We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2009  (Read 28481 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Paeonia 2009
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
Lovely paeonies and pictures all.

This is a generous gift from a good friend - a layer of a good form of Rockii - its first flower
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
Ian did I understand it correctly that "layer" means that it originates as a low branch that has been rooted by bending it down into the soil while still attached to the mother plants?
I have not seen it done on Paeonias before so I got surprised! But the things I do not know can fill many books ::)
Nice plant
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
For me Ian this Peonia rockii is absolutely my favourite large flower form and colour (I grew it once upon a time too) - you have taken a wonderful photograph and I hope you don't mind that I've downloaded it to enjoy on my desk top  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »
Very nice indeed Ian.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
Ian did I understand it correctly that "layer" means that it originates as a low branch that has been rooted by bending it down into the soil while still attached to the mother plants?
I have not seen it done on Paeonias before so I got surprised! But the things I do not know can fill many books ::)
Nice plant
Kind regards
Joakim
Absolutely correct Joakim a lower branch is wounded and pegged into the ground producing a new plant. This one is a beauty as it has a few suckers which means that it should produce a plant of nice shape

For me Ian this Peonia rockii is absolutely my favourite large flower form and colour (I grew it once upon a time too) - you have taken a wonderful photograph and I hope you don't mind that I've downloaded it to enjoy on my desk top  :)

Robin you are most welcome. Paeonies are the most beautiful things aren't they. It's a shame that the flowers can't last just a little longer  :(

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
I may have mentioned this before but I think it bears repeating: a friend was dying and her belovedwas visiting her every day in hospital.  Her Paeonia rockii was full of buds and each day he took a bloom in to her to cheer her, when she died there was only one bloom left to adorn her ciffin. So sad but so beautiful.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ruweiss

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »
Insects also enjoy the rich amount of pollen in the paeonia flowers, sometimes they are so heavily loaded
with it,that they can hardly start again.
I received P. ostii as a seedling 2 years ago and it amazes me, how quick it grows.

Paeonia officinalis
 Paeonia arietina alba
 Paeonia ostii 1
 Paeonia ostii 2
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:10:01 PM by Maggi Young »
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:06 PM »
Insects also enjoy the rich amount of pollen in the paeonia flowers, sometimes they are so heavily loaded
with it,that they can hardly start again.
I received P. ostii as a seedling 2 years ago and it amazes me, how quick it grows.

Your P. ostii is really growing well, Rudi. What fine foliage it has to set off those lovely flowers.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »
Diane, you and everyone else here, are better able than I to talk about hybrids v. species where P. mloko is concerned, so I shouldn't have said "definitely." I've know mloko for close to 50 years as a yellow flowered plant and I've also had my own hybrids between it and cambessedesii which are yellow flushed with pink so I made the assumption, but of course I don't know what the type colour was.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
Ian thanks for the information. I did not know it was needed to wound it but I may test that. We do this with Camelia japonica, but have so far not wounded them (deliberately). Our tree peonies are either to small or have a more upright way of growing so we have not tested this method,yet. We will now. :)
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
I recently gave a friend a seedling from my P. mlokosewitschii in bud. When it flowered it was bright pink!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »
Anne did You or a bee polinate the plant?
This shows how tricky it is.
Kind regards
Joakim

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
Paeonia cambessedesii flowering in a large trough. Flowers often abort bot not this year, thankfully.  Phlox bifida & Saxifraga corymbosa also in view.
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
Very nice indeed Mike.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
Very nice indeed Mike.

I second that motion !!!
Lovely Mike !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal