We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife early 2009  (Read 54353 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Wildlife early 2009
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2009, 10:06:55 AM »
Here's one for the Butterfly fans, seeing this bought back my youth, much of which was spent running around the fields of Shropshire, catching butterflies and Dragonflies with a very large net,which was made out of net curtains crafted by a very tolerant and helpful Mum! ( p.s.. the crayfish, injured birds, snakes and lizards were an added bonus! )
Iphiclides podalirius - Scarce Swallowtail

I am thrilled to a see a fabulous photo of this butterfly from your garden Hristo - the day before I saw it fluttering by the river Rhone and was transfixed as it looked just like a miniature fan every time it fluttered its wings.  I rushed home and found what it was on the web and now I can see it spread out in all its beauty instead of as a tiny thing taken on the iphone!!!!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Hristo

« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
Cheers RR, the little boy in me had to resisit the urge to try and catch it! I hasten to add as a child I caught them, looked at them and let them go, the one time my Dad and I tried to 'gas' a butterfly to pin it, we both felt like murderers, opened the jar and let the butterfly go. Maybe they are better for being glimpsed only, or caught on film ,or painted by an artist!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
Chris,
what an excellent shot of a Scarce Swallowtail  8) 8) 8)
So rare here - only to find in mild climates north of the alps - .
Best wishes
Armin

ruweiss

« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »
The  rooms in the bee-hotels are now almost fully occupied. The insects like the holes
in the wooden logs, but prefer those of the bamboo canes. As the woodpeckers
also prefer the larvae of the bees I had to put on the mesh wire around the cans.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2009, 01:11:30 AM »
The  rooms in the bee-hotels are now almost fully occupied. The insects like the holes
also prefer the larvae of the bees I had to put on the mesh wire around the cans.

thats neat! we have lots of bees here, and also lots of natural habitat/nesting sites, so i dont need to do these..just as well, i'd rather not get that close....lol

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #335 on: May 08, 2009, 04:30:46 AM »
Great pics everyone.  Love the bee hotels, the buterflies, and that glorious grouse!!  Thanks so much.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #336 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »
Rudi,
I'm pleased to see there is another solitary bee friend. ;) Fortunate, I got no problems with woodpeckers sofar.
Best wishes
Armin

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #337 on: May 08, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »

thats neat! we have lots of bees here, and also lots of natural habitat/nesting sites, so i dont need to do these..just as well, i'd rather not get that close....lol
These bees are solitary and harmless. They don't bother people at all.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #338 on: May 08, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
Found a lily beetle this morning on a pot of seedling Nomocharis. It is no more!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #339 on: May 08, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »
Found a lily beetle this morning on a pot of seedling Nomocharis. It is no more!

Well done David - you are a real animal protection advocat! I love this little colorful  beetles too - did you destroy the whole pot of seedlings?   ;D ;D ;D

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #340 on: May 08, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »
Still got the seedlings Gerd. Should I dump them? They are in their second growth year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #341 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
Still got the seedlings Gerd. Should I dump them? They are in their second growth year.
I would sink the pot into a deep container of tepid water so that the surface is under water. Leave it a few days for any grubs to drown.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #342 on: May 08, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
Thanks Anthony, will do.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #343 on: May 08, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »
]These bees are solitary and harmless. They don't bother people at all.
i'll have to look them up--i was wondering about the hotel--thought they must not be hiving bees, but i dont know anything about the solitary sort..
of course, other than killer bees, most of the others are relatively harmless too, as long as you are not allergic, which i'm not, luckily--have been stung enough times over the years; most of the childhood panic is gone around them now..lol--i can get close enough to take photos when they are busy in flowers, but still prefer not to have them buzzing around and around as they sometimes do ;)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #344 on: May 08, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Solitary bees don't sting unless you handle on them, and even then, they are generally reluctant.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal