We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2009  (Read 101119 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Galanthus February 2009
« Reply #300 on: February 15, 2009, 10:20:07 PM »
I thought they were both most appropriate Maggi, and provided a most attractive addition to the pretty little church.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #301 on: February 16, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
As the sun was out and it was reasonably warm - 7c- we went back to Fullarton woods to see if the snowdrops had survived the snow and frosts.  No problem, they looked better than ever.  I took one picture from the same viewpoint as the last posting and compared them.  There now seemed to be twice as many as before.  There was one picture I could not resist, that of a wee girl picking snowdrops for her mum.  She walked through the drifts carefully and only picked one from each clump. In her pink coat and blond hair she was a picture.  I did ask her mother if I could take her picture and made sure I did not show her face.  It's sad that you have to act in this way but times have changed since I was young.

I think it was Paddy who asked me about the woods.  The area has a historic significance.  There was a 12th century Fortalice there owned by Wallace's uncle, Sir Reginald Crawford.  After a night of feasting and merriment, Wallace and Crawford went to Ayr to answer the summons of the English governor. They had forgotten the charter for peace and Wallace returned for it .  On his way back to Ayr, he found out that his uncle and the rest of the delegation had been hanged. In revenge, Wallace burned the barns of Ayr with the governor inside.  This kicked off the Independence struggle.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #302 on: February 16, 2009, 05:41:09 AM »
Great pictures Tom - Fullerton woods are looking at their best this week it seems.

A few pictures from yesterday.  I managed to convince some 'non snowdrop' friends that we should have a day out - we started the day at Goodnestone Park near Canterbury, Kent (for the 'Snowdrop and Hellebore extravaganza'   ;)) and then went for a walk in a woodland on the way home (which happened to have lots of snowdrops in it too  ;)).

(Unfortunately the snowdrops at Goodnestone Park's open day were quite behind and not at their full glory).

Regards

John

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:42:46 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #303 on: February 16, 2009, 06:58:12 AM »
What species are in the wood, TC?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »
Do you remember maybe a week ago there was a brief discussion re twin scaped Wendy's Gold? I see Anthony has one.

Anthony has three. ;D

What species are in the wood, TC?

I would imagine nivalis Mark?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Mark
As Anthony has said, they are probably nivalis although I have not bothered to check.  However, I would not be surprised if there were some different self seeded specimens amongst this lot considering the length of time the plants have been growing there.  It would have to be something really noticeable before I could see it !  However, there are some flowers that are quite a bit larger than others.  This I have assumed is just to do with growing conditions.

John
It's nice to see pictures of another snowdrop wood although it is a surprise to see our plants are well ahead of those 470 miles south !  I have to admit that I prefer to see the snowdrops in a "wild wood" as opposed to a garden setting.   Last year we went to a snowdrop garden near Portpatrick, on the Mull of Galloway.  They had quite an array of varieties and cultivars but I could not be bothered grovelling on my hands and knees to look at them.  I prefer the impact of a swathe of blooms even if they are the commonest varieties.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

vivienr

« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
  I have to admit that I prefer to see the snowdrops in a "wild wood" as opposed to a garden setting.   Last year we went to a snowdrop garden near Portpatrick, on the Mull of Galloway.  They had quite an array of varieties and cultivars but I could not be bothered grovelling on my hands and knees to look at them.  I prefer the impact of a swathe of blooms even if they are the commonest varieties.

I agree about the drifts, but I do think that the collection in the Edinburgh Botanic Garden rockery looks very good. You don't have to bend down so far to see them. I hope there will be some people taking pics at the Gala on Friday to show us!
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
It's the muddy knees that separate the galanthophiles from the crowd Tom. ;D

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
Here's one of my clumps of 'Sandersii' growing under a red Acer. Some strange goings on with the inner petals? :-\

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
Is that another twin top right?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2009, 10:23:27 PM »
I suspect not. Will check.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
I saw this snowdrop at Myddleton House on Saturday and took its picture because it seemed the inner petal lacked a notch.  I could not get very close and had to take this with my camera held at arms length but the photo seems to confirm my observation.  Is this unusual?
Almost in Scotland.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
The annual trip to Walsingham today.  Brilliant massed display in pristine condition after all the cold weather. 

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
I saw this snowdrop at Myddleton House on Saturday and took its picture because it seemed the inner petal lacked a notch.  I could not get very close and had to take this with my camera held at arms length but the photo seems to confirm my observation.  Is this unusual?
A fine snowdrop, and the lack of notch is unusual. What species Alan?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
I saw a few without notches there. Anthony there was a mixture of nivalis, elwesii, plicatus and ikariae and masses of hybrids. Did anyone buy this snowdrop? Almost yellow ovary and mark and a deep notch.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal