We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2009  (Read 70978 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Fritillaria 2009
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
Anne - I agree with Tony, F.  pinardii. The colouration suggests it may be the fine form collected by Vic Horton & Norman Stevens on Ilgaz Dag (HS 2526).
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »
I struggle with frits which seem to have some soil borne disease which causes them to wilt and die of before flowering.This results in ever smaller bulbs.

Could  the mite Rhizoglyphus echinopus be the reason?
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Gerry Webster

« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
Three of mine in flower. I struggle with frits which seem to have some soil borne disease which causes them to wilt and die of before flowering.This results in ever smaller bulbs.
Tony - this sounds like 'Fritillaria keeling-over disease', caused by a fungal infection. This was widespread some years ago but I haven't heard much about it recently. Some people had success in controlling it using a micro organism product called Viresco. This used to be obtainable from John McLaughlan Horticulture (in Thirsk, N. Yorks) but I don't know whether they still exist. There was at least one article on the problem in the Frit Journal; I'll try & find it.

Edit: the article, by Bob Wallis, was in Frit Journal no.3 (Autumn 1998). Infected plants wilted & very quickly stems rotted off  at the point of attachment to the bulb. For the most part, the bulbs themselves  remained intact though considerably weakened. Bob & Rannveig found that treatment with a  microrhizal culture (Viresco) plus its nutrient (Humate) appeared to control the disease. At the time of writing, they had only used Viresco + Humate for one season but were sufficiently impressed by the results to recommend it to others who had the problem.     
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:18:50 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Gerry that would be very helpful,I have had it for several years and tried different fungicides to no avail.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
Tony - I've added the details in an edit to my previous post. Bob Wallis says fungicides are ineffective & should be completely avoided during the microrhizal treatment; they kill the beneficial microrganisms.
If they still exist -  John McLaughlan Horticulture, 50a Market Place, Thirsk, N. Yorkshire Y07, 1LH

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
I struggle with frits which seem to have some soil borne disease which causes them to wilt and die of before flowering.This results in ever smaller bulbs.

Could  the mite Rhizoglyphus echinopus be the reason?

Or even simple botrytis? In which case, a good fungicide applied 2 or 3 times during the growth period should fix it
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:45:04 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
Re-reading the symptoms, apparently NOT botrytis. Ignor the post immediately above. :-[
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
Gerry thank you for that information.I will look into getting the product.Cost will be a consideration because I only have a small number of frits,which are of course getting less as time goes by. If practicable I will give it a go.

I see both are available from Viresco Uk.Ltd
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:23:33 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
Could someone ID  this please. Looks like acmopetala without the colouring but the flower is almost twice the size,and the plant is 45cm high.

Fritillaria ?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »
I can't be sure but it really does look like an acmopetala form. There are some so-called "yellow" forms with no or few markings and greenery-yallery colour. But maybe someone else.....?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2009, 09:52:42 AM »
I can't be sure but it really does look like an acmopetala form. There are some so-called "yellow" forms with no or few markings and greenery-yallery colour. But maybe someone else.....?
This was my thought too, based on the flower shape, but without seeing the inside of the flower (the nectaries & style)) & the arrangement of the leaves it's almost impossible to pronounce.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »
Flowering now in the bulb frame: Fritillaria aurea and Fritillaria sewerzowii
Flowering in the garden: Fritillaria raddeana
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
Michael,
Can it be the yellow form of Fr.pyrenaica?
in Moscow

Gerry Webster

« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2009, 06:54:29 PM »
Michael,
Can it be the yellow form of Fr.pyrenaica?
OlegKon - Yes, that is a possiblility I hadn't thought of. We really need to see the inside of the flower & the leaves before any definite ID.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2009, 08:19:49 PM »
Flowering today Fritillaria hermonis amana, F.hermonis amana 'Belen', F. nigra, F.crassifolia crassifolia and F.pinardii.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal