We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Monksilver's "Spring Thing"  (Read 5726 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Monksilver's "Spring Thing"
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »
I thought average hand luggage allowance was 9kgs.  It varies from 7kgs  to 10kgs,

Just curious - has anyone ever had their hand luggage weighed?  :-\  I haven't.   8)

John
Yes, and once, before the children were born, so that's over 12 years ago, I got into an argument with the girl behind the counter at Manchester airport (much to Vivienne's annoyance). >:( I was, the girl claimed, 1 kg over. I pointed out that the reading was 2 kg with nothing on it. She tried to claim that it still gives the true reading. She backed down as I wasn't for having it. I checked the bag on an empty aisle's scales and sure enough, 9 kg, which was 1 kg under!!! ::) Digital balances have a 'zero' button, which clearly the girl hadn't discovered or even realised the need for. I wonder how many passengers had to pay excess or rearrange their luggage?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »
Some weigh hand luggage but that is rare.
Some actually DO weigh you but I admit that it is very rare.
Why can you not put them in checked baggage ???
That is what I do.
Göte.

Travel is curious business.
I can fly to Paris, Glasgow, Barcelona you name it for less than I can take the train to south of Sweden.
However only if I book months in advance. I can be in Cambridge on the 14th at an air fare of less than 100£
BUT I would need to stay overnight at Stanstead on the 13th and somewhere else on the 14th. AND rent a car for two days. AND pay the Ryan air luggage fee.
Sigh.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:39:24 AM by gote »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 09:53:05 AM »
Why can you not put them in checked baggage ???

That would then put the checked baggage above the airline's minuscule checked baggage allowance. I have, on one occasion, had to remove something from my checked baggage and put it in my (unweighed at that time) hand luggage. I remember coming back from Mombassa in August 1992. Our luggage had a zillion T-shirts and 3 ebony rhinos, numerous other ebony carvings and souvenirs etc in it. The guy at the baggage check-in grabbed our bags, gave a furtive glance towards the supervisor, and said "your bag too heavy, you give me two English pounds". No problem! ;D There was no check-in weighing machine, and we'd been queuing in what resembled a human cattle mart for and hour and a half and were glad to be rid of it.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »
In answer to Mark (and as a gentle reminder), yes we are going to the Spring Thing, visiting friends in Cambridge on that day who only live five miles away!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »
Yes I will be at Monksilver also,went last year for the first time and came away with some lovely plants,planning to get there early  ;D
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Tim Murphy

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
I'll be there too selling cyclamen. There will be a few new nurseries this year as a few from the west/northwest can't make it because of the recent crap weather.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal