We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen kuznetzovii  (Read 16744 times)

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
Re: Cyclamen kuznetzovii
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
Beautiful images of C kuznetovii ( has it been given specific status or is it a variety of coum ? ), and the view labelled Lagonaki makes you want to book a flight now  :D

Ashwood nursery sells kuznetovii, and I include a pic of one I grew from the Cylamen Society seed exchange

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
I'm amazed by the price... a real bargin!!!!
Unfortunately Ashwood doesn't export overseas :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:34:32 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48:45 PM »
Thanks again Jo.  By the way I nearly fainted when I saw those shots of Cyclamen kuznetzovii at Ashwoods. I immediately reviewed my shots of their RHS booth to make sure I hadn't missed it there.

If any one is going to Ashwood with a truck let me know.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »

If any one is going to Ashwood with a truck let me know.

johnw

Oh dear, you are not inciting us to indulge in ram-raids at Ashwood :o ::) , are you, John? Though, now you mention it....... ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »
johnw 
thanks for the input, john..where did you get purpurascens? i have not found any sources for seed or plants..
i will just have to try a few types and see what happens... unfortunately i dont know anyone in my immediate area growing anything interesting, so i cant ask for tips...lol;
my winter is probably quite a bit colder than yours, and we can have some pretty deep cold before the snow comes, though once it does, it stays pretty well til spring, especially in shadier spots; this year we have lots, though nothing like the amounts they get in some eastern areas; also cold and wet are mostly two different seasons;

i notice beavercreek lists a coum from caucasus--is that the same as caucasicum?

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 03:10:58 AM »
Hi, all.
I'm in zone 3 (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) and have grown C. purpurascens outdoors since 2004 (seeds from Gardens North - thank you, Kristl!)  I've had no success with either C. hederifolium (many tries) or C. coum.  Surely C. purpurascens must take the proverbial cake for hardiness?  (Needless to say, my plants will never achieve the splendour of those in warmer climes, but I've been impressed that they've come through at least this many winters.)
Keenly interested,
Lori
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:34:08 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 06:17:21 AM »
Hi, all.
I'm in zone 3 (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) and have grown C. purpurascens outdoors since 2004 (seeds from Gardens North - thank you, Kristl!)  I've had no success with either C. hederifolium (many tries) or C. coum.  Surely C. purpurascens must take the proverbial cake for hardiness?  (Needless to say, my plants will never achieve the splendour of those in warmer climes, but I've been impressed that they've come through at least this many winters.)
Keenly interested,
Lori

Hi Lori,
Your C. purpurascens looks excellent! I would like mines were so free flowering as yours although I am gardening in a warmer climate (than you do).

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Lori your Cyclamen purpurascens look really happy in the garden. Nice long petals too cos they can be a bit stubby. 

Do they have good drainage and how much shade do they have ?

johnw

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
Hi, all.
Keenly interested,
Lori

Hi Lori,
Your C. purpurascens looks excellent! I would like mines were so free flowering as yours although I am gardening in a warmer climate (than you do).

Gerd

It would seem if you grow enough seed you will get a few with flowers as elegant as repandum.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »
johnw 
thanks for the input, john..where did you get purpurascens? i have not found any sources for seed or plants..
i will just have to try a few types and see what happens... unfortunately i dont know anyone in my immediate area growing anything interesting, so i cant ask for tips...lol;
my winter is probably quite a bit colder than yours, and we can have some pretty deep cold before the snow comes, though once it does, it stays pretty well til spring, especially in shadier spots; this year we have lots, though nothing like the amounts they get in some eastern areas; also cold and wet are mostly two different seasons;

i notice beavercreek lists a coum from caucasus--is that the same as caucasicum?

cohan

I get my seed from the Cyclamen Society. If you PM an occasional reminder I will see if I can't get you some purpurascens seeds before the ants do. I can't recall when the seed ripens and t=right now the plants are under 3" of ice so I can't check for pods.

I am informed I have plants in the g'house of coum v caucasicum. Will have to research to find out they are the same as caucasicum. One never knows how pure the seed was and they could be crossed with other regular coums unless collected wild.

johnw

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 06:27:14 AM »
Well, thank you for the compliments on the C. purpurascens... perhaps they are not quite so inferior as I naturally assumed, LOL!

Jo, due our dry climate here (~16" annual precipitation), it's not so hard to achieve adequate drainage.  (Soil quality is vile, admittedly (wretched clay), but even so, with a bit of slope, it's overall quite forgiving... which probably sounds quite insane, but it's true... a surprising number of the less-picky alpines will grow in regular soil here.)  Anyway, one plant is in 18" of compost (an old tender rose bed, which also seems to suit lavender quite well - go figure), the other in unimproved clay with bark mulch overtop (and whatever thin leaf mould has collected over the years); both in part shade.  (Yes, there is only the two, plus whatever seedlings may have arisen right around them.) 

Thank you for the encouragement too re. seeds, Gerd... I'll have to try to beat the ants, for once, and see what results I get!

Does anyone have a direct comparison, for hardiness, between C. purpurascens and C. kuznetovii?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:29:35 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: hardiest cyclamens, was>>>Cyclamen kuznetzovii
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »
Well, thank you for the compliments on the C. purpurascens... perhaps they are not quite so inferior as I naturally assumed, LOL!
Does anyone have a direct comparison, for hardiness, between C. purpurascens and C. kuznetovii?

glad to see your input here, lori, though i am disappointed to hear you finally decided the coum and hederifolium  have failed :( perhaps i will have to think of them only for pots to be wintered somewhere protected..
i will still keep watching for purpurascens.... i dont understand why its not availalbe in canada if its the hardiest?? is it harder/slower from seed than the others?

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »
johnw 
I get my seed from the Cyclamen Society. If you PM an occasional reminder I will see if I can't get you some purpurascens seeds before the ants do. I can't recall when the seed ripens and t=right now the plants are under 3" of ice so I can't check for pods.

I am informed I have plants in the g'house of coum v caucasicum. Will have to research to find out they are the same as caucasicum. One never knows how pure the seed was and they could be crossed with other regular coums unless collected wild.
johnw
thanks again, john

hope your 3" of ice goes away soon--that sounded like a really dreadful storm! everything here is under probably 18" of snow, less under some trees..it should be settling a bit in next few warmish days, but i dont expect it to be gone anytime soon..

Yuri Pirogov

• Irisaholic
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
Yes. C. caucasicum can be described as C. coum ssp caucasicum or C. vernum ssp caucasicum. But I think its hardiness can vary. Coastal area of south macroslope is in zone 9 while north macroslope at high elevation is in zone 4 or even 3.
Because coastal area is a lot more easy to access, coastal cyclamens are widespread.
Yuri in Moscow

johnw

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
Yuri - Thanks you for the information. Can you recommend specific areas for us to watch for caucasicum seed collections? If too many to list perhaps I could PM you what's available on the next Cyclamen Society list to see if they are from very cold areas, hopefully with little snow cover. Would that be okay?

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal