We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2009  (Read 69100 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Fritillaria 2009
« Reply #420 on: June 14, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
Cliff - may I suggest you give some of the offsets (& seed, if any) to Ian Young & to Bob & Rannveig Wallis? That way it has a good chance of surviving & being distributed.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #421 on: June 14, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
How beautiful your red Frit is Cliff - sending good vibes for its success in its propagation  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #422 on: June 14, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
Cliff, I don't think you can do much for a while yet except that if it's still in flower, hand pollinate it a couple of times before it fades. Same clone but better than not trying. When it dies down and is quite dormant, say July/August (F. camschatcensis is not, in my experience, one of the very early rooting species, like say, F. pallidiflora) lift it and assuming there are a number of little hangers on, wipe some (not more than half) off and send these to Ian and the Wallises or whoever, in the UK/Europe. Not more than half because the big bulbs are often reluctant to re-establish if too many of their babies are removed. I sometimes used to take the lot and never saw the parents again.

Just for the record, my "weedy" ones never set seed! Just hundreds of leaflet babies.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:14:05 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #423 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:20 PM »
Many thanks, Lesley.  Unfortunately the flower faded over ten days ago and, as I had no idea of the potential of this colour form, I didn't give it any special treatment.  Because the past few days have been very warm and sunny the stem, though watered, is wilting already and the plant itself is rather small and now looks a little unloved.  I will take your welcome advice and will investigate below the compost later in the year.  Your name is already on the seed and or rice grain list.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #424 on: July 14, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
OK, we have some seed of a very robust, deep red clone of Fr. imperialis.  How does one germinate them?  Do they require stratification? (cold, warm-cold, etc.)  Do they respond to gibberelins?  How long is the germination?

I have germinated other Frits in pots over Winter with success, but these seeds really interest me as the clone grows particularly well in my conditions.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #425 on: July 14, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
I have F.imperialis growing from seed sown in autumn in the usual way no fuss- fresh seed comes up like cress the following spring, but it will be a slow process to flowering size. I have F.raddeana seedlings 5 years old, which are only now making good sized but none flowering stems. My 3year old F.imperialis are still single bladed.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #426 on: July 14, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Thanks, Simon, for the encouraging words! ;D ;D ;D ??? :'(  Should really have known.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #427 on: July 14, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »
It's worth doing though, because, as I am sure you know, you never know what might turn up  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #428 on: September 08, 2009, 04:51:37 AM »
Fritillaria ruthenica, first flower on this bulb.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #429 on: September 08, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
At the risk of being a pain - an even worse one than usual - would you please post of picture of the flower Doug, with the complete bits of foliage around and above the flower. I ask because almost everything we have had in NZ as ruthenica is, in fact, montana/orientalis or similar. The way to tell true ruthenica is that the top leaves around the bloom have curly tips, by which they can cling to and climb on, anything around them. I, finally, have the real thing in flower today, a seedling from Vlastimil Pilous seed, 4 years ago. Will try for a picture in the morning.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #430 on: September 08, 2009, 06:19:17 AM »
Well why wait for morning. Here's mine. The flower is lighter than the image suggests but the curly tips are visible.

162785-0

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #431 on: September 08, 2009, 06:37:56 AM »
They're curly, but not as much as yours! What do you think?
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #432 on: September 08, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »
Some F. ruthenica have curlier tips than others, and the number of tip leaves can vary too.....getting the feeling that little is ever certain in this life????
 Doug's is looking more like a montana for my money.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #433 on: September 08, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
Some F. ruthenica have curlier tips than others, and the number of tip leaves can vary too.....getting the feeling that little is ever certain in this life????
 Doug's is looking more like a montana for my money.

I agree that  Doug's looks more like montana. Lesley's looks as though it might be the real thing - very like the plant I had (& lost) some 20 years ago. The tendril-like leaves are similar to those of 'F. verticillata' (of gardens). I remember a very good painting of the real thing in an issue of 'The Plantsman' some years ago; the article was, I think, by Martyn Rix.

When I was editing the Frit Journal I spent a good deal of time trying to find a photo of genuine F. ruthenica without success; all turned to to be montana, 'nigra', 'tenella' or 'orientalis' (so-called). I think the genuine plant is actually quite rare in cultivation.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #434 on: September 08, 2009, 05:24:15 PM »
For Frit folk, I noticed that the current issue of The Plantsman (Vol 8, part 3, Sept '09) has 2 articles that you might be interested in.
One on Iranian Frits by the Wallis's, and one on Frit culture in Seramis by Paul Cumbleton  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal