We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wanted: tips about literature, Andalucia/Spain  (Read 2242 times)

trondsto

Wanted: tips about literature, Andalucia/Spain
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
Hello,

A Norwegian nature enthusiast directed me to this forum because there are so many helpful members here.

We are a group from Norway who are going to the Andalucia region in southern Spain, for a week in the middle of March. We're going to use some time out in the wild (for instance, we're going to the national park, Coto Doñana). I'd like some tips from persons with knowledge about Spanish nature.

About the flora: What can we expect to see, what to search for? What is flowering in March? The same question applies to animals; mammals as well as insects, birds, reptiles...

I want to get some literature, and need tips about good handbooks for the area. Most interesting is FLORA and INSECT books; perhaps reptiles and other as well.

The books have to be of field handbook size, not too expensive, must include many species and good illustrations. The text can be (preferably) in Scandinavian or English language, or (not so preferably) in German or Spanish. Latin names of the species must be included. Both old and new books are highly interesting (as old books easily can be purchased via internet bookshops).

We would be very happy for any information on these subjects.

Regards,
Trond

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Wanted: tips about literature, Andalucia/Spain
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
Trond,
A good book which includes a chapter with a detailed description of some regions in the south of Spain is
Oleg Polunin & B.E. Smythies (1973): Flowers of South-West Europe - a field guide
Oxford University Press

More useful information you'll find at    www.nhbs.com -
Spain is found when clicking
Botany & Zoology/Geozone/Europe/South Europe & Mediterranian

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
Hi Trond,
I would suggest the Collins books as being particularly comprehensive - and portable.
Clare & I tend to carry 'Collins Pocket Guide to Alpine Flowers of Britain and Europe' for most of Europe - now out of print but possible available second hand, and another Collins book 'Mediterranean Wild Flowers' by the same authors. This is not quite so portable but I find it easier to follow than Polunin and it is currently available on Amazon (just one left!) for £25.
Another site where it is quoted is www.nhbs.com/xchange/members/fsco.html.
Their emailis : customer.services @nhbs.co.uk and if they are still there they seem less expensive.
Cheers, hope this helps a little,
JohnnyD

John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:18:44 PM »
Hello Trond
I don't know of any specific books about Andalucia but, like Johnny, mainly use the Collins books on Alpine Flowers of Britian and Europe and Wildflowers of the Mediterranean. Also, I have a paperback version of Polunin and Huxley Flowers of the Mediterranean but I believe that this is long out of print.
I assume that you are already searching the web for any information there.
Enjoy your visit.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »
Collins book 'Mediterranean Wild Flowers' by the same authors. This is not quite so portable but I find it easier to follow than Polunin and it is currently available on Amazon (just one left!) for £25.

I agree that Mediterranean Wild Flowers by Grey-Wilson and Blamey is one of the best for the area, and there is a paperback version as an alternative to the rather heavy hard back version.  However, because so many flowers in Andalucia are endemic to the area, no field guide size book is adequate.

Also, if you would like a classic book to read, look out for a slim volume called "Andalucian Flowers and Countryside" by Stocken.  It was published in the 60s and you can sometimes get hold of it secondhand.  I always take it with me when I go to the area, I've re-read it many times. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:10:59 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
I did not find Stocken's book very helpful for identification.
'Flora Iberica' is THE book but it is only slightly smaller than Encyclopedia Britannica, not cheap and not in English and I do not think that all parts have been issued yet..
I found "Claves de la Flora de Espãna" two paperbacks 700 grams each very valuable. (Editiones Mundi-Prensa)
Contains keys to over 5200 vascular species and 2000 line drawings but is in Kastilian. No photos.
The language is very limited so the eager person can use it with a dictionary.
Cataluna is my part of Spain not Andalucia so I cannot be helpful about addresses or localities.
Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
I did not find Stocken's book very helpful for identification.

Of course, it's not intended that way, it's just a good read. 
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

trondsto

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »
Thanks a lot to all of you, for excellent and fast advice! I will check out all the info you have submitted. Still, I'd be happy if anyone has something to add. Insect or other invertebrate literature is also on the wish-list, if you're not all solely botanists  ;)

Great forum,

Trond

trondsto

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
In the same line of thinking; perhaps you could direct me to a similar popular forum for enthomologists? Would love to find a good insect book.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal