We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2009  (Read 70955 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Fritillaria 2009
« Reply #450 on: September 18, 2009, 06:33:43 AM »
The first fritillarias in flower at our place:
Fritillaria carica
164608-0

Fritillaria erhartii (?) grown from Seedex about 6 years ago.
164610-1

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Michael

« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
Love it Fermi!

Carica in portuguese is one of these things. Quite a funny name... :)
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #452 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »
You mean bottle top Michael? ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2009, 11:12:42 PM »
Carica in portuguese is one of these things. Quite a funny name... :)   

And Carica is also the genus of papaya  ???
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #454 on: September 23, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
Three more frits out here are in succession, FF. sibthorpiana, davisii and bithynica. I always wonder about this last as bithynica is said to have winged seed pods. My pods are smooth and unwinged. Some of the flowers have pink edges to the petals, making a striped appearance.

165855-0

165857-1

165859-2

165861-3
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #455 on: September 24, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »
Lesley, your F.'bithynica' seems to have something of F.pinardii about it. Was it seed grown?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Michael

« Reply #456 on: September 24, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
You mean bottle top Michael? ???

Exactly Lesley. I dont see the connection at all, but... who knows?
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #457 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »
F. pinardii? That I HADN'T thought of. I did originally grow it from seed I think - it was a long time ago - and several generations of seedlings have all been either green or green with the pinkish stripe. I've not had seed on my pinardiis to compare the pods. It's great from seed, flowering in less that 2 and a half years. I'd welcome other opinions here, from Gerry, Tony, Ian Y et al.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #458 on: September 24, 2009, 11:41:30 PM »
F. pinardii? That I HADN'T thought of. I did originally grow it from seed I think - it was a long time ago - and several generations of seedlings have all been either green or green with the pinkish stripe. I've not had seed on my pinardiis to compare the pods. It's great from seed, flowering in less that 2 and a half years. I'd welcome other opinions here, from Gerry, Tony, Ian Y et al.

Lesley - the yellow-green flowers in the left-hand part of the pot look like what I know as F.bithynica. I'm not sure about the others. Possibly F.pinardii - a taxon that can contain just about anything -  or a hybrid? As regards the capsule, that of F.pinardii is said to be unwinged. In Flora of Turkey Rix states that while F. bithynica usually has a winged capsule, populations with unwinged capsules are scattered throughout the southern part of the distribution of the species.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:11:57 AM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
Here is F. purdyi from Archibald seed. I like it very much ut one I had years ago from Wayne Roderick seed, had crimson pollen and heavier spotting which made the flower much more exciting. Still, I'm not complaining. :)
169615-0

169617-1

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #460 on: October 08, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Lesley,

Some awesome Frits you're posting at present.  The last 4 species you've posted I grow (although my bithynica is somewhat different to that one of yours), but the ones before that (aurea, tubiformis, rhodokanakis etc) I've never grown here.  I just love the aurea and tubiformis forms.... Very, very nice.  I must mention that I have happy little seedlings coming along from michaelovskyi and a couple of other seed lots that you sent me last year.... so you've got children (or should that be grandchildren?) here as well at the moment!!

Very few Frits going to flower for me this year unfortunately.  Has been a tough few years with early warmth that forced them into dormancy more rapidly than they should be.... so no flowers.

Janis,

Great photo of Love's Embrace!  ;D  They do look so romantic, don't they.  I guess you could also just call it "Romantic Mood"!  ;)

Thanks to all who are posting pics of Frits at the moment.  Nice to be able to enjoy them when so few are flowering for me here this year.  I can at least remember what they have looked like in the past (and hopefully again in the future) this way.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Kees Green

« Reply #461 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »
I do not own one fritillaria, that will change in the coming years.
These are beautiful plants, now I see why my mother had them years ago before her move to Australia.
I will keep a look out for them.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2009, 02:04:52 AM »
Paul,
Last year these two didn't do much at all but have produced a couple of blooms each this season,
Fritillaria messanensis
169696-0

F.lusitanica on a 2 ft tall stem
169690-1169694-2

A smaller bulb of F. lusitanica also had a flower open a few days before the taller stem,
169692-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2009, 04:49:26 AM »
I've been watering the frit pots today with a systemic fungicide as there are the first signs of botrytis, most likely a consequence of very damp days over the last month or so but I also believe it is more prevelant in soil-less composts as I don't have the problem with the species planted in the garden rather than potted. I plan to plant out as many as possible this summer in my new bit of garden which is gradually taking shape (but the damned wheelbarrow gave out on me today).

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #464 on: October 08, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »
FF. sibthorpiana, davisii and bithynica

Lesley, this group of Frits in your garden are so attractive, I love the shape of the flower bell and the colours.  Does F purdyi grow in full sun or part shade to enhance the spotting?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal