We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife early 2009  (Read 55178 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wildlife early 2009
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
Stephen, I am envious of your range of feathered visitors!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »
We get great tits, blue tits and coal tits regularly in the garden. The last hides sunflower seeds and peanuts in crevices all over and they occasionally nest in holes in the rockery wall. We are trying to tempt the other two to nest by putting up boxes. We only get the long tail tits passing through.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
can I have an identity for this insect enjoying the sun in the garden today. It is about 1cm long in the body and 1.5cm across the wings with a long proboscis
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
Looks like Bombylius major, common name Bee-fly. It's actually a fly not a bee, or at least that's what my identification guide says (looks like a bee to me  ;D )

Peter
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
thanks Peter ,I googled it and got a super picture, you got it spot on.

I have not seen one before and its a lovely thing to see.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

vivienr

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
like a bee to me  ;D )

There are hundreds of flies that pretend to be bees and wasps because predators think twice about attacking them - and while they are thinking the fly can escape.The long thin legs of the flies are an easy way to tell them apart. I think that the Narcissus/bulb fly is also a bee mimic so they are worth checking out :)
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Wildlife 2009
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
However, it's a bit worrying that I'm now hearing my first Robins (and Wrens) 3-4 weeks earlier than when I first started noting this. In the 1980s, around 10th April was normal, nowadays mid-March. Increasingly a few are overwintering and I think that within a few years these species along with Blackbirds, Bramblings and Chaffinches and a few others will be common here in winter.

last year, we had a few robins and a closely related thrush(name is escaping me now) and then we had some cold weather and fairly heavy snow that left them with nowhere to feed; a couple were hanging around the house (a bit risky with cats around) and i had to try to find something they would eat, i forget exact results now, i should have kept notes, but i think i had some success with apple/orange and raisins..hopefully this year they have better timing, there are serious risks associated with coming too early--we could have good weather, and it could go bad very fast!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »
Our robin is quite different from yours, being half the size. Mary Poppins got it soooo wrong. ::)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2009, 05:31:29 AM »
Our robin is quite different from yours, being half the size. Mary Poppins got it soooo wrong. ::)

i looked up the photos, (but not the name, have to find the bird book..) and  found a couple of really crappy shots taken through the window, from last year, late april; here is a poor thrush forlornly poking at some bit of food in front of the door, and a robin on an improvised water dish with indoor cacti looking on...the several days of snow and cold left these early arrived birds in a difficult place, unable to feed or find water...

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
Varied thrush in the first pic... they, and even the robins, probably don't need too awful much sympathy.  Varied thrushes winter on the west coast and in the coastal ranges, so they get their share of miserable weather and are well adapted to it.  Robins show up on the Christmas bird counts in every major city across Canada (as small wintering populations) and feed on dried fruit in the winters anyway.    It is hard not to be concerned when you actually see what we think of as "summer residents" out in the snow, but it is, presumably, perfectly normal for them, given the records through time of their migration periods.  (They are doing what they normally do and have always done; the only difference is that we are noticing them... if you see what I'm saying.)   :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:08:47 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
Varied thrush in the first pic... they, and even the robins, probably don't need too awful much sympathy.    (They are doing what they normally do and have always done; the only difference is that we are noticing them... if you see what I'm saying.)   :)
tks for the id...my bird book is buried somewhere...lol
i wouldnt have felt sorry for these birds simply being in the snow, except that they looked so forlorn--they just hung around in front of the house where there was a tiny strip of bare ground--and i didnt see them foraging or doing anything other than sit puffed up and looking miserable... they were also hanging around the feeders a bit, probably because they saw the other birds, but also didnt show any sign of eating there...
probably in the city there would be more fruits over winter, and bare earth--here every bush is stripped of berries etc completely, usually before the first lasting snowfall! the only exception is rosehips, which someone must eat, but dont seem as popular...i want to get more things planted for berries and seeds for the birds (there are lots of naturally occurring things, but again, they are all eaten up early!)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 04:41:04 PM »
Here's 10 birds never to be missed!

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
You'll just have to take it up with "Mother Nature" then, Cohan.  :)  The timing of migrations seems to have been established long before city plantings are likely to have made an impact... and if city plantings made an overwhelming difference, then why would the early migrants not just stay safe in the cities until April?  They don't because they never have; it is simply not part of their hard-wired migration instinct.   Presumably, a return in mid-March for the early migrants (such as robins) must have benefits that outweigh the possible risks, e.g. establishment of breeding territories.  Anyway, it doesn't seem that nature generally uses strategies that are suicidal, at any rate.   The early migration of robins doesn't seem to have done them harm, in the overall sense - they are an incredibly successful species.   

Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »
Anthony your birds are discussing a territory boundry dispute
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »
Anthony your birds are discussing a territory boundry dispute
I sympathise with them...... flippin' neighbours!! :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal