongst snowdrop growers generally. But I suspect it may be bound to have some effect on how freely rare bulbs circulate. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »
I don't think it will have a negative effect on those of us who swap. It may just push up the prices for those that are on sale, but then again it may not? Consider this: how many can you sell at these prices on Ebay compared to the numbers that can be sold at galas etc? Perhaps the really rare will always be dear due to their scarcity? This can't always be the case, and interest may decline once they become more readily available?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #498 on: February 08, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »
I don't think it will have a negative effect on those of us who swap. It may just push up the prices for those that are on sale, but then again it may not? Consider this: how many can you sell at these prices on Ebay compared to the numbers that can be sold at galas etc? Perhaps the really rare will always be dear due to their scarcity? This can't always be the case, and interest may decline once they become more readily available?

But will they become more readily available? Where's the incentive for a grower to propagate decent quantities to sell at say £20 each if they can sell four or five a year at £150?

I realize it won't affect swaps, except that those selling for high prices on ebay will require a much rarer swap than before their monetary value went up. I just think people may think twice about giving away bulbs as gifts to visitors if the gift has suddenly acquired a very high monetary value. Which I think would be a shame.

I agree with you that in the long run a grower can't expect to sell large quantities at these inflated prices, and I'd think it's better for a nurseryman and for the customers in the long run if good stocks are built up to sell at reasonable prices. Otherwise, snowdrop prices just become another unsustainable bubble. But my main concerns is that very lovely snowdrops may never get into  wider circulation.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Mavers

« Reply #499 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »
Sorry if I've missed this dear friends but what did 'Rosemary Burnham' go for in the end on the bay?
Mike
Somerset, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #500 on: February 09, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »
£135  ::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

steve owen

« Reply #501 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
Bonjour mes amis

Could someone hazard a guess as to the identity of this potful? Bought at the AGS Spring Show, labelled "nivalis"!
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #502 on: February 09, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
Bonjour mes amis

Could someone hazard a guess as to the identity of this potful? Bought at the AGS Spring Show, labelled "nivalis"!

Woronowii.  Always woronowii.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #503 on: February 09, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »
The seller is offering 'Flocon de Neige' which doesn't look right and is in Edinburgh. The last not-Flocon was also in Edinburgh.

The seller has also been an ebay member since 2 Feb 2009, about the day we "outed" the person seemingly selling the fake 'Flocon de Neige' using Mark's photo of a genuine one.   
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #504 on: February 09, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Alan we are supposed to be coming to Anglesey Abbey tomorrow, what's it like over there now?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

vivienr

« Reply #505 on: February 09, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »
I saw large quantities of Woronowii on sale in a big Northumberland garden centre at the new year, all labelled as nivalis. It surprised me as I would have thought they could have charged more if they labelled them correctly. My local Morrisons is selling correctly labelled Elwesii but they are very sad-looking specimens.
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #506 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:17 PM »
I saw large quantities of Woronowii on sale in a big Northumberland garden centre at the new year, all labelled as nivalis...

Which is why I said Steve's snowdrops were woronowii; these are readily available in garden centres and often labelled nivalis.  Of course, I cannot possibly tell from the photo that it isn't ikariae but that seems most unlikely.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
Alan we are supposed to be coming to Anglesey Abbey tomorrow, what's it like over there now?

At the moment we have light rain.  There is still a lot of snow on gardens and fields but hopefully the Anglesey Abbey snowdrops are in a sheltered location and will be okay.  If I were you I would call first to confirm they are open as usual.
Almost in Scotland.

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #508 on: February 09, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »

Brian,

It's raining and the snow is steadily fast. Unfortunately we have been warned of heavy rain/snow overnight.

David

Edit...Alan just beat me to it.
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #509 on: February 09, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
whats this on ebay? -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=170300789906&Category=16087&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

is this an actual nivalis cultivar? or another fake.

reminds me more of worroniwii

rob
I see the fake 'Flocon' (click link and check seller's other items) on Ebay is now at £30.! :o :o >:(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal