We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife early 2009  (Read 55667 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Wildlife early 2009
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2009, 08:23:40 AM »
Robin,

Cute frog!!  ;D

Here's a few recent pics from my neck of the woods.....

A green "swallowtail" type butterfly (no idea what it actually is) taht has part of the left wing missing.  Not sure how much longer for this world that particular butterfly was.

A couple of pics of one of the Swamp Wallabies at the ANBG.  They rarely stick around long enough for a picture, usually darting off as soon as they see you.  It was fairly early morning in poor light and at a distance, so not great pics, but they show the difference to the Kangaroos I have posted before. 

Lastly, a tiny spider that at first glance I thought was a tick (but we don't get ticks up here usually), but it definitely produced web and could hang from it and "reel it in" as needed.  Very small, but rather interesting.

Paul, the tiny spider on your hand looks as if it might start another web on you any minute!   ;D

Would love to see more of your artistic spider web shots
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »
wildlife in the mountains and the valley today that I could hear long before I could place them!  :)
Your frog could be an 'edible frog' (Rana esculenta, but there are two similar species found in Switzerland: the 'pool frog' (R. lessonae) and the 'marsh frog' (R. ridibunda). If its call sounds like 'redit', then it could be a 'library frog', which mimics the called of the 'lowly book worm'. ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »
wildlife in the mountains and the valley today that I could hear long before I could place them!  :)
Your frog could be an 'edible frog' (Rana esculenta, but there are two similar species found in Switzerland: the 'pool frog' (R. lessonae) and the 'marsh frog' (R. ridibunda). If its call sounds like 'redit', then it could be a 'library frog', which mimics the called of the 'lowly book worm'. ;)

It was very, very loud and I suppose it could be like 'redit' but lots of redits trying to out redit each other!  I shall see if I can find out the green frog's name because I have never seen one so incredibly green like the spring lily pads - it was in a jardin botanique (St Triphon) which is privately owned in a micro climate in the valley.  I took some other photos but things were only just getting going or just over...I want to go back  :)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »
Anthony - you omitted to add that, during the mating season, the call of the male 'library frog' changes & sounds rather like 'ovadue'.   
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »
Definitely a fine specimen, whatever it is?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
Anthony - you omitted to add that, during the mating season, the call of the male 'library frog' changes & sounds rather like 'ovadue'.   

followed by the clearly spoken words, "that will be a dollar please."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
More like 37p, or some other ludicrously obscure sum based on the number of nanoseconds the book has been overdue! ::)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2009, 09:59:29 AM »
Heard the first 'cuckoo' and all the birds are very vocal now as well...

This one looks a bit like the Redstart I posted before but much lighter - is it a female?  It is not at all afraid and bobs up and down rather like a Dipper.  :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2009, 03:32:29 AM »
More like 37p, or some other ludicrously obscure sum based on the number of nanoseconds the book has been overdue! ::)

We in NZ have discarded all our small coins and the largest value we still have is 10 cents, supposed to be equivilent to the old sixpence but probably worth a quarter farthing if the truth be known. Groceries are still at prices ending in 6-9 cents so are "rounded" up to the next 10c, and invidious and insidious system which robbs customers of millions each year.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2009, 05:10:38 AM »
Lesley,

The smallest we have here is 5c, with the rounding etc.  Didn't realised you now had the smallest as 10c.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »
Our smallest is a penny, which is the same size as an old farthing, last minted in 1954 and probably worth the equivalent of 10p now. I have an Edward I (i.e. pre 1306) silver penny. It was worth £24 then and is still worth that on Ebay. Goodness knows how you spent it as the only way to get change was to cut it into halves and quarters!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
Well Anthony you could spend the lot on an Ebay Galanthus and thus cut out any middle men.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »
Need I say more...I'm keeping a close eye on what this one prefers to munch  :o

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »
Robin,

I saw these snails when in Switzerland last summer. They are huge and certainly would not be welcome in the garden.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
Robin,

I saw these snails when in Switzerland last summer. They are huge and certainly would not be welcome in the garden.

Paddy
Nor mine...they aren't even very attractive but there are so many snails and slugs I have to find a way of living in harmony  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal