We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2009  (Read 73064 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Galanthus January 2009
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
Despite the terrible weather we have had here over the last weekend, the snowdrops began to open. I suppose the weather was warmer even if there were gale-force winds and torrential rain.

G. 'Dionysius' - delicious!
G. 'James Backhouse' - one of the G. 'Atkinsii' tribe and showing the abberant segments which differentiate it here. Reading the snowdrops book last evening, it said that stocks of G. 'Atkinsii' and G. 'James Backhouse' were completely muddled and that one should separate out the regular and irregular flowers in the garden so as to have pure G. 'Atkinsii' and the abberant G, 'James Backhouse'. This strikes me as an unsure method of identification.
G. 'Ketton'
G. 'Lyn' - another of the G. 'Atkinsii' group and a very elegant one at that.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »
I'm not a galantophile so I normally don't interfere in the discussions here.  I do enjoy some pix though.  Great show you've been putting on lately Paddy.  Marvelous and very detailed shots and I agree on Dyonisius - it's really striking !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2009, 10:19:50 AM »
Last few.

G. 'Ophelia' - I really like this one, grows very well for me and I split a clump last year and spread it into a good drift.
G. plicatus 'Warham' - another doing very well for me and has increased to very good numbers
G. 'Silverwells' - another of the G. 'Atkinsii' group and I like the long outer petals.
G. 'Washfield Colesborne' - I have only a few and think this will be a fabulous snowdrop when it bulks up and makes a good spread. It is a strong grower, a tall plant, very upright in habit and has the most fabulous foliage, gorgeously glaucous.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
Luc,

Thank you for your comments. I have been trying to recreate the style of photography used in the snowdrop book to illustrate snowdrops - the black background to set off the white petals etc. These are all taken indoors using black card as a background, lit with a table lamp and a home-made reflector - an experiment, trial and error to find the best way to do it.

Paddy

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
Luc,

Thank you for your comments. I have been trying to recreate the style of photography used in the snowdrop book to illustrate snowdrops - the black background to set off the white petals etc. These are all taken indoors using black card as a background, lit with a table lamp and a home-made reflector - an experiment, trial and error to find the best way to do it.

Paddy

...and a very good job you are making of it.  Well done Paddy and thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:52:13 PM by Brian Ellis »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »
Lovely photos Paddy, you're much further on than we are in Devon. Bill Bishop is only just at the surface here and Dionysius is in light bulb bud shape.

I'm looking forward to your in situ shots with a little garden in the background.

The artificial light is giving a slightly creamy effect to the petals but the black card works well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
Exquisite show Paddy.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
Paddy, 'Washfield Colesborne' is a beauty and one of my favourites. Just a note of warning - for me (and another grower I know) it seems to do superbly for a while, making huge strong bulbs, then may suddenly succumb badly to disease. Twice I've had to rescue it by cleaning up and chipping rotten bulbs where the year before there was a strong clump (most recently after the last wet summer). It seems to suffer from some kind of bulb rot rather than stagonospora, as the bulbs go back rather than being killed outright, so it can be rescued if caught in time. I'd advise not letting clumps get too congested (although it looks stunning when it's made a dense clump) and giving it good drainage.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:00:52 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
Sorry, sorry! In that last post I obviously meant 'Washfield Colesborne', not 'Washfield Warham'. Am editing it now.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »
Martin,

Many thanks for the warning re 'Washfield Colesborne'. My garden is particularly wet over winter, though it dries off quite quickly in late spring. Having bulbs standing in wet soil overwinter would not be best for them. I think I'll move this little clump of 'Washfield Colesborne' to a better drained position later in the year. I build a raised bed over the Christmas holidays.

Jo,

The white balance is difficult to get right and I have tried various settings in an attempt to get a clear white. I took one set in "raw" but they take so long to edit in Photoshop later that I didn't want to continue along this line. Some of the creaminess is due to weathering, I think. How I wish I could show you some outdoor shots. At present the weather here is atrocious. The snowdrops above were collected on the gallop dodging the downpour and then photographed last night. I would have imagined that Devon would be quite mild - it certainly has that reputation but I suppose we are a bit more under the influence of the ocean here. I' ve booked a holiday for Easter week to visit gardens in Cornwall and Devon and hope to see nice gardens. Any recommendations?

Brian and David, many thanks for encouragement - I'll keep trying to get this technique right as I think it shows the snowdrops well.

Paddy

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2009, 01:43:37 PM »
Paddy I rarely use a black background these days and now use Ian Y's method of a very pale grey card or blue sky.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »
Paddy I rarely use a black background these days and now use Ian Y's method of a very pale grey card or blue sky.

What's your reasoning behind that Mark?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »
I find black doesnt give a good contrast especially in very bright light. When the weather improves I'll experiment and show the difference unless someone else happens to have sunshine soon
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:06:06 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Martin wanted to know what elwesii Pat Mason looks like

Is that a photo from now - or a previous season?

My one is still not out  - I shall still take a photo when she is.   :)

Regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
Thanks Mark, good to know why.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal