We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January - 2009  (Read 58706 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Crocus January - 2009
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »
Lovely plants there Dom and Arthur.  What a difference between the outer markings on your respective forms of angustifolius
My corsicus are a year or so behind yours; something to look forward to 8).
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
Luc Sorry, I would say white stigmate for my antalyensis

They seem to be very different indeed Dom. - maybe Thomas can comment, as it's one of his ???   ???

By the way - some great plants there Dom and Art... you people know how to make a beginning Croconut drool... ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #362 on: February 01, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »
Super - What a greenhouse flower show 8) 8) 8)
Congratulations to everybody.

Today I saw the first 3 buds of C.imperati "De Jager" in my lawn. Two of them were quite tiny and already withered. :(
Guess never opened due strong frost. Compared to 2008 the first "De Jager" buds opened January 20th together with C. ancyrensis "Golden Bunch".
The latter is not visible yet. Still too frosty.

With regards to the "true" C. minimus discussion does anybody heard of C. isauvicus "Spring Beauty".
It looks like a beautiful form of C. minimus. But what taxonomic is it exactly?
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2009, 07:52:28 PM »
I'd suggest your pots are minimus Arthur, not sure about the rogue though. My minimus starts mid-season with the bulk of others but it is always the very kast to have flowers on, a long flowering season once a clump is established, a full two months or a bit more. I can't complain about that.

I have separated out the dark one and have 3 now. It's being a bit slow for the moment but I hope to have one or two for Thomas and....... in a year or two.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »
And then, there is the mystery of Crocus minimus 'Albus' which was sent to Australia (Otto?) by, I think, Brian Mathew and he should know what's what. I haven't seen it, and have just a single seed, not yet germinated, but apparently the size, shape and everything except colour conform to true minimus but it is pure white AND, to confuse the issue further, it is by far the EARLIEST to flower, May-July in one friend's garden. That would be Nov - Jan in the northern hemisphere.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2009, 08:02:43 PM »

With regards to the "true" C. minimus discussion does anybody heard of C. isauvicus "Spring Beauty".

Armin - could C.isauvicus be a typo for C. biflorus isauricus?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
And then, there is the mystery of Crocus minimus 'Albus' which was sent to Australia (Otto?) by, I think, Brian Mathew and he should know what's what. I haven't seen it, and have just a single seed, not yet germinated, but apparently the size, shape and everything except colour conform to true minimus but it is pure white AND, to confuse the issue further, it is by far the EARLIEST to flower, May-July in one friend's garden. That would be Nov - Jan in the northern hemisphere.
BM (p.37) mentions two albino forms: one  with a yellow unstriped exterior & another (collected by the Crooks) which has on the outside 3 purple stripes on a yellow ground.

I have an albino form of C. corsicus which is yellowish on the outside - no stripes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:47:38 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
I like Crocus minimus from Sardinia. 8) I have C. vitellinus in flower at the moment, but the weekend has been too cold and gloomy for the flowers to open. I will try it in the kitchen. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
My Mathew is away on loan at present. Does he mention that one white form anyway, flowers very early while "ordinary" minimus is much later?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
My Mathew is away on loan at present. Does he mention that one white form anyway, flowers very early while "ordinary" minimus is much later?
Lesley - no mention of any difference in flowering time.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »

Armin - could C.isauvicus be a typo for C. biflorus isauricus?

Gerry,
sorry - it is C. isauvicus ???
Best wishes
Armin

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »
Dom and Arthur thanks lovely plants keep em coming
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
Cannot flowering time of different clones vary considerably? I am thinking of the many snowdrop varieties/cultivars that vary by months in their flowering time even within a species.
Principally you are right - the flowering time can vary much. In case with Dutch C. minimus there were morphological differences, too, but as I wrote before, I not remember to which species I went after dissecting of plant. It was almost 30 years ago. I well know that just hidden morphological features are important in determination of Crocuses, but for practical gardening better not to destroy the plant, so flowering time in case of minimus for me is the most important feature. Sorry.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »
Luc
My antalyensis is very different with white anthers
Two antalyensis - one from Sarichinar ridge in S Turkey (wild picture), another from Gundogmus - flower dissected to show white style.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
Crocus adanensis - easy in a pot.  Has anyone tried it outside?

Mine grew outside for two years and I hope for their third year if the frost is gone.

C. antalyensis is another variable plant, like Janis shows white style and surely also
white anthers can appear from time to time. Dominique, what colour do the pollen have?
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal