We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Posting - Accents  (Read 9429 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Posting - Accents
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
Thanks, David, yes, I found it.... not exactly handy though, is it?  :P
I reckon I'm better off with my cribsheet of saved instances !! It's only a couple of  mouse-clicks away, while all this other stuff is twice as far!  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

maggiepie

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 01:45:20 PM »
Thanks, David, yes, I found it.... not exactly handy though, is it?  :P
I reckon I'm better off with my cribsheet of saved instances !! It's only a couple of  mouse-clicks away, while all this other stuff is twice as far!  :-\

Maggi, you can go back to the start, programs,accessories, system tools, and right drag the character map to the desktop, it will make a copy
You can either leave it there for whenever you want to use it, or drag it onto your quick launch bar, that's where I have mine.
It doesn't get any handier than that. ;D ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
Excellent, Helen.... I have done that. It didn't make a copy to my desktop ( which I interpret as being the screen which shows when i have no windows open/programmmes running ) but I have it now in the launch menu ( the list of options shown by a click on the "Start" button, bottom left of my screen!)
 Apologies for my lack of expertise in the doings and terminology of this infernal machine... as you can see, I am no expert... it is great to have help for myself, and the many others struggling, from you folks who have a better grasp of what is what!  You  see how hard it is for someone who  is not au fait with  these things to cope with directions... we really do need leading by  the hand through every stage... ::) 8)
Many thanks to all who have helped !   :-* 8)

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »
go back to the start, programs,accessories, system tools, and right drag the character map to the desktop

I used left drag, and that should be in combination with control unless you want to (re)move charmap from the menu.

The start menu reflects the layout of a folder on disc:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
so you can move the short cuts in there around.

I don't think Charmap is handy, best is to know the keyboard short cuts, the code numbers or to copy from another document, but charmap can be useful for example it shows you all the available glyphs (characters) in a font.

Some programs allow you to type the hex code for a symbol into your document and then press Alt+X.

For languages like Japanese there are Input Method Editors (IMEs) available from Microsoft, and in my experience not the sort of thing to install unless you really need them.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
As usual, Macs provide the simpler & more elegant procedure.

It occurs to me that I should stop plugging the virtues of Macs otherwise more people might start using them. Then the halfwits who think it clever to devise disabling viruses will turn their attention to us & we will be in the same unfortunate position as PC users.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »
For Mac users here is a summary of how to do it for pasting. After typing opt plus the accent-specific symbol you type the letter you wish to accent. As usual, Macs provide the simpler & more elegant procedure.

Gerry  - Thanks - Got it. I was doing it as for Windows - ie typing A while holding Opt and e down  - and one should really be a Scarlatti player to manage the contortions required for Windows. Very easy on the Mac.

Now the question, nowhere in the chart is there a way to do å but I got 'å by doing it the wrong way. So went back and a simple Opt then a gives you å.  Now to figure out how to get ø.   Ah ha, ø = Opt + o.  I have to wonder why these features are not mentioned anywhere.

Think I have everything I need but GBP and Euros. Found the Canadian dollar, just simply press 0.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:06:12 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »
I am relaxing to Scarlatti... a great favourite and the perfect antidote to the "pooter info" overload I'm suffering from  right now!  :-[
 John, why not do as the Banks do.... for British pounds use GBP, for Canadian dollars use CAD, for Euros EUR,  American dollars USD etc.... .... that is easy, huh?

maggiepie

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 03:11:23 PM »
go back to the start, programs,accessories, system tools, and right drag the character map to the desktop

I used left drag, and that should be in combination with control unless you want to (re)move charmap from the menu.

David, with a right drag you have the option to copy here, or move here once you release the mouse button and no need for using CTRL :)

Helen Poirier , Australia

johnw

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »
Maggi  - I'm afraid I have a penchant for the weird little symbols.  We still have to do USD$ ands CAD$ when required.

ουσ. ιδ

Gerry Webster

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »
I have to wonder why these features are not mentioned anywhere.
Think I have everything I need but GBP and Euros. Found the Canadian dollar, just simply press 0.
johnw
John -  I originally got the details from OS9 (Classic) via 'Apple Menu' then  'Keycaps'. Your post prompted me to look in OS10 (Apple Help) where there are equivalent, slightly more complicated, instructions. Here they are:
   1.   Open the document where you want to type.
   2.   Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click International.
   3.   Click Input Menu, then select the checkbox next to Keyboard Viewer.
   4.   Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the input menu on the right side of the menu bar (the one that looks like a flag).
   5.   Press Option, Shift, or both Option and Shift to see the different accent marks that you can type. The accent mark keys appear with white outlines. Depending on your keyboard, you may not need to press any of the modifier keys to see the accent keys.
   6.   Press the modifier key you pressed in step 5 (Shift, Option, Option-Shift, or none) and press the key on your keyboard that is in the same place as the accent you see in the Keyboard Viewer. Then release the modifier key and press the key for the character you want to accent.
   7.   For example, on a U.S. keyboard, to make á appear, press Option and E (the accent key), then press A (the key on which you want that accent to appear).

I dare say keyboards vary, but on mine GBP(£) = shift + 3. Euro = opt + 2.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 05:44:41 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
David, with a right drag you have the option to copy here, or move here once you release the mouse button and no need for using CTRL

Echoing Maggi above, right drag does nothing on the sub-menus. On the first level right drag offers the (best) option, create a short cut.
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
Maggie
you wrote:
Göte, you will see that I have edited your post ! Forgive me?
I will forgive you nearly anything but I cannot se any editing.
I believe that I wrote it so splendidly as it now is  ;D ;D ;D
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
I'm going to divert this thread slightly. Just now I heard a BBC Radio1 DJ saying to words that seem very wrong to me. It's regarding texting/SMS

He said "I've just been reading the texts (he said tex-is). This person texted (he said text-tid) to say ..."

I say texts and texted without saying the -ed. What do you say?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
Maggie
you wrote:
Göte, you will see that I have edited your post ! Forgive me?
I will forgive you nearly anything but I cannot see any editing.
I believe that I wrote it as splendidly as it now is  ;D ;D ;D
Göte

Excellent! That is what we call "invisible mending"   8) ;D

johnw

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »
Gerry - Thanks alot.  Things seem to work here without doing a thing on the very basic iMac flattish keyboard.

Searched Euro symbol +Apple and got this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA26547?viewlocale=en_US
hold opt while holding shift and hit 2 = €
opt + 2 = ™
opt + 3 = £
opt +4 = ¢

johnw
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:06:57 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal