We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2009  (Read 145185 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2009
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »
In real life/metals : very easily.... in plants: with some difficulty!  :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
Can anyone recommend a fungicide which is safe to use on cyclamen?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »
Ashley has covered his options by describing the leaves of his coum as pewter/silver.

That was Jo ...

How does one distinguish between pewter and silver??

... but I'm hoping to learn too.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »

Gerry - We've occasionally used Rovral (GUARANTEE: 500 g/kg IPRODIONE) for grey mould, it's a wettable powder. Also the systemic Funginex (Triforine 195 g/L), Captan and Benomyl over the years never with ill effect. Never spraying in hot sun.

You can google these for the MSDS.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
I would hazard a guess that if you look at Ashley's picture of BSBE 1 the margin of the flower might be described as pewter and the centre as silver, and David the hederifolium leaves look silver.  Mind you even CG-W doesn't really distinguish the two in his monograph. I think more pics should be put up here so a concensus can be reached  :D

Does anyone know if the RHS colour charts have a definative answer on silver and pewter  ???

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »
So you think 'pewter' refers to pale colouration that is less intense/solid than 'silver'?  Makes sense.

Thanks Jo ;)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »
I agree with Jo about the differences, not that I understand  English better, only by growing many Cyclamen that came under these names.
The C. hederifolium David have posted earlier is a good sample for 'Silver leaf', while pewter is more of extinguished, opaque color.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »
Cyclamen Coum foliage today.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »
Gerry - We've occasionally used Rovral (GUARANTEE: 500 g/kg IPRODIONE) for grey mould, it's a wettable powder. Also the systemic Funginex (Triforine 195 g/L), Captan and Benomyl over the years never with ill effect. Never spraying in hot sun.
johnw

Many thanks John. In recent times many fungicides formerly available to amateurs have been withdrawn in the EU & I think this includes the ones you mention - Benomyl has certainly disappeared. I used to use Carbendazine (='Supercarb') on 'bulbs' when needed (rarely) but  this no longer exists. The only ones I can find at the moment are old style Copper fungicide, Mancozeb (='Dithane') & Penconazole (='Fungus Clear'). How effective these are &/or how safe with 'bulbous' plants I guess I will have to discover for myself. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:57:35 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
Ashley has covered his options by describing the leaves of his coum as pewter/silver.

That was Jo ...

How does one distinguish between pewter and silver??

... but I'm hoping to learn too.

Sorry Ashley, of course it was Jo, my old brain's getting frazzled.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »
johnw

Many thanks John. I recent times many fungicides formerly available to amateurs have been withdrawn in the EU & I think this includes the ones you mention - Benomyl has certainly disappeared. I used to use Carbendazine (='Supercarb') on 'bulbs' when needed (rarely) but  this no longer exists. The only ones I can find at the moment are old style Copper fungicide, Mancozeb (='Dithane') & Penconazole (='Fungus Clear'). How effective these are &/or how safe with 'bulbous' plants I guess I will have to discover for myself. 

Gerry, from what I read a couple of weeks ago the next round of EU 'inspired' attacks on agricultural and horticultural chemicals will see all the existing fungicides, and most of the insecticides currently available to gardeners being wiped out.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »
I would hazard a guess that if you look at Ashley's picture of BSBE 1 the margin of the flower might be described as pewter and the centre as silver, and David the hederifolium leaves look silver.  Mind you even CG-W doesn't really distinguish the two in his monograph. I think more pics should be put up here so a concensus can be reached  :D

Does anyone know if the RHS colour charts have a definative answer on silver and pewter  ???

Maggi has an RHS colour chart :-X

Jo, thanks for that, maybe others will be able to post some more pictures.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:03 PM »
Michael, what a marvelous selection, thanks for posting these photos :o
There seems to be also a stunning leaf of C. hederifolium on the top right side of the first photo.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:56:25 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »
Thanks Oron, the Hederifolium seedlings come up everywhere here,I do have to transplant them when they get mixed with the coum or they would overwhelm them.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
Wonderful cyclamen!

Yes, Maggi does (thanks to David  :-*) have an RHS colour chart.... not the full version.... but there is no mention of such metallic hues therein.

In shows there is often controversy about silver .....grey...... somtimes a problem that is circumvented by the wording silver/grey    ::)

The difference with both  the silver or grey  and silver or pewter quetion is, I think, one of shine/sheen  ::)....... that is to say, as Oron put rather well, silver suggests a gleaming, luminous silvery hue, whereas grey and pewter refer to a more opaque and dull grey metallic tone.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal