We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Re: Winter snowdrops  (Read 54299 times)

ArneM

Re: Winter snowdrops
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
Hans, nice snowies. The sad thing with them is that they make me a bit depressive. When I look outside I can only see snow and some taller frostbitten plants but not any sign of snowdrops as we had -17°C here last night.  :(

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
Be consoled, Arne. The G. elwesii you sent me last year are well above ground and I am looking forward to seeing your 'findlings' coming into flower later in the year. I can post a photograph so you can see them even if there is snow and cold weather in Germany.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
Yes Arne, it`s like Paddy told. To divide your treasures is the best to secure/conserve them. So Paddy send bulbs, you sends bulbs, I do it too.....God sent me a lot of snow....
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »
Hagen,

An excellent philosophy! And such enjoyment also. At the moment I am delighted to see two shoots on G. 'Kildare' which came from you last year.

As you know, this cultivar originated in Ireland, and so it is of particular interest to me and I am really thrilled to see it coming along so well. Looking forward now to seeing it in flower in the not too distant future. I think I will have one flowering bulb and one immature to flower next year.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »
equal senses Paddy.....
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

ArneM

« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »
I would like to second that, Hagen. That's the best everyone could do. Without such 'givings', some snowies were already lost like 'Rosemary Burnham' (I hope I'm right with that?).

On the other handside the snow is fine, too. Harsh frost without a blanket of snow isn't good, even to snowies. Mine were sadly lying on the ground, but now they should be isolated enough. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:47:55 PM by ArneM »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2009, 12:42:12 AM »
The sad thing with them is that they make me a bit depressive. When I look outside I can only see snow and some taller frostbitten plants but not any sign of snowdrops as we had -17°C here last night.  :(

Arne - Now don't let this happen.  You will appreciate them even more when they peak up out of the snow standing straight and tall, just as they do here sometimes in late March.   ;D   Fear not, the drops here have survived incredibly cold snowless winters on many occasions, I have seen them at inland gardens take -17c in late March in full bloom and stand up the next day.

Winter shall pass, even here in Canada. 25cm of snow on the ground here, this afternoon we had a bit of snow, this afternoon freezing rain, ice pellets for 6 hours, then to +10c overnight and cold tomorrow. I put on a cd of Spanish music, Goyescas, think warm and pull the blinds.

And Rosemary B. lives on thanks to kind friends who keep the drops on the move.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:05:36 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:30 AM »
Mark - I am looking at this shot of gracilis Green Marks that you posted last year I believe. I has just struck me that the intensity of the green inner markings is quite remarkable.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »
Yes it is a lovely snowdrop. It will be a long time before this is seen in our gardens. I'm sure it is being shared a little as insurance against disease and the fly.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
That really is an intense green mark.  That would be a fascinating one to try seed from, just to see what resulted.  Very nice flower.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
Talking of gracilis from seed I was really impressed with the variety to be seen at Highdown last year, this one caught my eye.

ArneM

« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »
Arne - Now don't let this happen. 

Ok, I try to give my best and look forward to see them. :)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
Three photos from today.

My 'Faringdon Doubles' may not be double but they do have the distinctive spathe. Maybe they will need another year to settle down.

One of favourites is 'John Long' with it's distinctive mark and poc marked petals.

And elwesii 'Maidwell L' ex Ebay two years ago and not correct. It looks like 'Robin Hood' but it's not.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »
this was my Robin Hood last year. The second picture shows one stem that has 2 pedicels with a flower each. I think that Robin Hood does that kind of thing, a bit like Kite, is that true ?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:49 PM »
I've seen twin flowered 'Robin Hoods' a couple of times. One problem with this snowdrop is it tends to lean too much

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal