We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife early 2009  (Read 55544 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Wildlife early 2009
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »
Howdy All,

No idea whether we want a separate topic for Southern Hemisphere wildlife of not, but if we do then feel free to separate this off into a new topic....

A couple of pics taken recently with my new camera.  My old one couldn't have got these nearly as well......

I found this adorably cute little bee huddled (that is the only word for it) on a Crowea exalata in flower in my garden.  The whole bee would only be around 1cm long, and it was just so cute!  ;D  The shrinking of the photos has unfortunately lost a fair bit of the clarity of the originals, but I think you should still be able to see most of the details.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2009, 01:04:38 AM »
And another teeny tiny individual.....

I think this is one of our little "jumping spiders".  This is on the washing line.  She started out with just a few strands along the line but now has a proper nest built on the underside of the line.  It measures about 4 inches or so long from tip to tip, and we assume it encloses eggs somewhere in there.  We think we can see them, but are not entirely sure as there are lots of little insects caught in the outside (or are the little fluffy things something she produces?).  She herself is only about 1cm long and, like the bee, is adorably cute.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:06:34 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:05 AM »
Yesterday I brought washing in before it was fully dry, as it began to rain. Perfect morning today so out it went again and apparently I had brought in a red admiral butterfly as well, on a pair of my knickers. When I hung them out, the butterfly sat for a few minutes while I fetched my camera then opened beautifully in the sun. Went to take another pic but it was gone already. I have severely cropped this picture in order not to offend (they are working knickers, not lacy, out for the evening knickers) and I promise not to make a habit of showing my underwear on the Forum.

118330-0
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
paul, that spider does look like  quite a character; i sometimes have jumping spiders on my plants on the windowsill..
lesley, thanks for showing us your, err... butterfly! nice that it survived the trip in with the washing..

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:17 AM »
Yesterday I brought washing in before it was fully dry, as it began to rain. Perfect morning today so out it went again and apparently I had brought in a red admiral butterfly as well, on a pair of my knickers. When I hung them out, the butterfly sat for a few minutes while I fetched my camera then opened beautifully in the sun. Went to take another pic but it was gone already. I have severely cropped this picture in order not to offend (they are working knickers, not lacy, out for the evening knickers) and I promise not to make a habit of showing my underwear on the Forum.

(Attachment Link)
This a hilarious posting, Lesley, it just made my morning and you captured the shot of the recovering butterfly admirably!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
Howdy All,

No idea whether we want a separate topic for Southern Hemisphere wildlife of not, but if we do then feel free to separate this off into a new topic....

A couple of pics taken recently with my new camera.  My old one couldn't have got these nearly as well......

I found this adorably cute little bee huddled (that is the only word for it) on a Crowea exalata in flower in my garden.  The whole bee would only be around 1cm long, and it was just so cute!  ;D  The shrinking of the photos has unfortunately lost a fair bit of the clarity of the originals, but I think you should still be able to see most of the details.

Enjoy.

And I certainly am....this mini bee looks as if it is doing a ballet dance pirouetting in your flower! 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:16:43 AM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:14 AM »
I do like jumping spiders, you'll have to try and catch the hatching! I wonder what your tiny bee (I think it's a wasp) was doing sitting there? Maybe the flower was acting as a parabolic dish and focussing the sun's warmth on that spot? Maybe it was just showing off.  ;D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »
Anne,

You could indeed be right, as it does have a significant "waist" to it doesn't it?  I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it.  Maybe one of our insect experts can shed some light on what it is?  If it IS a wasp, then it is a bee mimic I am assuming?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »

(Attachment Link)

Thought I'd strayed into the 'wrong' part of the Internet :o
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
Etta, my female panther chameleon, has just laid 15 eggs. Now the tricky bit of incubating the eggs for 6 - 9 months at 28oC!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2009, 10:18:37 AM »
Six to nine months at that temperature..... that will be a challenge. And quite a lot of shillings for the meter  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
Congratulations, Anthony - how about a picture of the proud parent?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:23 AM »
Congrats Anthony!!  Very cool.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2009, 11:50:20 AM »
I have an environmental chamber in my classroom with a green tree python in it. Temperature kept at 28oC. My back-up is a decomissioned baby incubator bought for £25 from Falkirk Royal Infirmary about 25 years ago. I'll check my pics folders at home as I don't have my camera at school. She mated with Sundance on 12th March.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »
Here's a link to Etta the female panther chameleon and Ringo my male Green Tree Python.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2692.msg66015#msg66015

Here is a link to Sundance - scroll down and check the thrid chameleon pic. Butch was supposed to be a female so I sent him back in exchange for Etta.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1052.msg43304#msg43304
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:56:03 AM by Anthony Darby »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal