We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2009  (Read 69864 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Fritillaria 2009
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »
I like it a lot too, Lesley- the 'rehab' is because the place where they lived for 2 years had been invaded by voles. Although they didn't eat much, they undermined all of the plants to make a hazelnut store. We were wondering why the plants were getting smaller each year and a little digging last summer revealed they were 'floating' and very dry at the root. A great plant to have as a weed though- at the moment my main weed in this bed is Nicotiana.  :-\
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »
I never cease to be grateful that we have no voles, moles, crocus-loving mice (ours haven't aquired the taste - yet) and others which are the bain of northern gardeners' lives. Not even wombats, echidnas or snakes with which the Aussies do battle. The occasional possum or bunny is small beer in comparison and the bunnies have mostly gone, while possums keep to the bush. Thank you Lord!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Sinchets

« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »
Yes, I guess it will take some time before the NZ native fauna adapts to eating bulbs ;) We are touching wood, that so far we have no pack rats here.
Simon

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #378 on: May 22, 2009, 08:21:04 AM »
Simon,

If it is going to be native to NZ then it is either going to have to be birds or bats.... they have no other native mammals at all.  Unfortunately they do now have some Australian imports such as Possums and Wallabies though.  ::)  And then there are the carnivorous things like stoats etc that are helping to decimate the native wildlife.  So sad really, as so many of the NZ native birds are so unique as they all occupy the niches in the ecosystem that everywhere else has mammals.  There's some fascinating native wildlife in NZ.

But I digress..... back to Fritillarias...... there are some amazing ones in here again.  I do love the sewertzowii (I have liked every picture I have ever seen of it) and that elwesii is just so elegant.  So many other brilliant ones in here as well though.  Thanks all.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
Simon,

There's some fascinating native wildlife in NZ.

Well loook at me, for instance. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
 ::)

;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Sinchets

« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
Simon,
There's some fascinating native wildlife in NZ.
Well loook at me, for instance. ;D
So are you prone to run amok- nibbling at rare native flora?  ;)
Simon

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »
I guess that depends whether the native flora is made of chocolate or not?  Eh Lesley?  ;)

:-*
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
Been away for a week, and wow I'd say a lot happened in the garden during that time. Here is some of what greeted me when I came back:

Fritillaria collina
F. eduardii
F. sewerzowii

Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2009, 10:12:12 PM »
Beautiful frits Magnar, as is everything in your garden.

There are actually a great many edible plants among our native flora and even a restaurant in Auckland that specializes in dishes made with them. For bush walkers it pays to be conversant with these plants as they are a reliable food source in case of emergencies. However, as Paul suggests, I always take a good supply of chocolate. :)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #385 on: May 25, 2009, 08:37:38 AM »
Been away for a week, and wow I'd say a lot happened in the garden during that time. Here is some of what greeted me when I came back:

Fritillaria collina
F. eduardii
F. sewerzowii

Magnar, what a welcome home!  Your F. collina is really lovely and the F. sewerzowii is fascinating (where do all these names come from?  Presumably sewerzowii is someones name  ???   )             
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #386 on: May 25, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »

Fritillaria collina
F. eduardii
F. sewerzowii

Magnar, what a welcome home!  Your F. collina is really lovely and the F. sewerzowii is fascinating (where do all these names come from?  Presumably sewerzowii is someones name  ???   )             
F. sewerzowii is named after Nicolai Sewerzov (1827 - 1885), a Russian zoologist, cartographer & explorer who participated in several expeditions to central & eastern Asia.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #387 on: May 25, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »
Magnar,

Love those three.  I'll have one of each please.  ;)  They are all spectacular aren't they, although I would imagine that the colour of the last would put some people off (I find it and it's form fascinating..... hope to grow it one day).  Thanks so much for sharing your pics.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #388 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Some more Frits started to flower. Not sure of the identification of unibracteata, but received as such.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:46:40 PM by Magnar »
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #389 on: June 01, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
Magnar,

That roylei is pretty special.  I love the grey "bloom" on the bloom. ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal