We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2009  (Read 28383 times)

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
Re: Paeonia 2009
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
Pat

The natural habitat is a north facing Mediterranean scrub with low tree [ mainly oak].
Rich humid soil with plenty of leafmould and organic matter.
It grows only above 800m meaning that it needs at least 3 months of  night temperatures just above 0c.

Full sun or light shade and a few years to establish.

By the way these conditions are similar to all the Peonies from the Mediterranean.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:49:22 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 07:10:22 AM »
The first Paeonia in a greenhouse

Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
.... and a very nice one too Hans.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arillady

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
Oron,
When some of my oak trees grow some more and create humousy soil under them I will think about Paeonies
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »
Pat, what are winter temperatures like in your area?
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 11:43:01 AM »
Pat,

Paeonies do brilliantly here, so what is the problem with your area?  Not cold enough?  They can grow out in full blazing sun here, in poor soil, and still do very well (the tree paeonies in particular), so I am unsure why they won't do well for you?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
Pat, Paeonia mascula var russii was growing in light shade under deciduous trees at Olinda in Victoria when I was there last year. Marcus Harvey does it well in Tasmania too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:03:30 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »
Oh. Lesley, what a fab flower  8) Such delicate shading and a great pic, thanks! I adore peonies  8) 8)
please pass on Aberdeen best wishes to Roger for a grand birthday ..... Cheers, Roger!  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
Hi Lesley ,

I agree this is really a nice plant and a beautiful pic .....but I dont believe it is a P. mascula v. russoi ....

On my travels on the mediterranean islands I have seen a lot of this peonies ( Sardinia, Sicily,Corsica ) but they look different ...
The color of the flower looks more like a P. mascula v. hellenica - the leaves looks also not like P. russoi leaves ....
Could you maybe please make a pic of the leaves later ?
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 10:01:57 PM »
Thanks Hans, you may be quite right as Marcus gave me seeds from both vars and I may have got them mixed - or he may have. :) Either way, they are just first year seedlings so I can't do the leaves for you for some time. This picture was taken near Otto's house, in Victoria, Australia.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »
If it would be helpful Hans, I may have a bigger pic than this, showing more foliage. I think I cropped this one for the Forum. Just a minute.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
Lesley - yes this would be a help !

Here are some pics ( from last year ):
P. masc. ssp. hellenica
P. masc. ssp. russoi
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

arillady

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:45 AM »
Oron winter temps can go down to about -7C and summer temps to 43+C with bare paddocks in summer apart from the house garden. I grow the arils and most of the iris species up the hill further. We get plenty of frosts if it is going to be a dry year in autumn and spring.
On the alkaline side of the scale and more alkaline where the bore water has been been used over the 30+ years we have been here.
I use rainwater for potted plants but sometimes have to use some bore between waterings with rainwater. I have two paeony in the shade house that struggle through summer - some summer sun can come in during the day and the leaves burn.
Just checked both - both have new red buds on the seeming dead stems - one says osteri(?) and the other is from an old garden that was being demolished. It was growing well in the south facing garden bed nearest the house.  Yes I have seen some in full sun up in the hills more.
If anyone would like to send me any seeds to try I will never say no. It is a genus that I would like to grow more of if I can master their requirements.
Happy Easter all.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 01:32:03 AM »
Pat,

I can't see why they'd be a problem for you, particularly as you already have the alkaline soil that they seem to prefer.  I would think that either the herbaceous or the tree types should do well for you.  We used to have a collector here who grew hers out in full sun, without any problem at all.  They might toast a bit in summer, but then the extra few degrees maximum in summer might just be enough to cause more damage?  The ones of mine that do better for me to be honest are those that are out in full sun, not those in some shade.  Have you got the good old "Destiny" (white, with dark rockii flares)?  It is one of those that could be a good one to try out in the open to see how it goes?  I can probably get a piece for you off mine if you are wanting to try it?

Added a short while later : I've sent you an email to your hotmail account re the Paeonia 'Destiny' and one other that I can hopefully share during dormancy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:57:32 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
Hi all,

Paeonia mairei is the first peony to flower and it seeds around abundantly in our garden.

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal