We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January - 2009  (Read 60192 times)

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
Re: Crocus January - 2009
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »
Tony
biflorus isauricus is a stunner :o
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #301 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
A few more from today's photographic expedition.

Crocus chrysanthus 'White Beauty'-this one from Thomas, many thanks Thomas
Crocus chrysanthus 'Blue Pearl'
Crocus chrysanthus 'Fuscotinctus'
Crocus chrysanthus 'Zwanenberg Bronze'

Why can't it be sunny every day? ;D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #302 on: January 28, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
Tony great photos and plants as ever. David I didnt know you had a big collection. You must be addicted like the rest of us
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerry Webster

« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Wonderful crocus from everyone. Until I joined this forum I thought my garden on the south coast was early. Now I realise it is not.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
.......... David I didnt know you had a big collection. You must be addicted like the rest of us

Have been addicted since I first joined the Forum and with much help from many generous Forumists, as well as spending  my 'hard earned', I'm beginning to get a reasonable collection together. I've got Crocus seed pots coming out my ears so in years to come I hope to get to the point where I have spares and maybe be able to help someone else get a collection together. Next steps- myown seed production and then try some hybridisation maybe.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »
Tony

Oron thank you,I am trying for seed,dabbing it daily

David they are very nice. Would those cultivars not grow outside and free up some space
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »
Great show everyone !  Some stunning flowers there !
Out here it's quite cold and foggy again (0°C at noon) - so still not much moving so far.. here's hoping... :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »
Tony

Oron thank you,I am trying for seed,dabbing it daily

David they are very nice. Would those cultivars not grow outside and free up some space

Yes Tony, they would, but having spent good money on some of them I wanted to see them in first class condition. Some are also in small numbers yet but eventually some will go outside.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »
I wanted to see them in first class condition
I agree with David's comment. Whenever we buy 'common' small bulbs such as chrysanthus hyb or Iris reticulata type iris we put a few in a pot in the greenhouse to enjoy. The rest of the packet go into the garden to be enjoyed later, weather permitting. Anything even slightly special goes into a pot to be bulked up before risking it in the open.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #309 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
David I understand that, and it is a joy to be able to hold them up under ones nose to see them closely without crawling around on the floor

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
At last some sun to tempt the flowers to open! Here are C. korolkowii dark throat, and C biflorus ssp nubigena from Thomas. It looks very like the Crocus biflorus issauricus pictured earlier - are they the same thing?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:34 PM »
Hi Anne
I have the same form of Crocus biflorus ssp nubigena as you .... from the same source, pictured below.
It is quite different in its markings and colour to the C biflorus ssp isauricus that I showed earlier.  However the biflorus group is complex (and sometimes controversial) so applying names in cultivation is tricky.  Janis might have something to say about our plants (he has already shared some knowledge of Crocus biflorus in this thread I think) given his experience of these plants in the wild. 

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »
Tony it is difficult to see any difference between your nubigena and issauricus. I only called mine issauricus because of where it came from.There does seem to be a(very small) gap in the distribution and I suppose its down to the view of whether they are differentt or not. As you say controversial.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
I'll try and photograph my two side by side on Friday when the sun and I have an appointment (at work Thursday).  They are different to look at although morphologically I doubt I could seperate them.  My ssp nubigena does look quite like your ssp crewei a few pages ago though!
I would love to see the plants in the wild to get a better picture of the variation (and a better understanding of the geography!) but I doubt it would clear up many of my uncertainties!!

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
At last some sun to tempt the flowers to open! Here are C. korolkowii dark throat, and C biflorus ssp nubigena from Thomas. It looks very like the Crocus biflorus issauricus pictured earlier - are they the same thing?

I think C. biflorus ssp nubigena is one of the best looking Crocus' around !!  A real eye catcher !  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal