We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2009  (Read 88129 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Oncos 2009
« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49:33 AM »
Hello Fred,
again a wonderful picture of a stunning plant!
Maybe you do not have to wait to long to see your next Onco in flower as you never know when season is over - just yesterday I found some more buds here... :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:10:58 AM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »
Fred,

What a beautiful picture!!  Lovely! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
This is the perfection Fred, a botanical jewel pictured very clear, with a good composition, light, depth of field, with true colors and contrast backgroud. I love this kind of studio pictures because you can see all the characters very clear, although nothing comparing to take pictures in the wild!!  :D

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »
Last one for me in the bulb frame, Iris iberica ssp. lycotis Iris acutiloba ssp. lineolata
 :'(  one year more to wait for new flowers ....
What a beauty Fred  :o
And to think you are going to see it again in only 12 months ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:20:29 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

arillady

« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2009, 08:00:28 AM »
I heard this morning that when a NZ rose friend stayed with a couple in the South East of South Australia in 2006 that the wife was growing Iris susiana. I hope to talk to the lady who might be growing this iris this evening. Seems that it would be too wet and cold down there but we can live in hope.
I will let you know what eventuates
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
Pat, that IS exciting!  Of course, we mussn't count our oncos before they germinate. ;D ::)
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

arillady

« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
Well yes Jamie.
The lady rang this evening and she thinks it was a blue and brown and can not remember dotting and veining but she has offered me one of her three plants that are in her garden.
I am not holding my breath that it will be correct as you would think she would remember the dotting and veining.
It came from someone who had grown it for years up at Balaklava which is north of here. I do know there was a clone up in that direction years ago until an old lady went into  a nursing home.
The lady has about 30 different coloured nerines and likes to collect rarer bulbs as well as grows roses. I will send her a parcel of a few aril hybrids and some Iris lactea seed in return.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
Fingers crossed Pat, that it is the right thing.  So valuable to find stuff like that.  Sounds like a nice Nerine collection as well.  I wonder what other rarer things she grows? 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
Some more pics of Josef Mayr's collection.

These are pictures of color variations of Iris acutiloba ssp. lineolata

Josef cultivates all his oncos in 80% unwashed quarz sand with about 20% of friable loam added. During the period the oncos are in growth, he fertilizes 3 times with a high potash fertilizer, like tomato fertilizer. All plants grow in an alpine house or in a cold frame, because our sommers are too wet.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:09:13 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »
Hans, Herr Mayr is obviously a very skillful gardener.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »
Pat, if you're thinking of sending aril rhizomes to NZ, DON'T. They will be destroyed on entry unless your friend has a permit to import, the rhizomes were inspected in full growth prior to export, inspected again and treated for a number od pathogens immediately prior to export and they will have to go into a registered quarantine facility for 12 months. All this could cost the recipient several thousand dollars. Iris lactea is permitted as seed (declare it on the envelope) but seed of hybrids must have the names of the species involved on the package and if any of those are not on the Bio Index, the seed will be destroyed.

Having said that, Iris susiana was certainly growing in NZ up to 3 or 4 years ago, the true species, from imports made in the 1950s and continued without a break, but rather precariously. NZIS has kept an eye on the most recent planting, in the Hakataramea Valley I think, inland South Canterbury, and in the hands of a single grower. The climate there is very hot, dry summer and cold winter. I've not seen a plant of susiana since about 1965 I think. I remember once when the Sth Canty Iris group had a display in shop windows in town, the then grower, a Mrs Dunn whose husband was a jeweller, picked half a dozen stems and displayed them in a deep and wide sterling silver trophy cup. They were magnificent.

Would you email me privately Pat, with the name of this person? I may be able to give you a little more information.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
Hans - thanks for showing this fine plants - specially first one is delicate - i supose the narrow leaves in the background are of an other plant - they would be extremly narrow for an Onco.
The red one looks like a hybrid between Iris barnumae f. protonyma and Iris acutiloba ssp. lineolata. Colour and general shape of I. barnumae f. protonyma but narrower and slightly veined Falls similar to I.a.ssp. l. - a beautiful plant!

Pat hope you will find a "correct" Iris susiana.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:29:21 AM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »
I had my wires crossed, thought it was the wife of the NZ friend who was growing susiana. Not.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »
Lesley would you be able to contact the NZ lady and get a closeup and clump photo of her Iris susiana. Gwenda might already have one.
Would be good to post it on here to see what others think.
I will be too late for bloom time when I arrive in November.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:55 AM »
I'll do my best.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal