We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2009  (Read 75657 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus January 2009
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2009, 06:20:41 AM »
....finally my sandersii with extra petals. All three that have opened have four petals.

Hi Jo

I have just spotted the picture of your 4 petal sandersii - very nice.  I have a couple of 4 petal normal nivalis that came from a friends garden in Hampshire - it is nice to know that this phenomena can happen in the yellows too.  8)

Thanks for showing the picture.

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

günter

« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »
Meine erste Blüte von " Ecusson d`or", bin sehr begeistert von der guten Farbe.
Ich hoffe das Euer PC meine Zeilen übersetzt.

Günter

My first bloom  of 'Ecusson d'or'  I am very excited about the good color....
I hope that your PC shows the colour in the same way as mine.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:14:45 AM by Maggi Young »

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »

Günter

Thank you Günter for showing us your first flower on Ecusson d'or.  Your plant is showing such a good colour of yellow.  can I ask, do you grow it in a pot or in the ground?

Kind regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:05 AM »
....finally my sandersii with extra petals. All three that have opened have four petals.

Hi Jo

I have just spotted the picture of your 4 petal sandersii - very nice.  I have a couple of 4 petal normal nivalis that came from a friends garden in Hampshire - it is nice to know that this phenomena can happen in the yellows too.  8)

Thanks for showing the picture.

John
Hi John,   they were normal last year so I guess they can change from year to year.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:16:34 AM by Maggi Young »

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:30 AM »
Ecusson'd'or certainly is a pretty thing.

Lovely pictures Paddy. Someone has been working very hard in your garden putting out mulch and dividing out drops into beautiful neat drifts :)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2009, 10:23:06 AM »
Thanks for posting some super pictures Paddy, you seem way ahead of us in blooming time.

Günter your Ecusson d'Or looks a beautiful yellow, what a joy ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:56:24 AM by Maggi Young »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

günter

« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »

Günter

Thank you Günter for showing us your first flower on Ecusson d'or.  Your plant is showing such a good colour of yellow.  can I ask, do you grow it in a pot or in the ground?

Kind regards

John

im ersten Jahr lasse ich sie im Topf und halte sie getrennt von den anderen Schneeglöckchen. Danach kommen sie in die Erde

Lg
Günter

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #307 on: January 29, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
im ersten Jahr lasse ich sie im Topf und halte sie getrennt von den anderen Schneeglöckchen. Danach kommen sie in die Erde
Lg
Günter

Transl.: The first year I keep it in a pot and separated from the others. After that it will be planted outside (in the soil).
Regards
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »
Many thanks Gerd.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
Günter

Sie sind sehr mutig sein, um Risiken ausgesetzt sind, wie eine wunderbare Schneeglöckchen in der Erde

You are very brave to risk such a wonderful snowdrop in the earth.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
Very nice Paddy.  My resolve weakens with (almost) every picture ;)

So far however my snowdrop ambitions are pitiably limited ;D: to find something with good form and a strong, extensive green inner that's also vigorous in my damp alluvial soil.

Do you grow straight elwesii and if so how does it perform under your conditions?

Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
Ashley,

My experience with G. elwesii - the straight species - has been very poor. I have, on a few occasions, purchases pots of them in garden centres at the end of the season when they were being sold off cheaply and planted them out but found they dwindled very quickly after the first year. The G.elwesii cultivars/hybrids have the benefit of what is generally referred to as 'hybrid vigour' and these have always done much better. G. elwesii purchased in garden centres are also very variable, a great selection of markings etc and while some can seem interesting they do not have the vigour to do well in the garden. I don't bother with them any more.

Jo, yes, I split a few clumps last year so as to make bigger spreads of snowdrops which give, I believe, a far better appearance than the small spot plantings of many cultivars. I intend to continue this at the end of this season to create more drifts which I prefer and which give a better effect in the garden.

Brian, the snowdrops made great strides when the harsh conditions which prevailed over Christmas and early January eased. The trouble with them now is that many are very dirty from rain splashing.

Gunter, great to see you posting and your G. 'Eccuson d'Or' looks very well, certainly the best yellow I recall being posted.

Apologies to Maggi for not posting the names of the snowdrops in a list before the pictures - I did mean to come back to that as I posted the photographs around 6 a.m. this morning.

Paddy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:37:08 AM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
Paddy - I have just been in the garden.  I would say your drops are at least 2 weeks ahead of mine.   :-\  They look so happy in your garden and all seem to be increasing at a rate of knots!  I remember you posting a couple of years ago about how many S Arnotts you had because you had counted them.  Looking at the photographs now I think they are in numbers too great to count!   8)

I always think Wendys Gold looks lovely.

John
John

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »
Paddy, thank you for the firework of Snowdropics. You have a good time now. Our time will come in 3-4 weeks.
Günter, ein Topfoto von einem Spitzenschneeglöckchen!!! Hier blühen gerademan erste Elwesen.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
Hi to everyone and thanks for the super pictures. I find that the leaves of snowdrops most interesting and this is one thing which is missing from the books. The first thing I notice is the leaf shape and if you look close you can see espciall hybrids betwee G. nivalis and G. plicatus the hybrids have a fold on the back of the leaf as shown in the pictures I now post along with different G. plicatus. I have also observed that Hybid plants plicatus x nivalis will often have two flower spikes as picture. cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal