We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2009  (Read 69094 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Fritillaria 2009
« Reply #435 on: September 08, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
Mmm, Doug's looks quite like mine that everyone tells me ISN'T ruthenica.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #436 on: September 08, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
Mmm, Doug's looks quite like mine that everyone tells me ISN'T ruthenica.

You mean this one,from the previous page, Lesley?
 No we're saying that it IS ruthenica... :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
Sorry Maggi, I seem to be doing everything possible to confuse people. The one on the previous page IS ruthenica, as you say, and it was raised from seed from Vlastimil Pilous. Doug's looks like the OTHER  "ruthenica" I have from a couple of different local sources, which I now realize is montana or tenella or etc. I'd take a picture but it's usually one of the very earliest to flower for me and is already finished.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2009, 12:27:44 AM »
Oh, Lesley, don't fret, I think I'm the one who gets confused.... sometimes all the threads just run together in my head  :P I've been scoffing plums this evening and I think my choc level has fallen too low.  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #439 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
Two out fully today are:

a nice seedling from FGAGS (03) of Fritillaria aurea. It may well be a hybrid. The flower is a lot paler yellow than aurea, lemon really, and there is just the very faintest suggestion of chequering. As well, the petals curve outwards at the tips instead of inward. It's very pretty.
163211-0

and this seedling from F. tubiformis var. moggridgei, two flowering stems side by side on the same bulb. Another is coming separately. While not as yellow as I think it should be, it is not sufficiently red to be straight tubiformis.
163213-1

163215-2

Gerry Webster

« Reply #440 on: September 10, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
Lesley - I've seen F. tubiformis of this colour before & there is plenty of scope for discussion as to what they are.  Although Kew still recognises the name F. tubiformis  subsp. moggridgei I think it just as likely that all these forms are just colour variants of one species, F. tubiformis. Whatever their true identity, they are very handsome &, in your care, they seem to be thriving. Congratulations!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #441 on: September 10, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
Thanks Gerry. It was seed as the variety, though a good long time ago and I don't remember where from, probably AGS. I always wanted it because I'd seen a brilliant golden yellow version in a friend's garden, huge, blooms, at that time totally new and awesome to me. But I like these very much.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #442 on: September 11, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
Started checking of pictures made in summer and putting names on them. On this slide you can see Fritillaria ussuriensis but I would like to name it FALLING IN LOVE
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
What can one say to that? Looks like the tangled web we weave, to me. :)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #444 on: September 13, 2009, 11:10:44 AM »
Definitely all embracing - maybe plants do have an affinity to one another and it isn't just mutually beneficial  ::)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
Janis,

a striking foto!  Will this species be available on this years list?  I love a plant that embraces pot culture.  How are they in the open garden?

Lesley,

although my first thought upon seeing the foto was a tangled web, I quickly drifted to 'tapestry', as I work with fabric and the motif reminded me of Belgian and French botanical weaves.  The foto would translate wonderfully to graphic design.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2009, 04:50:28 AM »
Here is an all yellow or rather yellow/green flower on Frit. rhodokanakis, one of a small patch which mostly have some red in them. This one hasn't flowered before though there have been others flower for 3 or 4 years.
164107-0

164109-1

The others in the patch are like this
164111-2

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:52 AM »
Jamie, did you ever see the magnificent tapestries of Dom Robert? They were French I think and of wonderful birds, flowers and I remember one at an exhibition here in Dunedin many years ago, of little horses with waving manes and flashing feet. I would kill to have one. I have several pictures of them but as slides.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
Here is an all yellow or rather yellow/green flower on Frit. rhodokanakis, one of a small patch which mostly have some red in them. This one hasn't flowered before though there have been others flower for 3 or 4 years.

A really lovely sunny yellow with green in your Frit. rhodokanakis group, Lesley, great to see on a cold grey day here in the Alps, thanks  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #449 on: September 17, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
Janis,

a striking foto!  Will this species be available on this years list?  I love a plant that embraces pot culture.  How are they in the open garden?

Lesley,

although my first thought upon seeing the foto was a tangled web, I quickly drifted to 'tapestry', as I work with fabric and the motif reminded me of Belgian and French botanical weaves.  The foto would translate wonderfully to graphic design.

Jamie

The F. ussuriensis is grown mostly outside with me, but stock is very limited.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal