We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2009  (Read 88161 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Oncos 2009
« Reply #450 on: August 17, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »
David,

I carry on about Regelias here all the time!

As to I. hoogiana, you seem to be doing the right things.  I find it is best to think of arils as cool-growers, that is to say, they want it dry when it is hot.  As the season cools down, they start into growth and will take quite a bit of water during their growth period.  After flowering, they will either carry their seed pods, or die back in anticipation of the coming heat.  Although I have only been growing them for a short while, they seem to respond best to excellent drainage, ample sun and a meagre soil low in organics.  The watering thing has more to do with their growth cycles.  If they are not actively growing, water will quickly rot them, just as when they are blooming and it gets very hot,  they do not want a lot of water, rather just enough to keep them going.  For the species, the entire growth cycle is pretty short, about 3 months for most followed by decline into their rest period.  In general, they are a group of Iris where less is more.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #451 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:19 PM »
  In general, they are a group of Iris where less is more.

I like your expression ! exact definition of Onco growing  ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #452 on: August 18, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »
Jamie, many thanks, it is good to know I'm on the right lines.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arillady

« Reply #453 on: August 19, 2009, 12:08:34 AM »
And David this is what a bed can look like in the middle of summer
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2009, 12:12:16 AM »
And now to add the photo and press the right spot.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »
Pat, I couldn't get a bed that dry if I dug up the floor of the dining room ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #456 on: August 19, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
Anyone growing Iris goniocarpa?  I bought a bulb from Buried Treasure (Rannveig Wallis) and am in the process of finding out more about it. I didn't know it was in Section Pseudoregelia, I should have checked before I ordered it. Now, how do I grow it please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »
You are fortunate to have the true I. goniocarpa David, as I'm sure it will be, from that source. My attemps have all turned out to be something else. I do have I. hookeriana however, another pseudoregelia and not to be confused with I. hookeri or I. setosa var hookeri, and it is quite easy to grow here in full sun in an open, well drained place with quite deep soil (as it happens). It gets no extra water other than what falls from the sky so you may need to enhance your drainage if growing it outside. It flowers somewhat sparsely I'd have to say but does give me a few leopard spotted, stemless blooms each year (a purple leopard) and then dies down totally for winter. I've just had one seed pod in 5 years and that gave me 8 seedlings.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #458 on: August 20, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
Is it on your approved species list Lesley-if so, and provided I don't kill, it the first offset is yours.

I think I shall grow it under glass and maybe treat it like I intend to treat Iris hoogiana. Dry until September, then a little water to stimulate root growth, dry again until February, and then water again. Right! Wrong?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Regelian

« Reply #459 on: August 20, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »
David,

from what little I could find about I. goniocarpa, it will take more moisture than the oncocyclus and regelia iris.  It grow high in the mountains and will probably respond well to alpine culture.  Excellent drainage, stony, but nutrient rich soils, very dry Summer, followed by moist Winters and wet Springs.  Should be fully hardy.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »
That is sweet of you David but alas, it is not on our permitted list. Even if it were, an offset would be impossible, only seed. So thank you, but no thank you.

I think Jamie is right, and it could be grown as an alpine rather than as an iris, if you see what I mean. I believe its habitat is with gentians, primulas and meconopsis etc. Perhaps a stony scree type place with plenty humus.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:05:41 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #461 on: August 21, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
Thanks Lesley and Jamie. I think I shall still pot grow it but I will subject it to the same regime I use for those of my Crocuses that like a dry summer.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #462 on: November 02, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »
Can some one help with the identification of this oncocyclus iris. Picture is taken this spring in Umm Qais, in the north of Jordan.
I think it is Iris atrofusca, but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance.

Regelian

« Reply #463 on: November 02, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »
Hendrik,

I'm no expert, but it may be I. nigricans or even I. petrana.  Both are found in Jordan, while I. atrofusca is listed from Israel.  All of these species are closely related, as with I. atropurpurea, I. jordana and I. haynei.  I tend to think they represent a super-species that has been seperated and is now verging on full speciation.  mind you, I have never had these plants for my eyes to compare, only fotos.

Hopefully, someone more aquainted with this species group will comment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:13:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #464 on: November 02, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
It is Iris haynei var.jordana or in its other name Iris jordana.
It grows also in Israel in the other side of the border south east of the Kinnereth.
Rehovot, Israel

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal