We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2009  (Read 28458 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Paeonia 2009
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
Robin, that is beautiful and so early flowering! And exciting too, because of seeding around  8)
Looking at the picture, does it grow on a light shady spot?
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 10:17:43 PM »
Unfortunately I DIDN'T crop the picture Hans, that's as big as the original which I simply resized, so I can't show the foliage better.

And when I think about it, I'm a little mixed up anyway. The picture I posted was not of my own plant (mine are still in their first growth seedlings) but belongs to a Victorian gardener, near Otto's house. It is being grown there, and in a NSW garden I visited, as P. mascula ssp. russii, so if there is a mistake, it is theirs, not mine. Marcus Harvey gave me seeds under the names P. m. russii and P. m. hellenica. so I hope one of them turns out to be this delicately pink plant.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 11:34:01 PM »
Robin,

The P. mairei is glorious.  Being so early is an added benefit.  Good colour and shape to it as well.  One I haven't come across before, so thanks for the education.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
Unfortunately I DIDN'T crop the picture Hans, that's as big as the original which I simply resized, so I can't show the foliage better.

And when I think about it, I'm a little mixed up anyway. The picture I posted was not of my own plant (mine are still in their first growth seedlings) but belongs to a Victorian gardener, near Otto's house. It is being grown there, and in a NSW garden I visited, as P. mascula ssp. russii, so if there is a mistake, it is theirs, not mine. Marcus Harvey gave me seeds under the names P. m. russii and P. m. hellenica. so I hope one of them turns out to be this delicately pink plant.

Lesley ,

no problem ....
I will post later pics of leaves from both plants ...
It is easier distinguish from the leaves - also it is easy from the seeds - they are really different .
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
Hi all,

Paeonia mairei is the first peony to flower and it seeds around abundantly in our garden.

Robin

Hi Robin ,

It is interesting what you write with P. mairei - I grow these plants since many years and they are here also always one of the first ....but I had never any frutis or seeds on them ( I have two different clones from different sources ) -OK - I have never hand pollinate it ...but they grows side by side ....

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
Lesley ,

here now some pics from the garden today ( a pic says always more than 1000 words ) :

123644-0
here the typical glossy leaves of P.russoi - the leaves are sometimes with and sometimes without hairs on the backside
123646-1
here the typical red stems of P.russoi
123648-2
here a flowering plant of P. russoi

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »
here now P.mascula hellenica :

123650-0
here is a pic from my trip in last year to the island of Andros where this plants grow ....I'm sorry to report that my own plants which I had for many years is died this winter- it was to long unusual cold
123652-1
here is a pic of the other ssp. of P. masc. hellenica from Ikaria - thats seedlings grown from seed by me

The big difference is that the leaves of P.hellenica is not glossy -and it has also not this strong red stems .

If you meet Marcus Harvey so please ask him from where his plants orginal came -that would be easier .

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
Fascinating stuff Hans and Robin !
Great foliage and flowers !
Marvelous !  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
Robin, that is beautiful and so early flowering! And exciting too, because of seeding around  8)
Looking at the picture, does it grow on a light shady spot?

Luit,

We have several P. maireis and they all grow in woodland conditions. Dappled shade.

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »

Hi Robin ,

It is interesting what you write with P. mairei - I grow these plants since many years and they are here also always one of the first ....but I had never any frutis or seeds on them ( I have two different clones from different sources ) -OK - I have never hand pollinate it ...but they grows side by side ....

Hi Hans,

I have 3 clones of P. mairei. I also never hand pollinated any of them and they produce seed every year abundantely. Almost every seed germinates and grows much faster than the other peony species.

Robin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:20:55 PM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
The leaves of the species I photographed were quite glossy, much more so than in your picture Hans, of P. m. hellenica. I'll forward my picture to Marcus and see what he thinks. He has a new seed list out with both subspecies listed so I'm ordering both.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
Hi after a nice visit to Serra de Aires in Portugal organizedby the APO (association of orchidophilis (orchid lovers) in Portugal) I have some pictures of wild paeonia.
From distance they almost looks like a inense tulip  ::)
I love them and try to grow some in the garden as well.
All of them are gardencenter varieties except for a P delavayi  seedlings. These are growing so that they get trampeled  :'( so not so good progress as what I wanted.
Here are the wild followed by the tree peony that was flowering 1 month ago.
It was windy as h.ll when taking the picture so that is whay I did not manage to get it in center. The day after i had broken and was lying on the ground. :'( :'( :'(
The wild ones are P broteroi

enjoy
Joakim
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:19:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 03:29:11 PM »
What beautifull plants everybody !!
Hans and hans and Oron, flowers and leaves are crasy !

Here is one of my favourite Paeonia, from Crete , P. clusii ( same as your's Oron ), just starting to flower now.
Very nice plant but really very very very.... slow to grow from seeds : about 8 years to get the first flower  ??? ::)

Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
The first one here in the garden P. mascula mascula (?)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
Here is one of my favourite Paeonia, from Crete , P. clusii ( same as your's Oron ), just starting to flower now

Fred,

Indeed a very attractive plant but difficult to please in my garden. Much easier to grow and also a beautifull plant is Paeonia obovata alba:

Robin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal