We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen kuznetzovii  (Read 16764 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Cyclamen kuznetzovii
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:45:12 AM »
As mentioned before, after reading Janis Ruksans' account of Cyclamen kuznetzovii and its superior hardiness I have been chasing it down.  Janis mentioned Sahins had it so I wrote to them. Unfortunately all of their stock plants was sold!

As Cyclamen coum is not reliably hardy here I thought this was a very important species to get for Nova Scotia.  We have tried Ellen Hornig's hardy strain of coum without long term success.  I often wonder how she tested for cold hardiness when she is in the snowbelt of New York State.

With luck I got seed from the Cyclamen Society a couple of months ago. Now this seed may be crossed with tender coums but it is better than nothing,  Two seeds of about 30 or more have sprouted in the last month. They are plain green, which is fine by me. Janis mentions his kuznetzovii seed took several years to sprout.

I'm wondering if any forumists are growing kuznetzovii and/or have seen photos of this species' leaves or flowers?

Hopefully pure kuznetzovii will appear in the future.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Cyclamen kuznetzovii
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:43:48 AM »
John

I grew it several years ago - the leaves were plain green.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »
Janis sells it, this year too - can't you import from him?

I got one last year - leaves are quite drab but there is a pattern. No flowers yet. I haven't challenged it on the hardiness front.

Alex

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »
As mentioned before, after reading Janis Ruksans' account of Cyclamen kuznetzovii and its superior hardiness I have been chasing it down.  Janis mentioned Sahins had it so I wrote to them. Unfortunately all of their stock plants was sold!

As Cyclamen coum is not reliably hardy here I thought this was a very important species to get for Nova Scotia.  We have tried Ellen Hornig's hardy strain of coum without long term success.  I often wonder how she tested for cold hardiness when she is in the snowbelt of New York State.

With luck I got seed from the Cyclamen Society a couple of months ago. Now this seed may be crossed with tender coums but it is better than nothing,  Two seeds of about 30 or more have sprouted in the last month. They are plain green, which is fine by me. Janis mentions his kuznetzovii seed took several years to sprout.

I'm wondering if any forumists are growing kuznetzovii and/or have seen photos of this species' leaves or flowers?

Hopefully pure kuznetzovii will appear in the future.

johnw
Picture of kuznetzowii in wild, background Galanthus plicatus.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »
Sorry, Forget to note that author of pictures is Dmitriy Zubov from Ukraina (he is on third picture here). All maid in nature, in Crimea.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

johnw

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
John

I grew it several years ago - the leaves were plain green.

Arthur  - Thanks for the note. There are no marking yet but we will wait for them.

Alex - We will have to get an permit for Janis and hope a SITES can be issued.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »
Sorry, Forget to note that author of pictures is Dmitriy Zubov from Ukraina (he is on third picture here). All maid in nature, in Crimea.
Janis

Janis       - Thanks for the pictures of kuznetzovii, it's a charming one and we hope it will be hardy here.

How long have you grown it outdoors? While your lowest temperature may be lower than here we do get a real winter and it stays cold.

As we have a much wetter climate I wonder if the beech trees keep these kuznetzoviis from becoming too wet. They are fantastic drinkers.

Also good to see G. plicatus growing nearby.  We will write to you about placing an order when the permit arrives.

johnw

Yuri Pirogov

• Irisaholic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »
I'm not sure Cyclamen kuznetzovii is the most hardy cyclamen. Growing in the beach forests it is protected by mountains from the cold north winds. There are a lot more severe areas on the North macroslope of Caucasus. For example these photos taken 29 Avril while Dmitry's photos - 10 March, almost two month earlier.
Yuri in Moscow

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »
Yuri, I do like your photo of Lagonaki...... such drama in the sky.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »
Thank you Yuri.  It's fascinating to see clear pics of these cyclamen in the wild.  
The coum group is hard to make sense of without the benefit of field observations :-\
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:50:23 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:29:30 AM »
this is the first i have heard of this  species, and i'm very interested;
what is the presumed hardiness of this species?
janis, do you have a link to your list?

john, there is a person in calgary (i know she's on alpineL, havent seen her here) growing both coum and hederifolium, i think she'd found them hardy, BUT  not sure how many year's she's had them..
she also mentioned C purpurascens as being even hardier, confirmed on cyclamen society website, but i have not found any source for that species..

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
Yuri,

As Ashley said, it is great to see this ssp in its natural habitat, great photos!!!
can you give some information about the altitudes?
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Yuri Pirogov

• Irisaholic
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
About 1900 m
Yuri in Moscow

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
About 1900 m

beautiful images, yuri!
any idea on maximim low temperatures in this area?
beavercreek greenhouse in british columbia refers to C hederifolium as hardiest, with success in zone 3 alberta gardens, and considers coum similar....

johnw

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:49:17 PM »
Yuri - Thanks for the very interesting information, I'll check my records to see if I have any pots of caucasicum growing otherwise I'll search for it.  Still I hope kuznetzovii will work here long term.

cohan - I think Beavercreek pulls some zones out of a hat. I planted hederifolium in the early 1970's and they spread all through the yard, even in the lawn and some even sprouted in front of the house vias ants. Many were almost white but the originals were pink. In 1990 we had a very dry cold snowless winter but it never went below -16c and every hederifolium was killed. About 7 years later one huge leaf  - as big as Rachmaninov's left hand - emerged from the ground in the vicinity of the oldest bulb. Several years ago I decided to dig it up and of course the spade went straight through corm which was even bigger than the leaf.  The half with the newly formed floral stalk survived.

The coums never last more than 2-3 years with me, not even ones from Ellen Hornig in upper NY state and these are reputed to be super hardy selections. She gets lake-effect snow so her Zone 4/5 really doesn't say much about true hardiness.

cilicium and repandum managed maybe a year or so longer than the coums.

As you say europeum, now purpurascens, is rock hardy and have never lost a one save for the ocassional weevil attack.

johnw 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal