We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2009  (Read 28736 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Paeonia 2009
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2009, 05:03:04 PM »
Probably my absolute favourite herbacious Paeonia, 'Claire de Lune'.  Simply beautiful.

After a rainy walk in the forest your photo lifted my spirits, Jamie, it is absolutely beautiful - like a full moon! Thank you for posting 'Claire do Lune'  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:07:02 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »
One from today in the woodland garden- Tiny Tim complete with crutch- Paeonia banatica (ex Hungary from Phedar Nursery)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Sinchets

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Flowering today- Paeonia obovata (?)
Simon

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »
Flowering today- Paeonia obovata (?)

I think not. My own P. obovata alba is in flower and I took a hard look at it an hour ago. Both the foliage and the form of the flower are quite different from yours. Perhaps you have a hybrid of P. mlokosewitschii & P. officinalis, or something along those lines.

I have some supposed P. mloko. here grown from exchange seed years ago. They show slight signs of hybridity in that they have a slight reddish staining of the normally-yellow flower color. Yours look like they're even more hybrid.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:39 PM »
I wondered about that too. There is certainly some yellow in there and like yours Rodger, my mlok seedlings from a seed exchange have some pink in them. Definitely hybrids.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2009, 11:24:59 PM »
I wondered about that too. There is certainly some yellow in there and like yours Rodger, my mlok seedlings from a seed exchange have some pink in them. Definitely hybrids.   

I thought there was some doubt about this.  Is the type form of P mlokosewitchii actually yellow?  I have read somewhere that the familiar yellow form is an old selection and that all our garden forms derive from this.  So pink is a possible colour for the species.  Can anyone confirm or dispute this?  Who has seen it in the wild?
Here's mine doing nicely at the moment
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2009, 03:12:54 AM »
 Hong and Zhou's "Paeonia in the Caucasus" is a great read for anyone that loves species Paeonia. Although most may not agree with his conclusions that the following are all subspecies of daurica; coriifolia, wittmanniana, mlokosewitschii, macrophylla and tomentosa, they found clinal variation and that petal color was polymorphic between and within populations. They even have a photo of P. daurica (pink) next to P. daurica (ssp.mloko-yellow) and variations between the two. The types of P. mlokosewitschii and P. lagodechiana both came from Lagodekhi.

Even if they are the same entity the geographic ranges of the subspecies do not overlap much from what I remember and they appear different and distinct in the garden.

Aaron Floden
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
Here a shots of what I grow as P. x chamaeleon and P. mlokosewiczii.  The former isconsdiered a hybrid of mlokosewiczii x caucasica, but I am not covinced of the parentage.  All are diploids with 2n=10.  Without flowers, the difference in the leaves is minimal, but distinct enough to seperate them, as with most of this closely related group.  Again, we come back to the question of what is a species?  Clearly, these paeonies are still evolving and hybrid populations exist in the wild.  Most fit the definition of a sub-species, that of being seperated genetically via a physical barrier (mountains), yet interfertile with hybrid populations in the wilds.  They seem to build a gradient.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Sinchets

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks guys- I bought the obovata from a seed exchange and when it flowered it didn't quite look right to me- I am very happy if they are P.mlokosowetchii, or forms, as I have wanted some of them for a while. As I was saying to Hans a few ages back, most of my Paeonies are from seed exchange seed sown in 2004 and some are flowering now for the first time. I was praying they weren't just going to be double forms of P.lactiflora  ;)
Simon

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:59 AM »
I have seen a reddish shoot of a otherwise yellow mlokosewitschii having the "same flowersize and foliage" to the untrained eye, in the botanical garden in Lund, Sweden. Many in Sweden say that the offspring of mlokosewitschii more often then not is pinkish. (might be due to garden hybridization as well). This is the garden report have not seen them in the wild.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Sinchets

« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »
I agree with Jamie as to the question of just what makes a species. I also agree with Diane that some literature on particular species is often heavily biased towards plants that are currently in cultivation, which may have originally in the mists of time all been propagated from one wild plant.
I would like to point out, that I was not implying my post was of P.obovata, hence the question mark after its name. I am always happy to receive more information from people who have been growing these plants longer than I have.
Simon
Simon

Sinchets

« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »
More Paeonies from seed. All names as listed on seed packets.
P. mascula arietina
P. officinalis banatica
a different P. obovata from the same source. I now know this is probably a hybrid.
Simon

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:16 AM »
Great photos everyone.  Nice to see some familiar to me (I used to grow chameleon but lost it one wet winter) and some I've not grown but want to (mlokosowetchii).  What is there not to like about Paeonia!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2009, 09:42:32 AM »
Simon nice plants but there was no double lactiflora among them. Better luck next time ::) :P :-*
Sometimes the bees are faster than the grower in making seeds so hybridization is part of the game unless there has been very controlled conditions. When the plants are as nice as Yours most gardeners (including me) would be very happy for the nice Yellow You had. In Sweden they would call it mlokosowetchii (maybe hybrid of but not sure) as it is "the most desirable" amongst "normal" gardeners and Yours has a nice yellow.
Well done
Joakim

Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Sinchets

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
I agree Joakim- some lovely plants have grown from the seed I bought. If any double P.lactiflora turn up I will let you know  ;)
Simon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal