We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March - April2007  (Read 70919 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Galanthus March 2007
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »
Mark,

Yep.  I had a chuckle about that myself too.  The Galanthus season never ends eh?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »
Paul, nice to see that 'the little white flower with the green smudges fever' is alive and well in Oz.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
David,

Well and truly, and most definitely not just me.  I may have 50 or so different varieties, but that I realise is just a fraction of what there really are.  So many of the named ones never get to Aus, and because of the use of chemicals in quarantining bulbs there is limited chance of new ones surviving being brought in now.  Until they find an alternative for Methyl Bromide the problems will continue.  I am still hoping to one day get seed from 'Trym' from someone and then miraculously get a seedling to bloom true.  I do know of one bulb of 'Trym' in Aus, but it is struggling on apparently.  Often it appears that they live through the Methyl Bromide and then slowly get the dwindles until they die out. <sigh>  Here's hoping that they find an alternative soon that isn't so toxic to the 'little white flower with the green smudges" brethren.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:24:49 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

loes

Re: Galanthus March - April2007
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the photo`s!  :D
it`s nice to see what I am waiting for.
Hope my reginae-olgae and pesmenii will flower for me this autumn.
What`s your next drop to flower?
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2007, 11:30:10 PM »
Paul,

Did you buy 'Winterwood' this summer? It seems to me that that is the way to go, rather than going the Methyl Bromide route.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »
Here is the answer about what was the flowerbuds going to be that I had earlier. http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=300.msg9359#msg9359
The aswers is a very spectacular looking galanthus with multiple flowers.
I have not seen any one like that and it is not galanthus ikari that it was bought as.
It is galathus narcicus tazettus I may have made my fortune. 2€ will become millions on ebay. ::)
Unfortunally it does not have much scent and the flowers are only 1cm across. They did not last as long as the narcissus.
Joakim
PS Fermides was spot on in his guess/reply
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #216 on: April 17, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
Loes,

It actually varies a bit from year to year to be honest.  There are a couple of them that tend to vie for the honour, but I'll go back and check at least for last winter and let you know.  I usually get 4 to 6 weeks out of the autumn ones, then there is a brief rest of a week or two until the first of the elwesii types appear.  The very first one out is usually an elwesii that I don't have a name for.  It has produced a nice little clump and always is in flower early in June.  Sometimes others beat it but not often.  It just looks like a "usual" elwesii monostrictus type.  It may or may not be an Australian seedling of some type.

Rob,

Yeah, I bought that too.  Do you mean that we should just be breeding our own?  To be honest (although it has only flowered for me the once so no idea what it will settle down to) I couldn't see any difference to the normal 'Atkinsii'.  It is apparently 'Winterwood Atkinsii' I think... a "superior" seedling selected from 'Atkinsii'.  In it's first flowering here it could have been the same as the original, although it has yet to settle down.

I would really like to get 'Rabbit Ears' but I do not know of it ever being shared from the original garden it was found in.  Sounded quite interesting.  Such a shame if something is found and named, then never gets out into collections to keep it alive in the event of something happening in the original garden (not wishing anything ON that original garden either I might add).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 02:13:31 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2007, 11:29:05 PM »
Paul,

"Do you mean that we should just be breeding our own?"

Exactly so.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2007, 08:34:27 AM »
Rabbit's Ears? There are quite split spathe that available. I dont think another should be named to satisfy an eager isolated market unless it stands out as very different.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2007, 11:59:29 AM »
Mark,

'Rabbit Ears' apparently consistently only has two outer petals.  Nothing to do with split spathes, so wouldn't be doubling up on anything.  I am aware of the 'Sharlockii' group (or I am assuming it is a group, as it does appear in seedlings apparently) with the split spathe etc.  I had one of them appear in some nivalis which I bought a number of years back.  I have developed quite a good clump of it now, with the green tips to the flowers and the prominent split spathe.  I am betting it was just a random seedling in the mix.  Definitely well worth keeping it separate though!! LOL

Rob,

I am slowly getting seedlings around other varieties, but I haven't actually done any specific hybridising.  I will be potting up seedligns from around 'Sibbertoft Manor' shortly if I can find them.  That particular variety is one of my favourites, and I will be most interested to see what the seedlings may end up like.  Maybe this year I can try doing a bit of hybridisation amongst the various named varieties.  I find that the monostrictus types do tend to set seed fairly easily (which may be why Norm Collins used them so readily for his namings?  Then again, a number of those which I got from him are I think the same thing, and I am attributing that to mistakes in packaging, rather than the more sinister alternative.). 

I have never had seed set on nivalis or anything like that as far as I can tell, but I have had just a couple of seeds set on Galanthus gracilis which I have sown or sent overseas to people who don't have that species.  I have a single clone so it rarely sets seed.  I am hoping to rectify that fairly soon with my few seedlings hopefully maturing in a year or two if I am lucky.  I would be interested to try crossing it with other species to see what results, but attempts at that in the past have failed.  Definitely worthwhile thinking about hybridising this year.  Still not likely to get anything like 'Trym' though without having it somewhere in the parentage.... which is why I hope to get seed from it one day to at least try to get something similar here that hasn't been through Methyl B.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:02:39 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »
poor Galanthus are suffering badly in the garden. Most are now turning brown.

Anthony I hope you are in on Friday. Your package is ready to go in the post tomorrow

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
They're back! Narcissus flies are out 4 weeks early. They are usually hatching at the end of May.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »
Mark, I swatted my first narcissus fly of the season this afternoon. Nice forehand with my trusty old tennis racket as the little b***er was settling on a colchicum leaf. All my snowdrops leaves are shrivelling in the heat too. Seed starting to ripen about a month early too. Quite wierd to see the leaves dying back first while the seed pods and old flower stems are still green. Hopefully the bulbs made enough growth during the mild winter not to mind going dormant early. Some bulbs I just lifted for chipping seem nice and hard.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2007, 06:06:24 PM »
by coincidence my ex Narcissus flies have been hit while sitting on Colchicum leaves. So they have use after all

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2007, 07:27:55 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of a Narcissus Fly?? I wouldn't want to miss hitting one by not recognising it!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal