We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2009  (Read 70970 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Re: Fritillaria 2009
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
The first flower on Frit Gibbosa this year and more to follow,but thought I would post it anyway
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
A few more Frits, F. michailovski, F. amana (?) and F. kurdica.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

derekb

« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »
Derek, I am interested in what ways Fritillaria crassifolia spp kurdica and karadaghensis differ- I had thought they were synonyms.
Simon, according to Rannveig Wallis karadaghensis is a more vigorus form of kurdica found on Kara Dag NE of Tabriz , Iran.

Derek.
Sunny Mid Sussex

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
I  love all these. What a super colour is F. gibbosa. I can hardly wait for winter to come and go, and my own frits to start.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2009, 09:32:12 PM »
Derek, I am interested in what ways Fritillaria crassifolia spp kurdica and karadaghensis differ- I had thought they were synonyms.
Simon, according to Rannveig Wallis karadaghensis is a more vigorus form of kurdica found on Kara Dag NE of Tabriz , Iran.
Derek.
Thanks Derek- so it's more of a clonal name then. I shall look forward to mine flowering to see how they compare.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

arillady

« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2009, 05:18:32 AM »
Is here a listing somewhere of Fritillarias that will do well in very hot dry summers and mild winters with about 15" of rainfall a year and maybe a few frosts?
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Gerry Webster

« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »
Derek.
Thanks Derek- so it's more of a clonal name then. I shall look forward to mine flowering to see how they compare.
Simon - in botanical terms, these are synonyms. However, F. crassifolia subsp kurdica  is an extremely variable species. A few years ago when I was 'into' frits (or, more exactly, struggling with them) I had 5 different forms which differed so much in size, habit & flower one would have taken them for different species.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Sinchets

« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
Yes Gerry I have quite a few forms myself, as well as ones grown from my own seed- I was continuing a theme from other forums of how it isn't really helpful for us to have all these names floating around that may or may not be valid, when it is easier to say where a form actually came from. I have 2 forms of Fritillaria pinardii with RRW collection numbers- both of which look rather different from the type normally seen in books. Fritillaria meleagris is also extremely variable in colour, height etc. especially in cultivation so it is safe to assume that many other species will be too.
Simon

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
I'd really like an ident on a little green and brown frit I have. I got it either as seed or bulbils from the Frit Group under the name of F. argolica. The donators were the Wallis's..people who seriously know their onions..Frits etc etc. But maybe a mix up in the packing office or here? Shiny green leaves, about 3 inches tall (but it's the first flowering).

The other one is F. recurva, grown from Archibald seed.

Oxford, UK

Gerry Webster

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »
I'd really like an ident on a little green and brown frit I have.
Mark - Looks rather like F. hermonis subsp. amana (or F. amana if you prefer to follow the Wallis's  revision). 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »
hi, well I thought so too..but it seems to have more tessalation on the flowers than the other ones I have here. It's nice but I think I would have prefered F.argolica!
Oxford, UK

Sinchets

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2009, 07:31:08 PM »
Welcome to the Botanical Box of Chocolates.
Simon

Gerry Webster

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »
The beauty(?) of the Frit Group seed exchange is that you (almost) never know what you will get. Anything which is not F. acmopetala should be regarded as a bonus.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
The amount of chequering varies enormously, Mark, on hermonis as on other tessellated frits. ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »
The beauty(?) of the Frit Group seed exchange is that you (almost) never know what you will get. Anything which is not F. acmopetala should be regarded as a bonus.

Oh blast! I really thought the Frit Group's seed list would be pretty reliable, with all those "expert" names beside the donations. My first from that source are due to flower this coming spring so it seems it could be a lucky dip too? From society seedlists I'm used to getting acmopetala, pontica, meleagris for 3 of every 5 requests. ???

A lovely recurva Mark. Mine was from the same source and flowered in 3 years. Funny, it looks just like yours. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal