We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Years Day 2009  (Read 6038 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
New Years Day 2009
« on: January 01, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »
It is a family tradition to go for a picnic on New Years Day. This year we headed of to Waipori Gorge south of Dunedin where the Waipori River flows down through a bush- covered gorge out to the Taieri Plains where it ultimately joins with the Taieri River.

First pictures of the red mistletoe Peraxilla colensoi growing on silver beech (Nothofagus menziesii). This particular tree was right next to the road. I am taking a risk showing these pictures here as I am not sure what sort of passions red mistletoes may excite in northern hemisphere viewers!

Picture  5 is a native New Zealand bindweed Calystegia tuguriorum.

Picture 6 is a colony of the lichen Usnea

Picture 7 is a view looking down the Waipori Gorge

Picture 8 is of the bluffs above the river.

Pictures 9 and 10 are of a little waterfall called the Crystal Falls It is not possible to see the entire falls from the bottom. I climbed up on a big rock to get the second picture and managed to dislodge the lens cap from my camera. Luckily I was able to retrieve it. Altogether a very pleasant outing, particularly the strawberries and cream we had for afternoon tea.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: New Years Day 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »
Gosh, lovely views and the red mistletoe is something to die for. I wonder if it would parasitise any plants we grow over here? Mind you, I'm still looking forward to the promised seed of the lovely wee dwarf Nothofagus spp. from someone. ;) It is a lovely sunny day here, but a picnic is definitely out of the question! ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:15:58 PM »
Mind you, I'm still looking forward to the promised seed of the lovely wee dwarf Nothofagus spp. from someone. ;)

It wasnae me! but if you'd like some seed of Nothofagus antarctica later in the summer I can supply.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
Not antarctica as that grows into a 'king huge tree Lesley. It was those wee dwarf jobs.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
Great idea to go for a walk today. I thought of it but it was so dull
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:08:57 PM »
I don't know of any really dwarf Nothofagus. The Australian N. cunninghamii probably grows to about3 metres. N. pumila is taller in the wild. Anyone for bonsai?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:43:25 PM »
I don't know of any really dwarf Nothofagus. The Australian N. cunninghamii probably grows to about3 metres. N. pumila is taller in the wild. Anyone for bonsai?
Strange that?

We all went for a walk in glorious sunshine. From my house up the hill to the Gathering Stone on Sheriffmuir must be about 2½ miles along various types of footpath/track/logging road, but we met over a dozen like-minded folk. A day for hot soup (shame ye cannae Campbell's anymore - "the difference is in the thickness ye ken").

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
Nasty damp day here, I kept my snuffly nose safely indoors. Ian was out for various walks with Lily but I chickened out!  :-[

If it had been a day like David had for the Lyttle family picnic, I would have been right there with the sandwiches.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:54:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 01:00:20 AM »
I don't know of any really dwarf Nothofagus.

Lesley

There is a var. prostrata of N. antarctica which I saw at Tromso BG.  In a cold climate it might be dwarf for the first 10-20 years.

If Anthony is not interested I would gladly relieve you of a pinch of N. antarctica seed.  Viable N. pumilio seed seems to be impossible to find.

johnw - deathly still here and -9c.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:05:09 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 01:11:19 AM »
Strange that?
(shame ye cannae Campbell's anymore - "the difference is in the thickness ye ken").

Very strange. A sudden flashback when I saw the word Campbell's + cannae, I am taken back to childhood Xmas days when the plum pudding would be light, paraded through the house by whomever cooked it with all in tow single file singing The Campbells Are Coming.  Now why that song I have wonder?  Anyone?

johnw 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:30:45 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
Antony,

To the best of my knowledge the scarlet mistletoe parasitises only beech. The common native mistletoe Ileostylus micranthus is quite happy on a number of introduced plants. It has been recorded on willow, poplar, elm, wattle, rhododendron, apple, pear, plum and hawthorn. None of the New Zealand species of Nothofagus are particularly dwarfed though they may be a bit stunted at treeline. All of the southern beeches are ectomycorrhizal and are colonised by similar species of fungi In New Zealand, Australia and South America.

It sounds likely that a walk in Scotland at this time of year would be an invigorating experience
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »
Wonderfull, i love the mistletoe! If we have the specific host, it is possible to easily grow these parasites, if we ssow them on the trunk?
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
We spent a few days around the turn of the year about 200 km north from here near Osnabrück. A friend offered us a small weekend home which is situated south facing on the edge of the forest. So we enjoyed some unsual silent days with fireworks only in an agreeable distance.
Here are some impressions.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Now why that song I have wonder?  Anyone?

Glencoe 1692.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:33:07 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »
My apologies, I went to "quote" from Michael's post and ended up making my own post there in error!

Now why that song I have wonder?  Anyone?

Glencoe 1692.

While the song, The Campbells are coming was written to commemorate the massacre at Glencoe, the music became very will known as a military band tune and there is a story that the strains were heard as a battalion marched to rescue the survivors of the Siege of Lucknow in the Indian rebellion, 1857.... signalling that help was at hand.
I have a vague recollection of the tune used at regimental dinners, but I'm not sure about that, but I think the use of the song to accompany the arrival of the pudding is a joke reference to the "relief" of the hungry diners...... ::)

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/archive/exhibits/oneil/pages/mutiny.asp

http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/1857-to-1858-106.php   ( Commander of rescuing force.... Sir Colin Campbell !)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:40:30 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal